Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2022, 03:21 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times

Advertisements

You will have to pry my Amazon card from my cold dead hands.

They save me money, time AND aggravation.

Just when I thought it couldn't get better I realized if I got their card I get cash back, that you can use in the next billing cycle.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2022, 03:37 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,673,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
You will have to pry my Amazon card from my cold dead hands.

They save me money, time AND aggravation.

Just when I thought it couldn't get better I realized if I got their card I get cash back, that you can use in the next billing cycle.
Oh, don't even get me started on cash back cards. I've been gaming that system for years. I got over $900 back last year and over $700 the year before.

I have one card that processes rewards in real time, so you can get your cash back credit instantly, as soon as a transaction posts.

Old 02-09-2022, 12:23 PM

I interviewed for a senior promotion back in December and I sure thought I'd hear something by now. My annual review is this afternoon and I will be asking if there's any update.

Funny thing. I am not very comfortable discussing salary with other employees. I know that it makes sense for the best interests of a workforce, I've heard the arguments, and I know that it's my right to do that under the law (no matter what companies put into handbooks and hiring offers!) But it always made me uncomfortable. But I think I might be underestimating myself. I was pretty tickled with the rate at which I was hired, it was 12% more than I'd made before at my previous job. I really felt like I was making big progress professionally. I've been happy with my raises, and I feel like I make "good money." And yet I have struggled to cover my expenses since I moved last year. However...

My rent went up by $530
My husband's contributions went down by $470 (because he retired and went on Social Security so that he could care for his Dad.)
My son has needed about $900/month in assistance that I've struggled to give him (and I have just stopped, since he has a job and we hope that he keeps it.)
But my taxes and my car insurance went down a little.

I've been tightening my belt in lots of other ways, but it still seems hard to break even.

Yet I found it hard to believe that my employer would want to pay me a whole lot more than I make now... Until yesterday. A friend got in touch to let me know that he's getting out of the military. He was in a very specialized, elite division and was of high rank. He was talking about what kind of work he hoped to get when he is done, and I wanted to recommend my company because it's really a good company. I went to the website to see what openings there were, though because I wasn't sure if we had anything that would be high enough in terms of responsibility and pay for where he might be comfortable, coming off his military career... And I found a job listing that was 2 ranks lower than mine, where the pay was shown. It turns out that my pay falls in the high end of the "entry level" range for my company, in terms of what they pay new hires, now.

I always had a feeling that the old thing of being a "company man" (or woman) was obsolete, and that if you stay with a company, your annual pay raises will not keep up with an offer you can get if you go bounce in as a new hire with a new hire's pay range somewhere else, like at least every few years or so. I've been with this employer about 10 years now.

I don't really want to find a new job somewhere else, though. I think I'd have to go finish my degree to really get what I am "worth" at this point, even though I have over 20 years in the field. But it really has me wondering what they plan to offer me as a raise if I get promoted, and if I should haggle for more. I hate haggling.../sigh...

Old 02-09-2022, 02:30 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I interviewed for a senior promotion back in December and I sure thought I'd hear something by now. My annual review is this afternoon and I will be asking if there's any update.

Funny thing. I am not very comfortable discussing salary with other employees. I know that it makes sense for the best interests of a workforce, I've heard the arguments, and I know that it's my right to do that under the law (no matter what companies put into handbooks and hiring offers!) But it always made me uncomfortable. But I think I might be underestimating myself. I was pretty tickled with the rate at which I was hired, it was 12% more than I'd made before at my previous job. I really felt like I was making big progress professionally. I've been happy with my raises, and I feel like I make "good money." And yet I have struggled to cover my expenses since I moved last year. However...

My rent went up by $530
My husband's contributions went down by $470 (because he retired and went on Social Security so that he could care for his Dad.)
My son has needed about $900/month in assistance that I've struggled to give him (and I have just stopped, since he has a job and we hope that he keeps it.)

I've been tightening my belt in lots of other ways, but it still seems hard to break even.

Yet I found it hard to believe that my employer would want to pay me a whole lot more than I make now... Until yesterday. A friend got in touch to let me know that he's getting out of the military. He was in a very specialized, elite division and was of high rank. He was talking about what kind of work he hoped to get when he is done, and I wanted to recommend my company because it's really a good company. I went to the website to see what openings there were, though because I wasn't sure if we had anything that would be high enough in terms of responsibility and pay for where he might be comfortable, coming off his military career... And I found a job listing that was 2 ranks lower than mine, where the pay was shown. It turns out that my pay falls in the high end of the "entry level" range for my company, in terms of what they pay new hires, now.

I always had a feeling that the old thing of being a "company man" (or woman) was obsolete, and that if you stay with a company, your annual pay raises will not keep up with an offer you can get if you go bounce in as a new hire with a new hire's pay range somewhere else, like at least every few years or so. I've been with this employer about 10 years now.

I don't really want to find a new job somewhere else, though. I think I'd have to go finish my degree to really get what I am "worth" at this point, even though I have over 20 years in the field. But it really has me wondering what they plan to offer me as a raise if I get promoted, and if I should haggle for more. I hate haggling.../sigh...
TBH, as a HR person, I’d tell any employee (off the record) if you are near or at the cap of your pay range, your beat chance at getting a even notable raise is being ready to leave the company. Your feeling has been a reality for me and many of my peers at the beginning of our careers out of undergrad and grad school. In banking, I was getting only 3-4% for raises annually working for two different companies.

I moved to Grocery/HR and they did do a little better with 5-6% for annual raises but I benefited from a promotion and this fiscal year my company retooled the compensation structure which will net a 16-18% raise in Spring. If I didn’t get that raise, I’d probably be looking back in Raleigh/Durham for more money at a new company.

Old 02-09-2022, 03:04 PM

52,285 posts, read 52,713,798 times
The real issue that I think is probably valid argument, is that for any given position what will the market typically pay based on education and experience.

In other words there is only so much money a given job will pay. People should do market research on what their job typically pays based on experience and location etc etc.

I mean it's why people strive to gain skill sets that can command a greater salary. You can't sit in front of management as a barista and expect to get paid outside the typical range of what that job typically commands.

I believe in fair pay and all, but you also have the cold market realities as well.

I made a career switch a few years ago, sort of lateral, but not really, whatever. The point I'm making is that in my last role I was in I was in it for 25 plus years. I was a senior guy and all, but I peaked out salary wise. I had to move up into management if I wanted to get some more of that green.

This newer role I've got a bit more of a range in terms of salary after gaining more experience but it too has it's caps on what the market will bear.

If someone has a lot of experience and been in the role for a long time and if they are performing well of course, they should really be somewhere in the upper 1/3 range pay wise.

Last edited by Chowhound; 02-09-2022 at 03:19 PM..

Old 02-09-2022, 03:08 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
I'm on a hiring committee at work, and it's not unusual for job ads to go out without any salary information, which I think is stupid. There's this weird notion that wanting to know what you'd be paid is greedy or inappropriate, as if everyone is looking for jobs because they just love working.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 02-09-2022 at 03:34 PM..

Old 02-09-2022, 03:14 PM

52,285 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I'm on a hiring committee at work, and it's not unusual for job ads to go out without any salary information, which I think is stupid. There's this weird notion that wanting to know what you'd be paid is greedy, as if everyone is looking for jobs because they just love working.
My company is a HUGE nation wide company but here locally it's just two guys, myself plus my manager/co-worker.

We've been screening resumes off and on for a while.

I feel bad when we get sent something by our recruiter and it's something that I shake my head and think how the hell did this even get passed along to us. The resume's are fine and many people have great skills and education, just not what we're looking for.

The thing that is rough too is when you actually sit and do interviews. One time this poor guy was so nervous he was just about crapping his pants.

I actually ended up asking him some softballs to sort of help him get his nerve and confidence back.

Old 02-09-2022, 03:31 PM

Thing is, I have no idea what my salary range is. My position is unique. I do know where it is in terms of ranking, as it relates to other jobs.

The listing I saw was for a job ranking two steps LOWER than mine (so it would have a lower pay grade on it) yet my salary falls within the high end of its range. That should not be MY salary range.

What I'm saying is that I think that the scale for what new hires make is a lot higher than what existing employees get bumped to over the years. Kind of like how your landlord will raise the rent 5% a year while you live there maybe but as soon as you move out, they relist it for hundreds of dollars more, to keep up with the market.

I think that there seems to be a different range that applies to new hires, compared to existing employees. Although they do reward retention in other ways, like with more PTO over time...so there's that.

Anyways, it just got me to thinking.

I just got the best review I've ever had, so we'll see how much more $$$ that translates to. I will find out that, and whether I am being promoted, in the beginning of next month, I'm told.

Old 02-09-2022, 04:00 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

My rent went up by $530

I'd haggle...The last "lateral" move I made to a different department I asked for and got a bump up to the next highest pay grade. I wasn't going to but I figured it was my last chance to get a decent raise before I retired and of course every raise after is a percentage so it would have quite an impact on later salary...and on SS benefits...etc. It was a gamble but my new boss had a reputation of being a great guy to work for so I figured I had nothing to lose.

Old 02-09-2022, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I'd haggle...The last "lateral" move I made to a different department I asked for and got a bump up to the next highest pay grade. I wasn't going to but I figured it was my last chance to get a decent raise before I retired and of course every raise after is a percentage so it would have quite an impact on later salary...and on SS benefits...etc. It was a gamble but my new boss had a reputation of being a great guy to work for so I figured I had nothing to lose.
You make a really good point. This is probably the last promotion of my career. They give decent annual raises (usually about 8-10%) but going any higher in the ranks would be management, and I don't wanna.

And if I stick with this company...which I have generally considered doing, I really like the company...that's like another 20 years almost until I hit the early edge of retirement age.

Of course, there are lateral moves and other options. And one day I might change my mind about management ugh...still, never know. Anything could happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships