Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 11:23 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,307,654 times

Advertisements

I have been going to the gym about 4-5 times a week lately. I mainly run but I do weights at least 3 times a week. Until about a year ago, my biceps and forearms were just average but for the last 3 months, they have developed a lot, although I am not yet ripped

One thing I have noticed is that, females at the gym give a lot of attention to muscular guys and I always catch some female watching me when I am doing my weights, even when I am not trying to impress anybody.

I just wanted to understand why so many women are attracted to muscular men? I mean, a lot of muscular guys at my gym are total douches, have no personalities, very self-centered, I even think some may be closet gays.

Is it because women feel secure when they see a muscular man or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 11:29 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,180,561 times
There are just as many women that like tall slender men that like the guys with muscles. It's probably about even. I am not muscular but I am in shape.

Women don't seem to be an issue for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I have been going to the gym about 4-5 times a week lately. I mainly run but I do weights at least 3 times a week. Until about a year ago, my biceps and forearms were just average but for the last 3 months, they have developed a lot, although I am not yet ripped

One thing I have noticed is that, females at the gym give a lot of attention to muscular guys and I always catch some female watching me when I am doing my weights, even when I am not trying to impress anybody.

I just wanted to understand why so many women are attracted to muscular men? I mean, a lot of muscular guys at my gym are total douches, have no personalities, very self-centered, I even think some may be closet gays.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:32 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,012,334 times
The short answer: Women are aroused by muscles and what seems to be an overt indication of strength.

The longer answer:

You state that many of the muscular men at your gym are douchebags, but what you fail to realize is that just as it's impossible for a man to walk into a room full of females and see their personalities so he homes in on whatever is physically attractive and takes his chances from there, so it's impossible for women to just SEE a douche.

I know that I didn't speak to a lot of others during my gym time so I'm wondering whether these people really are the douchebags you allege or whether it's a snap judgment on your part based on the fact that they're working out and clearly paying attention to themselves. Some gym guys are clearly douches; they don't grunt with strain, they scream so everyone will see they're lifting a heavy weight. Many fail to clean up their stations when finished, leaving sweat and scattered weights.

Others are simply working out, keeping to themselves, NOT being extroverted or trying to make friends; that's not douche, it's private. You're not there to socialize, you're there to pump iron and hit the track or treadmill.

And much as we want to fuss about women and what they say they want versus the overt displays of what they want, we don't get to suppress 4.5 million years of evolution over a couple of decades -- period.

Yes, women like muscles. They may not want a guy shredded for contest, with veins and striations all over the place, all pasted down with faux-tan, but they like muscles and strong men. It's not the ONLY thing they like, but it's a foot in the door -- so instead of wasting time (as I did when I was young) resenting women for it, appreciate it and use it to your advantage.

And for the record, not just women like muscular guys; not in any homo-erotic way but men tend to automatically respect OR automatically contest more muscular guys when they speak with authority.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:33 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
I just wanted to understand why so many women are attracted to muscular men?
Do you understand why men are so attracted to big boobys?

Old 12-18-2009, 11:34 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,012,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Do you understand why men are so attracted to big boobys?

*dreamy look*

'Cos they're wonderful...?

Old 12-18-2009, 11:35 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,712,043 times
Another of those self-marketing threads

Old 12-18-2009, 11:37 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,254,763 times

Here is a 1000 words for ya.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:38 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
*dreamy look*

'Cos they're wonderful...?
You got it. Its the same reason women are attracted to muscular men.

*dreamy look*
*long sigh*

Old 12-18-2009, 11:38 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,029,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post

IMO you may be insecure if you feel the need to refer to muscular men as "closet gays", "very self centered", and "total douches". But hey - if it makes you feel like a better man to put others down, then go for it. Have you ever actually spoken with any of those guys? You might want to strike up a conversation with one of them sometime. You may be pleasantly surprised to find that they are probably just average guys who work out a lot. I find a man who cares about his body to be extremely appealing, because I care about mine. We're on the same wavelength as far as body consciousness goes.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:41 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
first off, I don't think women are all that attracted to muscular men. having low body fat seems to be a higher priority, physically speaking.

second, how do you know these guys are douche bags? Do you go around starting conversations in the weight room? If so, you might be the douche bag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships