Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2017, 05:30 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckOfMs View Post
I'd imagine this is part of the reason that many guys complain.
They're expected to put themselves out first emotionally (by facing a possible rejection) and then financially (even if it's only $20).
Bingo!!!

Old 01-10-2017, 05:31 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
None,.

That's the operative word.

You're all irate over something that is not happening.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-10-2017, 05:32 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Bingo!!!

Yes, that's some of the bad parts of being a guy, and there are bad parts to being a woman.

The world is made like for almost everything. Hard for some, easy for some, fair, not fair, etc.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-10-2017, 05:34 PM

636 posts, read 392,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
So what if they would? That still doesn't make them gold diggers.
I absolutely haven't said anything about "gold diggers" so, what are you talking about?

So what if they would?
The post that I was responding to stated that there weren't tons of women trying to get a free meal out of a guy. But, I don't think that's what guys are worried about. I think they're worried about being taken advantage of by someone only being willing to spend time with them if the guy spends money on them.

It's a bit crude, but the obvious analogy is sex.
I imagine most women wouldn't like this
Woman: Do you want to get together?
Man: Are you going to have sex?

Sex and money are different, for sure, but considering feelings how is that different than
Man: Do you want to get together?
Woman: Are you paying?

Both situations are devaluing the person compared to something else (sex or money)

Old 01-10-2017, 05:35 PM

636 posts, read 392,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yes, that's some of the bad parts of being a guy, and there are bad parts to being a woman.

The world is made like for almost everything. Hard for some, easy for some, fair, not fair, etc.
I'm assuming you're a woman.
Would you prefer we try to change the bad parts of being a woman or just throw up our hands and say "not fair"?
Is it the same for men?

Old 01-10-2017, 05:36 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times
Quote:
But why did you want to? Because you wanted to make a good impression? Because you wanted to make her feel special? Because you didn't want to risk her thinking that you were rude or not interested?
Just how I am, and chances are, I asked her out on a date, first. So I do it. But I do not feel obligated to pay and it would be a giant red flag if she had that mindset.

I've never had a bad first date, so I've never been tempted to go dutch. I'd probably still pay for the date, though.

But for it to be a requirement? Ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It's not rampant at all, it's downright rare. Rare enough that most people, even those with some assets, will never ever run into it. Unless they hang out with a certain lowbrow crowd.

Simple enough not to do that.

Add the rarity of it to the notion that if you're suspicious of everyone's intent, you're not going to have fun. Dating is about going out and having fun. If I'm concerned about being used for my modest means, I'm not going to have fun, not much different that if a woman I go out there is going to be on edge and afraid I'm only going to use her for her body, she probably won't have fun. So, I generally try to avoid those people and also not approach things with that mindset. It is ultimately self defeating.
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by natiam View Post
Some of the men on here are cheapskates Lol. If shelling out $20 is that big of a deal to you on a first date (especially if you're the one initiating the date), it looks like you need more than just dating advice. Try the career forum.
This is so lazy, I'm not even going to waste my time.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:38 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,105,782 times
I see both POV.

See, the women who go out with a guy for a free meal made it tough for ALL women. The guys who expect sex for the cost of a date make it tough for ALL guys. Then, there is all the hooey online that people believe that makes dating more (rather than less) difficult for EVERYONE - because each of us deserves a 10 because each of us is a 10 ourselves, right? Let's not forget that some people have little or no manners and/or upbringing.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:42 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,279,139 times
Quote:
Ok, but why did he feel it necessary to even suggest dinner if he knew he was unwilling or unable to pay for it? I would've been fine with just drinks.
He was willing to pay for it...that is, for his meal. Why did you go if you were not willing to pay for your dinner? When I was in those kinds of situations I never assumed someone would be paying for my expenses. If I accepted to go somewhere it was because I wanted, not because someone was twisting my arm. Therefore, I always went with the idea I would pay for whatever I consumed. Not sure why I would feel entitled simply because someone suggested to go somewhere or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Yeah, this guy doesn't sound like a keeper to me. To not even offer to walk you to your car?

So he has to pay for your meals, drinks, walk to you to your car, etc. What else should a man do for you?

Old 01-10-2017, 05:43 PM

332 posts, read 294,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckOfMs View Post
I'd imagine this is part of the reason that many guys complain.
They're expected to put themselves out first emotionally (by facing a possible rejection) and then financially (even if it's only $20).
It's life, people get rejected from all sorts of things. If a guy can't afford to take a girl out to dinner, then don't ask her to go to dinner in the first place. It's as simple as that. Suggest a stroll in the park and maybe scrape up a meal at home. I'd much rather a guy spend that kind of effort than take me to a high end restaurant for some fancy meal anyway.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:46 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
He was willing to pay for it...that is, for his meal. Why did you go if you were not willing to pay for your dinner? When I was in those kinds of situations I never assumed someone would be paying for my expenses. If I accepted to go somewhere it was because I wanted, not because someone was twisting my arm. Therefore, I always went with the idea I would pay for whatever I consumed. Not sure why I would feel entitled simply because someone suggested to go somewhere or whatever.
Hey there, I knew you'd show up soon! I was willing to pay for my dinner and I did. I never said anything about assuming that he would pay for me or feeling entitled to be paid for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships