Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Guys, are you intimidated to approach a taller woman?
Yes 35 30.43%
No 80 69.57%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 11:44 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

I don't know if one of the taller ladies has already started a thread like this, but I couldn't find any. I know the issue of height when it comes to dating has been discussed, with regards with men and also women, so I'm wondering about something...

Are most guys here intimidated by women who are noticeably taller than them, or even slightly taller? Have you noticed this among men? I mean in a dating context, as in approaching/asking out/expressing interest in.

They might be for different reasons. They think that most women want a man who's taller than them, they're afraid she might even overpower them/seem like the 'man' in the relationship, too big to handle/they feel they can't 'dominate them', what others will think, they're just not used to them...

I'm not really scared of them, but I will sometimes I think taller women won't consider me since they'd probably go for a taller guy, and there are plenty of those going around. It doesn't seem that many women actually PREFER a guy who is shorter. Some may prefer someone around the same height, and actually most of the gals I've been attracted to have been around my height or slightly shorter, but seldom shorter.

Actually I'm noticing quite a lot of couples where the woman is shorter. Yesterday I saw a couple where the woman was a lot taller. Or maybe they still stick out a bit. Still seems pretty common here.

Last edited by Trimac20; 07-09-2012 at 12:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 12:07 AM

1,171 posts, read 1,949,417 times
Actually many are attracted to me. For whatever reason, I do not know. I'm not short, but I'm not tall either. I'm 5' 10" and just under 200 pounds. I've been hit on by tall/large women many times. Mostly while working and not really the time or the place to do anything about it. They were aggressive as well. The tallest woman I dated was 5' 8". I tend to prefer the shorties much better. Under 5' 5" I mean with 5' to 5' 3" being perfect. I like their bone structure at that height. They seem to have all the right curves in the right places. I know we have some six footers on here. Some even 6' 3" if I recall. I've never seen a woman taller than 6' in person. Most times they are 5' 8" and under. Would I date a 6'+ woman? I don't really know for sure. She would have to have everything I was looking for. Even so, I think I would be better off setting her up with a taller buddy. My tallest friend is 6' 3". Yeah I know...big girls need love too. Well the little curvy 5' to 5' 3" ones that hear and read how men like 6' sticks their whole lives do too. I tend to gravitate towards them. Most really know how to treat a man. That's my ma, gram and aunt you are talking about. YMMV

Old 07-09-2012, 12:21 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
It really is quite irrelevant what most guy's think about a taller woman since a taller woman isn't going to be interested in putting them in a situation to worry about it. FWIW, at 5'10" I am not really short. I dated a woman for 5 years that was 6'1". She was usually in 3" heels. 4" on Sunday. I loved my Amazon Goddess. I never expected her to be interested in a guy my height and it has never happened again. Even average height black females usually (online) think guys 5'10" are "too short". In real life, average height black women date 5'10" guys all the time, go figure. Two or three times a year I see a couple where the woman is quite a bit taller than the guy... that usually means that the guy is 5'6". Even out here on the west coast where 6' women are not that rare, they are with guys even taller than they are. A guy that is your average American male is not going to be fazed by a woman that is a bit taller. It's not like she out masses him by 25lbs. If she is feminine and clearly all woman, he simply isn't going to be afraid. But... like I said, its not anything that 98.7% of guys need to lose sleep over.

H

Old 07-09-2012, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
It really is quite irrelevant what most guy's think about a taller woman since a taller woman isn't going to be interested in putting them in a situation to worry about it. FWIW, at 5'10" I am not really short. I dated a woman for 5 years that was 6'1". She was usually in 3" heels. 4" on Sunday. I loved my Amazon Goddess. I never expected her to be interested in a guy my height and it has never happened again. Even average height black females usually (online) think guys 5'10" are "too short". In real life, average height black women date 5'10" guys all the time, go figure. Two or three times a year I see a couple where the woman is quite a bit taller than the guy... that usually means that the guy is 5'6". Even out here on the west coast where 6' women are not that rare, they are with guys even taller than they are. A guy that is your average American male is not going to be fazed by a woman that is a bit taller. It's not like she out masses him by 25lbs. If she is feminine and clearly all woman, he simply isn't going to be afraid. But... like I said, its not anything that 98.7% of guys need to lose sleep over.

H
That's what I see around here with ones 5' 9" to 5' 10". They are with 6' 4" -6' 6" guys. What do they want with my scrawny lil' ass anyway? LOL

Old 07-09-2012, 12:37 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
I didn't vote cause I'm a woman, but I'm part of the Amazon tribe here on CD

The guys I've been interested in in the past have mostly been between 5'5 and 5'9, with a few that were taller than me. I've been told by a guy who was 6'5 and a guy who was 6'8 that I was too tall for them, so I'm not sure why people always tell me that I should just 'go for the tall ones'. I want a guy that I get along with, height be damned.

Just as an FYI though, for all you guys talking to taller women, NEVER EVER EVER call them 'big' or 'huge'. Just don't. We can also have issues with our height because it's brought up constantly, so don't make it an issue and try not to obsess over it. And don't tell us we shouldn't wear heels. I'll wear them if I damn well please.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:38 AM

Old 07-09-2012, 12:56 AM

^^Very tall women are looked down on as well as very short women. I guess that's why they made guys in the middle like me. <>

Old 07-09-2012, 12:59 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Tall Girls: Dating Tall Women! - YouTube

I've thought about the breeding thing. If tall guys breed with tall girls and short guys with short girls, I guess we'd have a lot of very tall people and very short people! Maybe if tall people bred with short people it would even out.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:07 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,198,193 times
I'm not really intimidated by tall women (I voted "no" on the poll), but the logical part of me simply tells me that most of the time they wouldn't be interested in me because I'm shorter. I'd hardly call that intimidation.

As it turns out, it seems the great majority of women my age prefer someone to be taller than they are by at least a few inches. This isn't a problem if I'm going for a shorter woman, but I've been told by a fair few women who are average (for Americans, anyway) that they not only want a man who is taller, they want a man who is tall enough to where she isn't taller than he is in heels. Quite the dilemma for me if they're 5"5' and up... but like I said, I wear cowboy boots. They're comfy as hell, take a lot of abuse, and they give me an extra inch and a quarter or so of height...

Old 07-09-2012, 01:09 AM

Stuck In The Middle With You - Stealers Wheel - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships