Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2016, 09:56 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
...snip...

And those "Christian" preachers that celebrate this violence are few and far between, and are immediately rebuked and condemned by other Christians.
Some Christians no doubt rebuke and condemn such preachers but why have they kept their jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 09:57 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Some Christians no doubt rebuke and condemn such preachers but why have they kept their jobs?
And their HUGE congregations? And is 100 or more that have gone public really "far and few between?"

For evey ONE that goes public, how many are still in the CLOSET of LGBTQ HATE?

Old 06-17-2016, 09:59 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Was he a radical Muslim? Or a Muslim? I get told her every day that a Christian is anyone who identifies as a Christian--and we all get held to the same standard.

There are numerous people on this thread that have held Christians in contempt because they view our attitude toward homosexuality as negatively as this Muslim.

And those "Christian" preachers that celebrate this violence are few and far between, and are immediately rebuked and condemned by other Christians.
Have you PUBLICLY condemn ed FRANKLIN GRAHAM???

Old 06-17-2016, 10:01 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
My apologies. I did not see your correction, and I thank you for pointing out that Iran "only" hangs homosexuals and does not toss them off of buildings as other Muslims do.
It as wrong that Iran executes homosexuals as it was when the US did. Way back when. The US has moved forward; it seems Islam is about 2-300 years behind nations led by Christians.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:01 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
My apologies. I did not see your correction, and I thank you for pointing out that Iran "only" hangs homosexuals and does not toss them off of buildings as other Muslims do.
Due process of law,just as you will have in the US should it become the Christian nation the Fundies think it ought to be.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:02 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
We (society) have always "picked and chosen" what is harmful or not. That is our responsibility to do, based on as factual and objective a basis as possible.

You (fundamentalism) have never "picked and chosen" but have simply done as you are told, not by your scriptures per se (because your personal subjective interpretation of them has no more or less standing than anyone else's), not by your god (because your personal subjective experience of god has no more or less standing than anyone else's) but by your denominational thought leaders essentially. Your thought leaders claim god or the scriptures command it and that these are authoritative, not just for you (fundamentalists) but for everyone (society).

I think the only way forward for fundamentalism is to recognize that it can only be binding on fundamentalists. Then demonstrate the success of fundamentalism as a better way of life such that more people become fundamentalists. Beyond that ... yes, give it a pass other than for yourselves and those who inquire about joining you. The public sphere -- including politics -- is not within the scope of your teachings. The case you make politically or ideologically outside your group against, e.g., SSM has to operate on the same playing field as the rest of society, which is that you can't appeal to your doctrines or beliefs or holy book, but to actual demonstrable societal harms. Actual studies for example that show how what people do in their private sex lives matters to the health and well-being of anyone else or their children, based on actual experience. Not on belief-driven fear and loathing.
Great post. Vizio's answer neglects the part of the equation where a majority is not allowed to vote in and keep sanctions that infringe the right of others to the same priveleges and responsibilities as that majority.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:14 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Have you PUBLICLY condemn ed FRANKLIN GRAHAM???
Why would I? I'm not aware of him inciting any violence or celebrating any violence toward anyone.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:16 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Great post. Vizio's answer neglects the part of the equation where a majority is not allowed to vote in and keep sanctions that infringe the right of others to the same priveleges and responsibilities as that majority.
Rights are in the eye of the beholder, nate. No one was denying anyone any rights. Gay people have always been able to marry and function in society the same as straight people.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:39 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Rights are in the eye of the beholder, nate. No one was denying anyone any rights. Gay people have always been able to marry and function in society the same as straight people.
Oh stuff it. We were BANNED from marrying based on the gender of the person we wanted to marry.

YOU claim that you don't want any harm for us, yet you advocate for laws that harm us. In this country we have the right to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Laws that ban me from marriage infringe on my liberty and my pursuit of happiness. Laws that allow me to be denied service are not treating me equally under the law.

YOU are promoting the very thing that encourages discrimination, and brutality towards me and those like me.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:54 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
What christians? I only "stone" the cultists and Hypocritical Pharisees via rebuke, nothing less, nothing more than what Christ has done and continues to do..
All righty then. You quoted "“Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you and persecute you.”. And with next breath you admit you throw stones, and of course your posting history shows nothing but hate coming your direction.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 06-17-2016 at 11:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality