Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2016, 08:50 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
You seem to think everyone will run in fear from the extremists . I'm betting the normal religious get tired of the extremists and isolate them theologically .

We will see . I don't think anyone is worried about SCOTUS deciding to overturn civil rights to suit some religious people .
Hey...I obviously hope it doesn't go down like I am concerned that it will.
The Religious have NEVER just rolled over...not ever!
I wish it wasn't true...but I really do think there is about to be a revolution lead by the Religious. It is actually happening right now...just not fullblown.
Stuff like these "conscientious objectors" to transactions in business that they feel goes against their Religious convictions...could have been handled very differently.
But for some reason...the government equates behaviors that are known to be switched-up and back and forth, with things that can NEVER be changed like the race of your parents, or what Country one was born in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 12:23 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,712,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Hey...I obviously hope it doesn't go down like I am concerned that it will.
The Religious have NEVER just rolled over...not ever!
I wish it wasn't true...but I really do think there is about to be a revolution lead by the Religious. It is actually happening right now...just not fullblown.
Stuff like these "conscientious objectors" to transactions in business that they feel goes against their Religious convictions...could have been handled very differently.
But for some reason...the government equates behaviors that are known to be switched-up and back and forth, with things that can NEVER be changed like the race of your parents, or what Country one was born in.
Climate change (which ain't happening according to the ultimo-religious) will kill us first.

Corporations are "people" according to Mitt Romney--and they certainly have more "rights" than individuals do in this country. It is corporations that are undermining the multitude of anti-gay legislative attempts. Look at Indiana, look at what almost happened in Arizona, look at Georgia, and now look at the beginning of corporate backlash in North Carolina.

You think that the U.S. Supreme Court is going to rule against a corporation? Not a chance. The entire government mostly ignores the anti-trust provisions of law. That's why banks get too big to fail--as do insurance companies. You think you will get bailed out by Congress if you make a bad business decision?
So the fullblown (sic) revolution will have to be the religious taking over a sufficient number of major corporations that they can make some impact.
Quote:
Looks like North Carolina is paying a serious price — literally. Online-payment company PayPal plans to cancel an operation center in the state, which would have added $3.6 million and 400 new jobs to the local economy. Poof. Gone.

PayPal and 120 other business leaders signed a letter to the governor protesting the new law, and many pledged not to create any new business ventures in the state until the law is repealed.

The NBA also cancelled a 2017 All-Star game in the state. That’s another economic blow—when New York hosted an all-star game, it added about $195 million to the state’s economy.

And Bruce Springsteen even cancelled a concert in the state due to the new law.
This Is the Fiery Backlash Against States With New Anti-LGBT Laws

Say whatever you wish--individual religious beliefs will not "trump" what corporations say. And they want nothing to do with religion within the confines of their company (awww, that's discriminating, right?). Here in Colorado that included firing a lot of Muslims working at a meat packing plant because they wanted to pray like three times a day. The company did make an effort to accommodate them, but the workers wanted a place where all of them could pray together at the same time.
Quote:
About 150 Muslims were fired from their jobs at a beef processing plant in Colorado for failing to show up for work over a prayer dispute.

Last month, a group of 11 workers at Cargill Meat Solutions in Fort Morgan wanted to go pray at the same time in a room in the plant that is set aside for prayer and reflection. Their supervisor asked that the group break up into smaller numbers to not affect production, according to CNN affiliate KCNC.
150 Muslims fired over absences due to prayer dispute - CNN.com

If this had been a "christian" group what an outcry there would have been about "persecution." I don't care whether they are Muslim or Christian or Buddhist or Hindu or Jewish, or Native American--the company's right to set "rules" for breaks is entirely up to the company. They are not people--but the have the rights of a "super" person.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:39 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,087,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I don't do conspiracy theories. Do you have any credible references that explain what the heck you are talking about, or are we in a game of 20 questions here?
And when did I say to do any conspiracy theory?

All I am saying is, watch the news report and find the names of five doctors who took care of the injured patients from the Pulse club, and then check their credentials and reviews. Is there any conspiracy in that?

Doing a research about a doctor is something that you may have possibly done before when finding a PMP? No?

Do the same with these five doctors.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:15 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,373,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
They are asking them to provide a product and service for an immoral ceremony.
No, they are being asked to follow the law that they AGREED to follow when they opened up a business.

Quote:
Would you really have no problem selling your goods if you knew it would be used directly in something that you felt strongly was immoral??
Perhaps I would, but I would still follow the law, or change my business / line of work. I would not use my personal morality, or religion, to claim exemption from a law that everyone else has to follow.

Quote:
Forcing someone to violate their religious beliefs is disgusting.
But no one is doing that. They are simply being asked to follow the laws that they knew they would have to follow when they went into business. No one is forcing them to do anything because they signed up to follow those laws when they registered for a business in a state with those laws.

For example to make an analogy...... If you found something in the TOS of this website for example that was against your religion.... bully for you. You agreed to the TOS when you signed up. It is all on you. Not on the mods. Not on the TOS. Not on the owners of the site. It is solely on YOU because when you signed up to the site you AGREED to the TOS.

It is the same when you register and sign for a business. You AGREE to the laws involved when you do this. Moaning later than one of the laws forces you to go against your religion is no ones problem but your own, and no ones fault but yours.

All you are advocating for is that people following YOUR religion should get special privilege to be made exempt from laws everyone else has to follow. Disgusting.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:37 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post

All I am saying is, watch the news report and find the names of five doctors who took care of the injured patients from the Pulse club, and then check their credentials and reviews. Is there any conspiracy in that?

Doing a research about a doctor is something that you may have possibly done before when finding a PMP? No?

Why?

Old 06-23-2016, 05:55 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post

Having looked at this , if you are not trying to help spread the claim of a hoax shooting, why are you suggesting people go and check out what IS a claim that the entire shooting is a hoax ? You even mention crisis actors, which , while I had never heard the term before , turns out to be people who go from crisis event to crisis event pretending to be victims of said event .

Old 06-23-2016, 07:15 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
You do not represent God, and neither does the Bible. You regurgitate words of ancient men. You feel safe.

How do you know it is really God in that tiny book? The agenda of men is all over it.

So another "Christian" who is anti-Bible? The Bible is our foundation. Without it, God and your faith becomes whatever feels right in your mind. The mind is a battleground and you can be easily deceived by the Devil.

Those words of ancient men are amazingly relevant today. Words of truth that run so deep which is God's intent. He wants us to study His Word every day and mine it deeply. This is how pastors have been able to preach thousands of sermons from the same passages.

And there are also basic truths to be gleaned from the surface.

" Like The rich rules over the poor, and the borrower is the slave of the lender." - Proverbs 22:7

Many people are in slavery today because they let themselves get buried in debt. It is an oppressive feeling that can wreck marriages. The Bible repeats several times to owe people nothing, pay your taxes, and give with no expectation of return.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:28 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
Quote:
So another "Christian" who is anti-Bible? The Bible is our foundation. Without it, God and your faith becomes whatever feels right in your mind. The mind is a battleground and you can be easily deceived by the Devil.

Those words of ancient men are amazingly relevant today. Words of truth that run so deep which is God's intent. He wants us to study His Word every day and mine it deeply. This is how pastors have been able to preach thousands of sermons from the same passages.

And there are also basic truths to be gleaned from the surface.

" Like The rich rules over the poor, and the borrower is the slave of the lender." - Proverbs 22:7

Many people are in slavery today because they let themselves get buried in debt. It is an oppressive feeling that can wreck marriages. The Bible repeats several times to owe people nothing, pay your taxes, and give with no expectation of return.
No, little brother. I do not hate the Bible. I am not anti bible either. I fully understand it was written by men for men to control others, especially women. I see it for what it is.

If you were my only example of biblical teaching, I would never wish to be part of any kind of faith.

Your beliefs are unloving, full of bigotry, and fear of others not like you. All of your mining the Bible has done nothing for you. I do not see kindness, empathy, friendship, or happiness. I feel terrible for you. Your faith has squashed all of Jeff-goodness out of you.

I see you as caught in a faith that does not serve you. It makes you fear others.

I agree there are some sensible, practical writings. However, I do not need to read the Bible to live without debt, pay my taxes, be generous with others with no expectation of generosity in return.

I manage all that without checking to see if it is Bible approved. That is how I live my life.

I do not need to refer to the bible when it comes to LGBTQ. I invite my family, friends and their friends to my table. I am not afraid. I do not need to refer to the bible to be a good person.

Shocking for you, I know. Your mind is a battleground, Jeff. Your faith does not serve you well. Any one can read from a book if they know how to read. Pastors are a dime a dozen, reading the same passages over and over again, and it means nothing.

Someday, I hope to see all of the Jeff-goodness your Bible has suppressed. That day will be awesome.

Last edited by RonkonkomaNative; 06-23-2016 at 10:02 AM..

Old 06-23-2016, 10:36 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
No, little brother. I do not hate the Bible. I am not anti bible either. I fully understand it was written by men for men to control others, especially women. I see it for what it is.

If you were my only example of biblical teaching, I would never wish to be part of any kind of faith.

Your beliefs are unloving, full of bigotry, and fear of others not like you. All of your mining the Bible has done nothing for you. I do not see kindness, empathy, friendship, or happiness. I feel terrible for you. Your faith has squashed all of Jeff-goodness out of you.

Are you loving and accepting of sex offenders? See it all falls into the umbrella of sexual immorality from my perspective. My beliefs are unloving towards sin. Big difference. Your side has twisted and contorted and tried its best to meld the two together, but I still have a heart to love all people as unique creations from God. You can characterize me however you like, but since you don't know me personally, it's not a true characterization. If you base it solely on the faith that I will not embrace homosexuality (it is clearly a sin) then that is a weak basis.

We are discussing highly controversial heated topics here. Of course it's not going to come across as kindness on either side. I'm not going to tell you thank you for making up lies about me. I'm going to tell the truth as I see it. Jesus wasn't that kind with the moneychangers either.

Quote:

I see you as caught in a faith that does not serve you. It makes you fear others.

I agree there are some sensible, practical writings. However, I do not need to read the Bible to live without debt, pay my taxes, be generous with others with no expectation of generosity in return.

I manage all that without checking to see if it is Bible approved. That is how I live my life.

I do not need to refer to the bible when it comes to LGBTQ. I invite my family, friends and their friends to my table. I am not afraid. I do not need to refer to the bible to be a good person.
Then you practice a made up feel good faith. Whatever works for you. Doesn't mean it's true. I follow God's instruction even if it doesn't feel good. At least I don't sink to the level of arrogantly making up lies about people. Yeah that is so kindness.

Quote:

Shocking for you, I know. Your mind is a battleground, Jeff. Your faith does not serve you well. Any one can read from a book if they know how to read. Pastors are a dime a dozen, reading the same passages over and over again, and it means nothing.

Someday, I hope to see all of the Jeff-goodness your Bible has suppressed. That day will be awesome.
You mean the day I accept homosexuality as not being a sin. Sorry, won't happen.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:52 AM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Jeff, when you compare same sex attraction to child abuse or beasteality you are on another wave length than the people you are talking to. Who you are attracted to has a lot more moving parts than sex. This is about love and who you feel bonded to on a different level than I want to put my wiener in a goat. Are you trying to say that you have never been in love and if you had it was only about sex?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality