Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2016, 09:24 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
And if you place the business owner in compromising position that doesn't exist with other customers, you shouldn't demand that they fulfill your every wish. From a moral pespective (which you stubbornly refuse to even examine), it's no different than asking the owner to write an offensive statement on a cake. Same product, different situations.

Unless everything is 100% equal in the transaction between different groups, you can't claim true discrimination.
Do you support removing the CRA?

Do you support anyone being denied service for any reason?

Do you support the removal of anti discrimination laws that protect Christians?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 09:30 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,880 times
Quote:
And if you place the business owner in compromising position that doesn't exist with other customers, you shouldn't demand that they fulfill your every wish. From a moral pespective (which you stubbornly refuse to even examine), it's no different than asking the owner to write an offensive statement on a cake. Same product, different situations.

Unless everything is 100% equal in the transaction between different groups, you can't claim true discrimination.
Except it isn't the same product. Are these gay couples asking the people to write gay slogans on the cake? Are they asking them to be a participant in the wedding? Are they asking them to do anything other than cook and ice/decorate the cake?

If you have a problem with baking wedding cakes for ALL people who ask for them, then get out of the wedding cake business. What is you guys always say? Oh yea.... Just go somewhere else... In this case, move your business somewhere that will tolerant bigotry, or stop selling the cakes you ignorantly think will hurt your place with God. Some God you got there!

As we have all been saying, even some Christians.... The fact that you don't believe gay people should be treated as equals tells us all we need to know about you and your fundamentalist midset. Disgusting.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:32 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post

He only supports 1 thing.... Christian exception.

We all know he would be on here whining and crying about the moral degradation of society if he was denied service for being a Christian. We also know he wouldn't give a flip if he found out gay people were being denied housing or anything else, because he doesn't think of gay people as being on equal footing.

Good thing his kind of thinking is dying out, albeit slower than I would like.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:44 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,325,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
As the Chief Executive of this country, he takes the lead in regards to things like this. He has proven over and over that his plan of dealing with terrorism has failed. So, yes--he's an ineffective president in regards to homeland safety.
I see, so as a person who I'm betting votes Republican, you would approve of Obama using the War Powers Act to bypass Congress and wage his own private war for 90 days? Yeah, right.

Quote:
What would tighter gun control laws do? Chicago has the toughest gun control laws in the country and it has murders happen every single night.
The City of Chicago has tough gun control laws. The problem is that neighboring municipalities do not. Thus people can simply drive across an imaginary line, buy all the guns they want, and bring them back to Chicago. This is the kind of stupidity that happens when we forgo a strong centralized government and cheerlead for states rights and then allow local governments to make up their own laws -- which is a cherished right wing and libertarian principle.

And Obama is supposed to do what again? Issue some executive orders that the next GOP president will simply overturn with the help of his NRA pals?

Quote:
Or they can just go to the streets of Chicago and buy a gun. Despite very tight gun control laws, gang members in Chicago have no problem getting them.
As I said, that's because the municipalities around Chicago seem not to give a damn about gun violence and apparently feel that gang violence is just one of the prices we have to pay for our infinite right to own as many weapons of any type that we Americans want to have regardless of criminal or mental background.

Quote:
We fault Obama for his lack of interest and his ineffectiveness at going after ISIS. He has declared them to be the "JV Team", and said they're "Contained"...and then they continue to hit places like France (where you can't buy a gun, btw), Belgium, and now a gay nightclub in Orlando, FL.
Obama has also said that it's high time that the rest of NATO steps up and takes a larger role in dealing with threats like ISIS. After all, it WAS France and Belgium that were hit directly by ISIS (Orlando was perpetrated by a "Wannabe" ISIS member but it was not carried out by ISIS).

I agree with Obama that the European nations need to stop expecting America to carry 95% of the weight in military operations given that it costs us huge amounts of money, it's always our boys and girls who make most of the sacrifices, and then America winds up with ALL of the blame if something goes wrong. The rest of NATO sends what amounts to a cheerleading troupe (aside from Britain) even though it is their nations under attack. Here it is, 70 some-odd years later and Americans are STILL dying in defense of France and Belgium. I thought Normandy and Bastogne ended a long time ago ... ?

Quote:
And the crying shame in it all is that you blame Christians and the GOP for what a radical MUSLIM (and registered Democrat) does.
No, the REAL crying shame is you trying to strawman my post ... as nowhere did I EVER try to pin the blame for Orlando on Christians, but I will take issue with the GOP. You're just lucky this isn't the political forum because if you think I'm merciless with religion, just get me going in the political arena ...

Old 06-22-2016, 10:03 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,325,782 times
Quote:
I would suggest that it had more to do with liberal judges reading the law to suit their own bias than anything else.
That's what you people ALWAYS say when the law goes against you.

Blah blah liberal judges blah blah activism on the bench blah blah.

It's one thing to be a broken record. It's quite another to be a broken record skipping on a part of the song that demonstrates a clear cut ignorance of how the courts work AND a clear cut demonstration of the fascism I keep warning everyone about.

Bottom line is that, sorry, Charlie, but you don't always get your own way. That doesn't mean it's because of a bunch of "liberal judges" or because there is "activism from the bench" or any other similar stupidity that I've heard.

You know why?

Because my side doesn't always get its way, either.

Now .... if the Supreme Court were packed with liberal judges as people like you keep bloviating about, don't you think my side would get our way almost all the time? Except we don't.

It's truly amazing how all of these "liberal judges" are suddenly perfectly fine when they're ruling in religion's favor in the case of Hobby Lobby, right? Where did all of their liberalism go?

Why weren't you complaining about those same exact judges then? Oh right, because you got your way.

It's only when you lose when all of the sudden the judges turn liberal and they begin "reading the law to suit their own bias."

In other words, unless the judges ALWAYS agree with you and religious fundamentalism, the judges will ALWAYS be "reading the law to suit their own bias." Until you DO get your own way, at which point the judges, for some inexplicable reason, begin reading the law correctly.

What a load of CRAP, Vizio.

Like I said ... it's just another demonstration of religious fascism whereby religion must always win and it must always have the power and the right to tell everyone else what to do, how to live, and what to believe. Democracy only works when we accept a loss rather than trying to keep Obama from nominating Scalia's replacement in the hopes of maintaining a majority of conservative religious fanatics on the bench. The SSM decision only passed by one vote, remember, when it SHOULD have been unanimous. That's just an example of what happens when religion loses. It won't accept a loss and move on. It has to figure out a way to plug the hole so it will win the next time thereby coming closer and closer to obtaining real power in this country.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:10 AM

10,088 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post

If a gay bakery didn't want to service me because of my beliefs, I wouldn't run to a lawyer up. Just go somewhere else. It's called life. Everyone is not going to give you what you want in real life.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:14 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,618,105 times
Quote:
If a gay bakery didn't want to service me because of my beliefs, I wouldn't run to a lawyer up. Just go somewhere else. It's called life. Everyone is not going to give you what you want in real life.
If you were in a relationship with this gay baker, i am sure he would love to service you.

Gotta love Freudian slips.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:14 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Do you want to try to answer my actual questions? They are pretty simple yes or no questions.

Or are you going to deflect like you always do?

Old 06-22-2016, 11:43 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
A Colorado Appeals Court ruled that a cake baker is not a "religious based" business and therefore is not permitted to take a religious exception to the anti-discrimination laws. If I remember correctly, the ruling did not elaborate as to what might constitute a "religious based" business. I would assume a Christian publishing company, or a Bible book shop, or a communion chalice manufacturer could qualify, but the court did not say. All they said was that a cake baker is not a "religious based" business.

Since the ruling made good sense, it will probably be incorporated into other appeals court rulings in the future. My prediction is that this is how the issue will eventually be determined across the land.

The definition of "religious based" business will be argued in court next. Some people will be unhappy with the results. (Putting crystal ball away for now.)

Old 06-22-2016, 11:49 AM

10,088 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
If you were in a relationship with this gay baker, i am sure he would love to service you.

Gotta love Freudian slips.
Disgusting and uncalled for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality