Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2016, 09:26 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeall View Post
Where is the law that states that freedom of religion gives you the right to enforce your religious beliefs on the general public? You have the freedom to practice your own religion, but that does not you the right to enforce archaic religious laws, or outlandish, Biblical superstitions on nonbelievers.
Jeff has been told the difference 100's (if not 1,000's) of times. He chooses to ignore what the law means and allows, and instead, substitutes what he WANTS it to mean.

Jeff, you are free to practice your religion. So is every other person in the country. You are not free to discriminate against the general public because you think your God doesn't like their kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 10:00 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
But it's quite fine to be intolerant and judgmental against us, huh? I tell you what, mind your own business and leave Christian business owners and churches alone and we'll mind ours. Deal?
Churches can do what ever they want, but businesses must follow the same laws as all other businesses. Sorry, there is no special christian exemption from generally applicable laws.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:10 AM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Freedom of religion is a law too, ya know. You are breaking the law by demanding that Christians violate their religion and limit our freedom. The laws you refer to are highly open to interpretation.
Come on Jeff! Surely there are some religious beliefs you don't agree with and would hate to see be legal.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:23 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeall View Post
Where is the law that states that freedom of religion gives you the right to enforce your religious beliefs on the general public? You have the freedom to practice your own religion, but that does not give you the right to enforce archaic religious laws, or outlandish, Biblical superstitions on nonbelievers.
I see, sooooo -

"I'm sorry, but it is against our faith to get involved with gay weddings. We can not accept your business. Here are some other companies that will be glad to help you."

=

FORCING non-believers to follow Christianity.

Seriously? And you have ZERO I repeat ZERO, and I repeat again, ZERO evidence to support the condescending garbage remark that the Bible is superstitution.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:28 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Churches can do what ever they want, but businesses must follow the same laws as all other businesses. Sorry, there is no special christian exemption from generally applicable laws.
You mean only when the laws favor your group. Let me remind that the law certainly is not applicable in many states like Texas so your argument has no bearing there. Yet your side has no problem scapegoating such businesses even in Texas. That smacks of a desire to shame and hurt anyone who does not bow down to the intolerant left agenda.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:40 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Please explain to me how this basic tenent is VIOLENT and UGLY:

“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Matthew 22:36-40

Not really. Christianity continues to explode in countries like China and as a significant presence in South Korea and the Phillipines. South America is growing in penacostalism. There are 2 billion Christians worldwide. We're not going away anytime soon.
Because the cultists will say my NEIGHBORS are those I attend church with -- NEIGHBOR does not mean EVERYONE...

Old 06-21-2016, 10:43 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,057 times
Quote:
Freedom of religion is a law too, ya know. You are breaking the law by demanding that Christians violate their religion and limit our freedom. The laws you refer to are highly open to interpretation.
Your religion only says that you are not allowed to have gay sex.

PERIOD.

By all means, please explain to me how legalizing same-sex marriage has forced you to have gay sex.

Your freedom of religion hasn't been violated one iota.

No laws have been broken.

Gee, it comes as no surprise whatsoever to find you here on this thread, Jeff, since it has to do with gays. I'm almost afraid to ask what drew you here.

In any event, until such time that you are forced to have gay sex, nothing about gay marriage violates YOUR freedom of religion.

AT ALL.

But I'm more than interested in having you explain to me how it affects your life. Hit the reply button and you'll have a nice big white space to explain not just how it affects your life but how precisely your religious rights are being violated.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:48 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
In all honesty I don't think any non Christian here is giving a pass to any Muslims . They understand who did the killing . But the point of this thread , which often gets overlooked I think, is the Christian response to the killings . And that has in some parts of Christianity been very very poor .
And by and large...the vast majority of Christians I've seen have been appalled by this and condemn it outright. The ONLY ones that aren't are some fringe types that you guys have managed to find in youtube videos or some liberal news outlet.
Quote:

And unfortunately it's no longer confined to just the Westboro degenerates . Regular conservative Christianity has had a problem exposed for them .
That's the thing---that statement is complete nonsense. The ones you've found are fringe types.
Quote:

It remains to be seen how they deal with it . To date , I know of no pastor who has called for the deaths of gays , prayed for the deaths of gays , or openly celebrated the deaths of gays who has been removed by an outraged congregation . One poster here, upon seeing a post with a video of a preacher saying he would pray for God to kill the rest of the gays and finish the job, seemed more concerned with the fact that the guy was preaching once saved always saved than the fact that the guy has just announced he would pray for God to kill more gays .

I really don't get fundamentals anymore . I really don't .
I didn't see that post you're referring to, but there is a wide range of people here that call themselves "Christian" - just like in the real world.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:56 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
And by and large...the vast majority of Christians I've seen have been appalled by this and condemn it outright. The ONLY ones that aren't are some fringe types that you guys have managed to find in youtube videos or some liberal news outlet.

That's the thing---that statement is complete nonsense. The ones you've found are fringe types.

I didn't see that post you're referring to, but there is a wide range of people here that call themselves "Christian" - just like in the real world.
You act as if this is limited to 10-15 pastors . Do you need to be reminded that they preached this to their congregations ? As I have asked before , can you name one that has been ran off by an outraged congregation?

And the post I referred to was from Jeff . Is Jeff now not a Christian in your world ?

I don't think this is as fringe as you wish to pretend among conservative fundamentals . Not a majority view to be sure , but not merely a few bad apples .

I'll close by asking again, have you seen any of these guys get fired by their churches ? Why not ? Why does this question repeatedly get ignored ?

Old 06-21-2016, 10:56 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Please explain to me how this basic tenent is VIOLENT and UGLY:

“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
Those are the basic tenets, but not surprisingly, the haters call it horrible, violent, ugly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality