Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2016, 06:43 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
i know of no atheist that hates christians for being christian . They hate their destructive actions, such as the gay bashing that leads to things like this topic. They hate the intolerance of many christians . They hate christians trying to force their bronze age myths and beliefs on a modern day society that should be well past the scientific stage of a nomadic desert tribe of 5000 yrs ago. They may hate the way christians have treated those different from them for the past 2000 yrs ( inquisition, witch burnings, burning heretics at the stake ,etc). But they hate the same actions from muslims .

Its the actions . So perhaps christians and muslims should reflect on how their beliefs and words affect these types of nutters , rather than the christians that spend their lives bashing the gays and proclaiming the destruction of the fabric of society because of gays getting butt hurt when people point out their words and actions when something horrible does happen like this and people call them out on it .
thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 06:56 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,717,123 times
You
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I can think of a few other things Jesus never talked about. Slavery, genocide, sexism. I could go on.
It's fairly obvious you are another biblically illiterate fundamentalist (as I once was).

Would you give us chapter and verse as to how Jesus wants us all to own an AK-47?

Everything is good or bad, black or white, right or wrong in two dimensional fundie minds---unless one of their own is involved, then they make excuses for strike one whereas they call "out" anybody not in their cult.

There has been a growth in morality for most people since the OT laws. A few like yourself remain in the past. Consider Paul as a violator of biblical teaching concerning slavery. From the website RELIGIOUS TOLERANCE:

While in prison, Paul met a runaway slave, Onesimus, the property of a Christian -- presumably Philemon. He sent the slave back to his owner. This action is forbidden in Deuteronomy 23:15-16:

"Thou shalt not deliver unto his master the servant which is escaped from his master unto thee."

"He shall dwell with thee, even among you, in that place which he shall choose in one of thy gates, where it liketh him best: thou shalt not oppress him."

Rather than give the slave sanctuary, Paul returned him to his owner. Paul seems to hint that he would like Philemon to give Onesimus his freedom, but does not actually request it.
------------
Bad, bad Paul, disobeying an edict of the OT.

Jesus spoke to women first--a violation of Jewish cultural codes---and when a disciple criticized a woman for caring for Jesus---she was in a room full of men---Jesus rebuked His disciple.

Killing of any kind Jesus rejected--even to protect the innocent. Consider Peter in the Garden of Gethsemane who drew a sword to defend the most innocent of all--Jesus, who rebuked Him for so doing and healed the High Priest's servant. Logical people would consider that rejection of genocide---but then one must be logical in order to reach that conclusion---which The Society of Friends certainly is.

Jesus healed the boy servant of a centurion who most likely wasn't gay, but used the boy for sexual gratification. If you actually studied the culture existing around that day you would know that the emperor refused Roman soldiers the right to marry, but looked the other way regarding male "attendants."

The story is told in both Matthew and Luke. The Greek terminology referring to the young slave is "pais" which could mean boy, or servant, or a particular kind of servant who provided sexual favors for his Master.

When referring to other slaves Luke has used the word doulos, or slaves, but when referring to this young man he has the servant use the term entimos doulos---precious slave. Matthew makes it more clear by referring to his other slaves as "doulos" but retains "pais" for his special slave.

You can read more about the etymology of the word at Would Jesus Discriminate?

Personally, I think the centurion wasn't gay anymore than I think most men in our prison system was gay. But a Roman soldier in a land where Romans were generally hated was unlikely to obtain female companionship, so he did what he felt he needed to do to satisfy his physical urges---he bought a pais.

This is not the ONLY way to view those verses, but there is enough ambiguity to see it either way. Further, Jesus neither rejected an unbeliever's request, nor condemned him as an illegal alien. And it is the only situation in the gospels where Jesus is presented with a request to help someone other than self or family of self.

I like to see Jesus at His best in helping those despised by others.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 06-12-2016 at 07:16 PM..

Old 06-12-2016, 06:59 PM

10,088 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
There are many people to blame and fundie whack jobs like you are right at the top of the list. The more you vilify, ostracize, tell people they are sinners condemned to hell etc. the more you create an environment where hate is an answer. The actions of the fundie whack jobs are no better than ISIS - in fact I say they are worse. We have decent education here in North America and we know better, they don't have the same benefit as we do and as result act out of ignorance. If one is as ignorant about what the bible actually says and means here in North America, it is because they are ignorant to the core and unwilling to open their minds to the true message of Jesus.
Stereotyping is the first level towards persecution and you do that by labeling all Bible believing Christians as "whack jobs". How arrogant and insulting to suggest that we are all mentally ill. And then to say we are even worse than ISIS who murder and rape people. Sad that your kind have no problem just making up ridiculous overblown lies to justify your own hate for us. Tell me, if this had been a Baptist church full of Christians who do not support homosexuality, would you have ANY sympathy for the victims? Or would you say we got what we deserved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post

On this day when 50 of my GLBT brothers and sisters were slaughtered in the name of religion, I want to vomit at the thoughts of the many fundie whack jobs on here (hrm... begins with je or sc or... you get the picture) continuing to push their message of intolerance and acceptance.

Try love and peace for once, who knows you might actually begin to behave like a Christian if you do instead of a closed minded troglodyte that you portray to the rest of us here on C-D.

[/quote]

Sorry, I have no love for sin. I'm not going to deny the truth of God and embrace sin because a stranger says I'm a whack job. I see only condemnation and anger in your posts. Go vomit your lies elsewhere.

This thread was nothing more than a witch hunt. I should have stayed out of it, but I took the bait because I can't stand people who distort the truth for their sinful agenda.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Joseph?

You know Jeff as a buddy or therapist? How do you get off claiming to know all about this fellow, whom you have never met???

May I view your broad brush? If I were your mother I would say you should be ashamed of yourself for making such assumptions. Do you make the same assumptions about blacks or Mexicans? I don't think God blesses anyone with the ability to assume and judge others we do not know.
Do you read CD much. Jeffie displays his heart constantly. It's pretty ugly and he wears it as a badge of pride.

I'm truly the worst sinner I personally know. Jeff is a close second. I would be happy to refer you to a gay Christian pastor to help you get over your problems.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
I know of no atheist that hates Christians for being Christian . They hate their destructive actions, such as the gay bashing that leads to things like this topic. They hate the intolerance of many Christians . They hate Christians trying to force their Bronze Age myths and beliefs on a modern day society that should be well past the scientific stage of a nomadic desert tribe of 5000 yrs ago. They may hate the way Christians have treated those different from them for the past 2000 yrs ( Inquisition, witch burnings, burning heretics at the stake ,etc). But they hate the same actions from Muslims .

Its the actions . So perhaps Christians and Muslims should reflect on how their beliefs and words affect these types of nutters , rather than the Christians that spend their lives bashing the gays and proclaiming the destruction of the fabric of society because of gays getting butt hurt when people point out their words and actions when something horrible does happen like this and people call them out on it .
Wow such hypocrisy. You say you hate the actions, but not the actual person. Likewise, we say we hate the actions and lifestyle of homosexual people, not the actual person, but your side stubborn rejects that. Oh no, we must gay people according to you. And if it doesn't directly show that we hate gay people then ya'll just make stuff up like saying I would want to picket their funeral.

Sad that your side can't be reasonable and not go ballistic in these discussions.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:04 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Stereotyping is the first level towards persecution and you do that by labeling all Bible believing Christians as "whack jobs". How arrogant and insulting to suggest that we are all mentally ill. And then to say we are even worse than ISIS who murder and rape people. Sad that your kind have no problem just making up ridiculous overblown lies to justify your own hate for us. Tell me, if this had been a Baptist church full of Christians who do not support homosexuality, would you have ANY sympathy for the victims? Or would you say we got what we deserved?

Sorry, I have no love for sin. I'm not going to deny the truth of God and embrace sin because a stranger says I'm a whack job. I see only condemnation and anger in your posts. Go vomit your lies elsewhere.

This thread was nothing more than a witch hunt. I should have stayed out of it, but I took the bait because I can't stand people who distort the truth for their sinful agenda.
Here is a "stereotype" christian white PASTOR---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUOBFjRGvPI

Last edited by mensaguy; 06-13-2016 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: Removed extra closing quote tag

Old 06-12-2016, 07:05 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,550,968 times
Quote:
I know of no atheist that hates Christians for being Christian . .
You should get out more. My step father hated anyone who believed in God. Seeing what is posted on this board and other religious internet discussion forums has shown me otherwise.

And honestly, I know of no Christian who hates atheists. And that my friend speaks volumes of your and my personal experiences. The wide would says different, as does history.

Last edited by Mr5150; 06-12-2016 at 07:14 PM..

Old 06-12-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Do you read CD much. Jeffie displays his heart constantly. It's pretty ugly and he wears it as a badge of pride.

I'm truly the worst sinner I personally know. Jeff is a close second. I would be happy to refer you to a gay Christian pastor to help you get over your problems.

You know nothing about me personally. Judging just like a Pharisee, you are.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:

STEREOTYPING!!!! You have never done anything but stereotype gays. Aren't they all "sinners?" That is in and of itself a stereotype. Your hypocrisy is once again being displayed. Perhaps you should review what Jesus said about Pharisaical hypocrites.

I don't believe all fundamnmentalists are going to hell--most perhaps. But I'm not even convinced anyone is going to hell unless they persistently refuse to listen to God calling them from their sinful practices against others.

You've been warned again about YOUR sinful agenda.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
You know nothing about me personally. Judging just like a Pharisee, you are.
I know you better than you know yourself. I once was you---except without the hardened heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality