Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 03:00 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,683,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyShouldIWorry View Post

When women ask in a withering way when I am finally going to settle down, I am polite but think, "they had their chance".
I think women are going to have to change their marketing strategy.

"Why don't you settle down?"

"When will you settle down?"

"Will you settle down with me"

"Settle down dammit and GROW UP!"

Now why in the world would I want to settle down? The word settle means to compromise and give up something. Why settle? What for? Who for?

I don't get it.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:35 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi Braunwyn,

Uh..???
Before I respond further, I probably should have back read the conversation a bit more since I may have been misunderstanding something. If so, please forgive.

Quote:
Who said I was talking about significantly younger women?
I figured that based on the mention of generations (baby boomers and gen Xers). I assumed a generation difference would be signifcant age difference.

Quote:
Men who want marry or commit, do so at an earlier age and are certainly more tempted to do so for many reasons, which of course nature intended. Since age spreads average 6 years, I am going to guess this age spreads out as people age such that men in their 50s, who are desirable, can interest women in their 40s. Since the Boomer cohort is large, it adds supply to Gen-X women.
I guess this is where my misunderstanding is coming from. I think of boomer and I think of my mom, who is 70 this year. I think of gen ex and I think of myself (30s). I suppose some can be much closer in age when on either end of the two cohorts. My cousin (in her early 40s) considers herself on the cusp of the boomers. That has always confused me since her mom is a boomer.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:55 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Don't feel too bad about not being good looking according to "pop culture" standards. Especially when today's pop culture requires someone to look like this

or like this

then do you really want to deal with lemmings who revolve their lives, tastes, and preferences over what's cool in "pop culture."
I don't feel bad about not looking like that. I am glad I don't look like that. My younger brother(who will turn 18 this month) practically idolizes Li'l Wayne. He doesn't dress quite like Li'l Wayne, but he does have that somewhat "ghetto" swagger. He is the one many of the girls like. When I was his age, I was nothing like that. I was preppy,nerdy type. I basically caught crap from a few people for "acting White" and not just from some of the Black kids. Some of the White kids would do it too. In short, my high school life was far different from my brother's life. I am glad I don't fit the "standard" for pop culture. I do my own thing. Some people don't like me as I am. Whatever. Does that mean I feel any less lonely? Not at all. It still stinks not having a girlfriend. At the same time, if I were to change my whole persona, my whole being,for the sake of getting a girlfriend, I would end up resenting that woman for not letting me be true to myself. I would hate myself for not being true.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:14 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,858,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian
Don't feel too bad about not being good looking according to "pop culture" standards. Especially when today's pop culture requires someone to look like this

or like this

then do you really want to deal with lemmings who revolve their lives, tastes, and preferences over what's cool in "pop culture."

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I don't feel bad about not looking like that. I am glad I don't look like that. My younger brother(who will turn 18 this month) practically idolizes Li'l Wayne. He doesn't dress quite like Li'l Wayne, but he does have that somewhat "ghetto" swagger. He is the one many of the girls like. When I was his age, I was nothing like that. I was preppy,nerdy type. I basically caught crap from a few people for "acting White" and not just from some of the Black kids. Some of the White kids would do it too. In short, my high school life was far different from my brother's life. I am glad I don't fit the "standard" for pop culture. I do my own thing. Some people don't like me as I am. Whatever. Does that mean I feel any less lonely? Not at all. It still stinks not having a girlfriend. At the same time, if I were to change my whole persona, my whole being,for the sake of getting a girlfriend, I would end up resenting that woman for not letting me be true to myself. I would hate myself for not being true.
This may work to attract strippers, h00kers, entertainers and the like.

The professional women I know, support a more conventional looking type of man.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:17 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,858,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyShouldIWorry

When women ask in a withering way when I am finally going to settle down, I am polite but think, "they had their chance".

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I think women are going to have to change their marketing strategy.

"Why don't you settle down?"

"When will you settle down?"

"Will you settle down with me"

"Settle down dammit and GROW UP!"

Now why in the world would I want to settle down? The word settle means to compromise and give up something. Why settle? What for? Who for?

I don't get it.
Meddlers are never looking for themselves. They are from the "misery loves company" school. They usually have someone who is really desperate in mind for you. Its "so unfair that they don't have a man!"

Old 03-01-2010, 11:45 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,683,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyShouldIWorry

Meddlers are never looking for themselves. They are from the "misery loves company" school. They usually have someone who is really desperate in mind for you. Its "so unfair that they don't have a man!"
Every two months for a day I go visit my grandma and my aunts.

My aunts constantly harass me why I wont "settle down" and when I am getting married? Obviously I am having too good of a time.

After we end that conversation, I then listen to them complain about men in general and their husbands. For a couple of hours or so.

My grandmother used to be the same 15 years ago, but she tells me now "if I was you, I wouldn't bother settling down, have a good life" and "if you do get married you better watch who you hook up with".

I am just someone with an adventure mindset. I am constantly developing one project, executing it, then moving on to another one. I am a seasonal or task oriented person, with a start and a finish. I'm not a 9 to 5er, with the bog standard suburban life as something I want. But there are not many women out there like me and most find that interesting for a while, but then all they can think about is me "settling down" and granite countertops and diamond rings and me living in a McMansion with a McCar driving the kids to McSoccer then having a McHappyMeal, etc.

And then it ends. I am not someone that fits the paradigm so that is that.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:57 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,791,409 times
too much risk and not enough reward...and too high standards from women in my experience, but that's just me

Old 03-02-2010, 03:31 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,353,976 times
Thats an easy one. Women dont want to be pursued anymore. This is my experience anyways. These days asking a girl out is dangerous. Women are becoming more and more fake as time goes by. They say they want one thing but actually want something else.

Take your pick.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:31 PM

951 posts, read 1,811,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured_kidult View Post
Thats an easy one. Women don't want to be pursued anymore. This is my experience anyways. These days asking a girl out is dangerous. Women are becoming more and more fake as time goes by. They say they want one thing but actually want something else.

Take your pick.
There are so few men who are in their 20s that meet the dream of most women that only a fool or a model waits to be approached. They need to be able to attract these men and fortunately, they get lots of practise in these skills starting with the football team in the 8th grade. Men who approach them are just obstacles in their way, when they are looking for the guys they want. This is why it often gets nasty for such men.

Any woman who is over forty must really be living in the 1950s to think that she can just wait and expect a catch to come for her. The odds are bad enough even if she is proactive. Only a very small percentage of women keep their appearance into their forties and can get another chance with a "Mr. Right" and even then they have to carry some of the load.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:30 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,374,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Before I respond further, I probably should have back read the conversation a bit more since I may have been misunderstanding something. If so, please forgive.

I figured that based on the mention of generations (baby boomers and gen Xers). I assumed a generation difference would be signifcant age difference.

I guess this is where my misunderstanding is coming from. I think of boomer and I think of my mom, who is 70 this year. I think of gen ex and I think of myself (30s). I suppose some can be much closer in age when on either end of the two cohorts. My cousin (in her early 40s) considers herself on the cusp of the boomers. That has always confused me since her mom is a boomer.

Hi Braunwyn,

Well, you always were the reasonable one between us. I am a crusty 41 and I am no boomer.

Here is Wikipedia, which considering the subject matter, seems credible enough. Basically it begins when boomers end so its all the same.
Generation X, commonly abbreviated to Gen X, is the generation born after the baby boom ended[1][2], with earliest birth dates used by researchers ranging from 1961 to the latest 1981

Eitherway there are more older men than there would otherwise be. Heck, even my 20 year old girl friend was being propositioned, with some effect, by a 30 something. He was her former English teacher(and his wife was so mean..).

Women in their 40s actually have some resources. They can dress up and slim down to counter the Twinkle stuffed, sweat pant, ambivalence of their younger competitors, and they will fall for some of the slicker boomers.

Who would you rather hang with?

A guy like this?
Daniel Vasella - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or this?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships