Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2015, 03:02 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,461,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
I disagree with the statement but it was basically saying that women have it easier as they are the ones that control whether or not a relationship will continue/flourish or fizzle and be terminated. Based on my experience, this is not the case as either person can decide to end a relationship for whatever reason or no reason at all.

Hopefully these threads have illustrated that the concept of a female being able to date whomever she pleases without putting in any effort whatsoever (and being able to land any guy she wants just b/c she's a she) is not accurate.
I think men want to push forth interactions more than women. I think women decide when it ends more often (after one date, in divorce court, etc.). Remember that the woman files for divorce far more often than the man does.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:08 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Remember that the woman files for divorce far more often than the man does.
Not that old chestnut again. The person who gets around to filing the paperwork isn't necessarily the one who ended the marriage.

There are men out there who will coast along in a bad or unsatisfying relationship because it's better than nothing. In that same situation, some women think that no, nothing would actually be better (especially if she's the one taking care of that guy.)

Old 10-18-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Not that old chestnut again. The person who gets around to filing the paperwork isn't necessarily the one who ended the marriage.

There are men out there who will coast along in a bad or unsatisfying relationship because it's better than nothing. In that same situation, some women think that no, nothing would actually be better (especially if she's the one taking care of that guy.)
Who ends a marriage then? I think the person who files the paperwork ends it. There's really no other good way to measure it. The person who ends a non-marriage relationship is the person who says the breakup words first.

Women think nothing is better than something because it is easier for a woman to create something new because there's always more demand for what's between their legs.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:20 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Who ends a marriage then? I think the person who files the paperwork ends it. There's really no other good way to measure it. The person who ends a non-marriage relationship is the person who says the breakup words first.
My friend's ex husband moved out and in with another women. My friend filed the divorce papers after 6 months of waiting for him to do it. Who ended the marriage? A husband refuses to discuss problems in the marriage and won't go to counseling. The wife files for divorce. Who ended the marriage?

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 10-18-2015 at 03:39 PM..

Old 10-18-2015, 03:25 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
I disagree with the statement but it was basically saying that women have it easier as they are the ones that control whether or not a relationship will continue/flourish or fizzle and be terminated. Based on my experience, this is not the case as either person can decide to end a relationship for whatever reason or no reason at all.

Hopefully these threads have illustrated that the concept of a female being able to date whomever she pleases without putting in any effort whatsoever (and being able to land any guy she wants just b/c she's a she) is not accurate.
I know what he was trying to say and I was trying to point out how erroneous it was.

As for the bolded - I don't think that the people that blame everything on women or think that women have it so easy will ever be able to see that it's not true - no matter what. It's unfortunate.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:

Women think nothing is better than something because it is easier for a woman to create something new because there's always more demand for what's between their legs.
Who files the paperwork is not who is choosing to end the marriage. I make my husband's doctor's appointments for him when he asks me to. That doesn't mean that they were my decision.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
Who files the paperwork is not who is choosing to end the marriage. I make my husband's doctor's appointments for him when he asks me to. That doesn't mean that they were my decision.
I'm not sure that is really analogous. I don't think there is a better gauge on who ends a marital relationship than the filer of the paperwork.

In a situation where there is something like the "2 dates and done" thread, the person who ends the relationship there is the person who doesn't respond to the offer of the next date. If an offer of another date was made, and it went unresponded to, the non-responder ends it. And I would venture to say that most of the time, the woman is the non-responder.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure that is really analogous. I don't think there is a better gauge on who ends a marital relationship than the filer of the paperwork.

In a situation where there is something like the "2 dates and done" thread, the person who ends the relationship there is the person who doesn't respond to the offer of the next date. If an offer of another date was made, and it went unresponded to, the non-responder ends it. And I would venture to say that most of the time, the woman is the non-responder.
I think it is completely analogous. In most of the marriages I know - the women take care of things like doctor's appointments, thank you notes, schedules, etc. SOMEONE has to file the paperwork - even if they BOTH want a divorce. The two most recent divorces that I know about - I do believe it was the women that filed. One of the marriages dissolved because the husband couldn't stop cheating. The other marriage dissolved because the husband was sexting other women, had an out of control temper, and constantly told her how worthless she was and that he should divorce her. The women didn't choose to end the marriages. They simply filed the paperwork.

And the 2 date and done thread - you are only seeing one aspect of dating. I've had more friends that I can count that went on one date with a guy and never heard from him again.

Why is it SO HARD for some of you guys to accept that women do not control every aspect of dating and relationships? This is just beyond ridiculous to me. Do you really think that no woman has ever been dumped before or had some guy ghost on her? It happens ALL THE TIME.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:18 PM

11,798 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Why is it SO HARD for some of you guys to accept that women do not control every aspect of dating and relationships? This is just beyond ridiculous to me. Do you really think that no woman has ever been dumped before or had some guy ghost on her? It happens ALL THE TIME.
It's more difficult to play the victim/martyr if they acknowledge that everyone struggles?

Old 10-18-2015, 04:30 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,336,673 times
Quote:
I think it is completely analogous. In most of the marriages I know - the women take care of things like doctor's appointments, thank you notes, schedules, etc. SOMEONE has to file the paperwork - even if they BOTH want a divorce. The two most recent divorces that I know about - I do believe it was the women that filed. One of the marriages dissolved because the husband couldn't stop cheating. The other marriage dissolved because the husband was sexting other women, had an out of control temper, and constantly told her how worthless she was and that he should divorce her. The women didn't choose to end the marriages. They simply filed the paperwork.

And the 2 date and done thread - you are only seeing one aspect of dating. I've had more friends that I can count that went on one date with a guy and never heard from him again.

Because it's comforting and provides an external scapegoat.

It's much easier for a guy who struggles with relationships to say women hold all the cards and think he's just a sheep waiting to be slaughtered than to be introspective and critical of his own behavior and, perhaps more importantly, change established behavior.

As mentioned in other threads, the power dynamic in dating (if you will) does favor women quite a bit at the younger ages, think college -- 30. After that, it evens up a bit and shifts to mens' favor. Either way, there are no shortage of relationships that ended or failed to takeoff b/c the man was not interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.