Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2016, 11:00 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
You mean only when the laws favor your group. Let me remind that the law certainly is not applicable in many states like Texas so your argument has no bearing there. Yet your side has no problem scapegoating such businesses even in Texas. That smacks of a desire to shame and hurt anyone who does not bow down to the intolerant left agenda.
You're right, public accommodation laws are not universal nationwide. Maybe those christian bakers should relocate to Texas, then they will not be breaking the law. And in the Texas bakery case, I specifically said that the baker was not in violation of any law.

The point stands that there is no Christian exemption to generally applicable laws. Just like there is no Muslim, Hindu, or any other religious exemption from generally applicable laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 11:17 AM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
But it's quite fine to be intolerant and judgmental against us, huh? I tell you what, mind your own business and leave Christian business owners and churches alone and we'll mind ours. Deal?
You wouldn't know how to mind your own business, Jeff. The only things I've ever seen from you on this forum is you condemning others for what you consider "sin", and sniveling and whining about being persecuted when anyone disagrees with you....

Old 06-21-2016, 11:31 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,326,494 times
Quote:
Please explain to me how this basic tenent is VIOLENT and UGLY:

“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Matthew 22:36-40
You know precisely what is violent and ugly about it, Jeff.

It's the entire belief that your God condemns non-believers to eternal torture -- which essentially means 2/3rds of the world's current population. It means that, as you go around "loving they neighbor," you're also thinking in the back of your mind that your unbelieving neighbor deserves to be tortured forever.

YOU believe that, Jeff. YOU believe that 4 billion people deserve to spend eternity in torment merely for being born into a different culture or for having a different kind of brain (like myself, for instance).

Why should I like you at all, Jeff, knowing you think I should be torn limb from limb, that I should have my skin flayed from my bones, that I should be roasted alive, and who-knows-what-else because I didn't join your cult?

I can't think of anything more ugly and violent than someone duplicitous enough to smile and befriend those he thinks should be tormented for eternity.

Quote:
Not really. Christianity continues to explode in countries like China and as a significant presence in South Korea and the Phillipines. South America is growing in penacostalism. There are 2 billion Christians worldwide. We're not going away anytime soon.
It's fundamentalism that needs to die a swift death.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:38 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
You act as if this is limited to 10-15 pastors . Do you need to be reminded that they preached this to their congregations ? As I have asked before , can you name one that has been ran off by an outraged congregation?
And I hope their congregations got up and walked out.

You're now saying that they are guilty because they were present when it was said. You watched the video, didn't you? Does that make YOU someone that wants to kill gay people?

Good grief, I'll remind you that it was a MUSLIM that shot up and killed 49 people --not some redneck pastor, nor any Christians. it was a MUSLIM.
Quote:
And the post I referred to was from Jeff . Is Jeff now not a Christian in your world ?
I've not seen Jeff make ANY statement about celebrating the killing of gay people. YOU, on the other hand, seem delighted to post such tripe. Why is that? Are you a homophobe wanting to kill gay people?
Quote:

I don't think this is as fringe as you wish to pretend among conservative fundamentals . Not a majority view to be sure , but not merely a few bad apples .

I'll again say that I have yet to meet any Christian that wants to do something like this.
Quote:
I'll close by asking again, have you seen any of these guys get fired by their churches ? Why not ? Why does this question repeatedly get ignored ?
I honestly don't care to follow them like you apparently do. I wonder why you're so preoccupied with people that spout hate speech. Are you a homophobe?

Old 06-21-2016, 11:43 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,326,494 times
Quote:
Sadly, we will only see more acts from ISIS like this keep happening thanks to an ineffective president who seems powerless to stop them.
LOL!

Ineffective president.

I guess you've never heard of this thing called "Congress" now, have you.

I know you're eager to blame everything on the Left, on Democrats, and on Obama, but if you think the Right and the GOP actually wants to see tighter gun control laws, you're delusional. Their answer is to give everyone an assault rifle so everyone can spray everyone else down with a hail of bullets.

Oh yeah, and just today, congress failed to pass a bill that would strengthen curbs on assault rifle sales to people on terrorist watch lists. So now Al-Qaeda and ISIS don't even have to bring weapons with them. They can just come here and buy their assault rifles at Wal-Mart. They can even identify themselves as members of ISIS and they'd still be able to buy weapons.

Isn't America grand?

And yet you think it's Obama's fault. *snort*

Old 06-21-2016, 12:25 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Please explain to me how this basic tenent is VIOLENT and UGLY:

“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Matthew 22:36-40
Did you forget what thread you are in, Jeff??? That is NOT the basic tenet that is referred to. It is the one that asserts homosexuals are an abomination to God and deserving of death, remember? It is the one you keep defending even after the massacre in Orlando. THAT is violent and ugly, jeff.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
LOL!

Ineffective president.

I guess you've never heard of this thing called "Congress" now, have you.
As the Chief Executive of this country, he takes the lead in regards to things like this. He has proven over and over that his plan of dealing with terrorism has failed. So, yes--he's an ineffective president in regards to homeland safety.
Quote:
I know you're eager to blame everything on the Left, on Democrats, and on Obama, but if you think the Right and the GOP actually wants to see tighter gun control laws, you're delusional. Their answer is to give everyone an assault rifle so everyone can spray everyone else down with a hail of bullets.
What would tighter gun control laws do? Chicago has the toughest gun control laws in the country and it has murders happen every single night.
Quote:
Oh yeah, and just today, congress failed to pass a bill that would strengthen curbs on assault rifle sales to people on terrorist watch lists. So now Al-Qaeda and ISIS don't even have to bring weapons with them. They can just come here and buy their assault rifles at Wal-Mart. They can even identify themselves as members of ISIS and they'd still be able to buy weapons.

Isn't America grand?

And yet you think it's Obama's fault. *snort*
Or they can just go to the streets of Chicago and buy a gun. Despite very tight gun control laws, gang members in Chicago have no problem getting them.

We fault Obama for his lack of interest and his ineffectiveness at going after ISIS. He has declared them to be the "JV Team", and said they're "Contained"...and then they continue to hit places like France (where you can't buy a gun, btw), Belgium, and now a gay nightclub in Orlando, FL.

And the crying shame in it all is that you blame Christians and the GOP for what a radical MUSLIM (and registered Democrat) does.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Did you forget what thread you are in, Jeff??? That is NOT the basic tenet that is referred to. It is the one that asserts homosexuals are an abomination to God and deserving of death, remember? It is the one you keep defending even after the massacre in Orlando. THAT is violent and ugly, jeff.
I have never seen Jeff state that anyone is justified in killing a gay person. Can you please quote that post, or link to it?

Old 06-21-2016, 01:30 PM

23,169 posts, read 10,463,936 times
Quote:
I see, sooooo -

"I'm sorry, but it is against our faith to get involved with gay weddings. We can not accept your business. Here are some other companies that will be glad to help you."

=

FORCING non-believers to follow Christianity.

Seriously? And you have ZERO I repeat ZERO, and I repeat again, ZERO evidence to support the condescending garbage remark that the Bible is superstitution.

There would no sin be in you making a gay cake, IN FACT, there would be sin in you refusing to make a gay cake.

Unless you have some other idea of sin, we are commanded to follow the laws of the land and that's it, and love even goes further in being everything to every man.

That doesn't mean you have to turn gay or even agree with what gays are doing, but through your own sacrifice when you turn to love instead of rudeness, then you show who you really are.

There are two outcomes.

Those gay people would say,'' Wow, we know Jeff is not a supporter of the gay community but look, he showed love anyway, and he proves that he is a lawful citizen.

Those gay people would say,'' Wow, does Jeff think he's going to hell if he bakes a cake? Is his God that bad? You talk about rude, I thought Jeff said Jesus was about love and Jeff is a freaking lawbreaker, what kind of man breaks the law of man and God and then looks at me funny, yup, love huh.''

Hope you don't take to much offence by this Jeff, just looking at outcomes.

Edit--I personally believe a small mom and pop should be able to deny any costumer for any reason, maybe somebody came in wearing red shows and the owner didn't like it, or the soup Nazi just don't want you back for 6 months but after a place goes public, there should not be a choice.

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; 06-21-2016 at 01:39 PM..

Old 06-21-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
There would no sin be in you making a gay cake, IN FACT, there would be sin in you refusing to make a gay cake.

Unless you have some other idea of sin, we are commanded to follow the laws of the land and that's it, and love even goes further in being everything to every man.
There is no law that states that one MUST bake a cake for a wedding.

On the contrary, the 1st Amendment does state that we have a right religion. Weird, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality