Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2016, 07:16 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,732,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Sorry, I have no love for sin. I'm not going to deny the truth of God and embrace sin because a stranger says I'm a whack job. I see only condemnation and anger in your posts. Go vomit your lies elsewhere.

This thread was nothing more than a witch hunt. I should have stayed out of it, but I took the bait because I can't stand people who distort the truth for their sinful agenda.
Here is a "stereotype" christian white PASTOR---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUOBFjRGvPI[/quote]

Ahh yes, congrats, you have Westboro and this token guy so far as your only proof that Bible believing Christians feel this way. Did it ever occur to you that this guy may be posting youtube videos with the most inflammatory rhetoric for the sole purpose of getting youtube views? (which I understand can make you big $$$)

That's the difference between me and you. You are extremely myopic. You'll never consider that you are wrong, not for a second. OTOH, I am open to the truth, and if the truth is that homosexuality is not a sin then I will gladly accept it. But your side has failed completely to even come close to convincing me that I'm on the wrong side of the fence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 07:22 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,711,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUOBFjRGvPI

Ahh yes, congrats, you have Westboro and this token guy so far as your only proof that Bible believing Christians feel this way. Did it ever occur to you that this guy may be posting youtube videos with the most inflammatory rhetoric for the sole purpose of getting youtube views? (which I understand can make you big $$$)

That's the difference between me and you. You are extremely myopic. You'll never consider that you are wrong, not for a second. OTOH, I am open to the truth, and if the truth is that homosexuality is not a sin then I will gladly accept it. But your side has failed completely to even come close to convincing me that I'm on the wrong side of the fence.
I've given you dozens of opportunities to read and learn for yourself. You continually refuse the call God is giving you through sinful me.

Here's still another--you can find it on Amazon:

THE GOOD BOOK by Rev. Peter Gomes
Some people idolize the Bible, and others discount it. Rev. Gomes does neither. This thoughtful book describes the nature of Bible abuse in the church throughout history, and proposes a way to read the Bible without neglecting either its Divine inspiration or its cultural context.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:25 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
You

It's fairly obvious you are another biblically illiterate fundamentalist (as I once was).

Would you give us chapter and verse as to how Jesus wants us all to own an AK-47?

Everything is good or bad, black or white, right or wrong in two dimensional fundie minds---unless one of their own is involved, then they make excuses for strike one whereas they call "out" anybody not in their cult.

There has been a growth in morality for most people since the OT laws. A few like yourself remain in the past. Consider Paul as a violator of biblical teaching concerning slavery. From the website RELIGIOUS TOLERANCE:

While in prison, Paul met a runaway slave, Onesimus, the property of a Christian -- presumably Philemon. He sent the slave back to his owner. This action is forbidden in Deuteronomy 23:15-16:

"Thou shalt not deliver unto his master the servant which is escaped from his master unto thee."

"He shall dwell with thee, even among you, in that place which he shall choose in one of thy gates, where it liketh him best: thou shalt not oppress him."

Rather than give the slave sanctuary, Paul returned him to his owner. Paul seems to hint that he would like Philemon to give Onesimus his freedom, but does not actually request it.
------------
Bad, bad Paul, disobeying an edict of the OT.

Jesus spoke to women first--a violation of Jewish cultural codes---and when a disciple criticized a woman for caring for Jesus---she was in a room full of men---Jesus rebuked His disciple.

Killing of any kind Jesus rejected--even to protect the innocent. Consider Peter in the Garden of Gethsemane who drew a sword to defend the most innocent of all--Jesus, who rebuked Him for so doing and healed the High Priest's servant. Logical people would consider that rejection of genocide---but then one must be logical in order to reach that conclusion---which The Society of Friends certainly is.

Jesus healed the boy servant of a centurion who most likely wasn't gay, but used the boy for sexual gratification. If you actually studied the culture existing around that day you would know that the emperor refused Roman soldiers the right to marry, but looked the other way regarding male "attendants."

The story is told in both Matthew and Luke. The Greek terminology referring to the young slave is "pais" which could mean boy, or servant, or a particular kind of servant who provided sexual favors for his Master.

When referring to other slaves Luke has used the word doulos, or slaves, but when referring to this young man he has the servant use the term entimos doulos---precious slave. Matthew makes it more clear by referring to his other slaves as "doulos" but retains "pais" for his special slave.

You can read more about the etymology of the word at Would Jesus Discriminate?

Personally, I think the centurion wasn't gay anymore than I think most men in our prison system was gay. But a Roman soldier in a land where Romans were generally hated was unlikely to obtain female companionship, so he did what he felt he needed to do to satisfy his physical urges---he bought a pais.

This is not the ONLY way to view those verses, but there is enough ambiguity to see it either way. Further, Jesus neither rejected an unbeliever's request, nor condemned him as an illegal alien. And it is the only situation in the gospels where Jesus is presented with a request to help someone other than self or family of self.

I like to see Jesus at His best in helping those despised by others.
Looks like Christianity endorses slavery...

Old 06-12-2016, 07:27 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:

Sorry, I have no love for sin.

The excuse fundamentalists give themselves so they can vilify LGBTQ.

If you have no love for sin....stop sinning.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:29 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,761,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Sorry, I have no love for sin. I'm not going to deny the truth of God and embrace sin because a stranger says I'm a whack job. I see only condemnation and anger in your posts. Go vomit your lies elsewhere.

This thread was nothing more than a witch hunt. I should have stayed out of it, but I took the bait because I can't stand people who distort the truth for their sinful agenda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUOBFjRGvPI[/quote]

I would bet good Vegas money that pastor is a closet gay.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:36 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
You

It's fairly obvious you are another biblically illiterate fundamentalist (as I once was).

Would you give us chapter and verse as to how Jesus wants us all to own an AK-47?

Everything is good or bad, black or white, right or wrong in two dimensional fundie minds---unless one of their own is involved, then they make excuses for strike one whereas they call "out" anybody not in their cult.

There has been a growth in morality for most people since the OT laws. A few like yourself remain in the past. Consider Paul as a violator of biblical teaching concerning slavery. From the website RELIGIOUS TOLERANCE:

While in prison, Paul met a runaway slave, Onesimus, the property of a Christian -- presumably Philemon. He sent the slave back to his owner. This action is forbidden in Deuteronomy 23:15-16:

"Thou shalt not deliver unto his master the servant which is escaped from his master unto thee."

"He shall dwell with thee, even among you, in that place which he shall choose in one of thy gates, where it liketh him best: thou shalt not oppress him."

Rather than give the slave sanctuary, Paul returned him to his owner. Paul seems to hint that he would like Philemon to give Onesimus his freedom, but does not actually request it.
------------
Bad, bad Paul, disobeying an edict of the OT.

Jesus spoke to women first--a violation of Jewish cultural codes---and when a disciple criticized a woman for caring for Jesus---she was in a room full of men---Jesus rebuked His disciple.

Killing of any kind Jesus rejected--even to protect the innocent. Consider Peter in the Garden of Gethsemane who drew a sword to defend the most innocent of all--Jesus, who rebuked Him for so doing and healed the High Priest's servant. Logical people would consider that rejection of genocide---but then one must be logical in order to reach that conclusion---which The Society of Friends certainly is.

Jesus healed the boy servant of a centurion who most likely wasn't gay, but used the boy for sexual gratification. If you actually studied the culture existing around that day you would know that the emperor refused Roman soldiers the right to marry, but looked the other way regarding male "attendants."

The story is told in both Matthew and Luke. The Greek terminology referring to the young slave is "pais" which could mean boy, or servant, or a particular kind of servant who provided sexual favors for his Master.

When referring to other slaves Luke has used the word doulos, or slaves, but when referring to this young man he has the servant use the term entimos doulos---precious slave. Matthew makes it more clear by referring to his other slaves as "doulos" but retains "pais" for his special slave.

You can read more about the etymology of the word at Would Jesus Discriminate?

Personally, I think the centurion wasn't gay anymore than I think most men in our prison system was gay. But a Roman soldier in a land where Romans were generally hated was unlikely to obtain female companionship, so he did what he felt he needed to do to satisfy his physical urges---he bought a pais.

This is not the ONLY way to view those verses, but there is enough ambiguity to see it either way. Further, Jesus neither rejected an unbeliever's request, nor condemned him as an illegal alien. And it is the only situation in the gospels where Jesus is presented with a request to help someone other than self or family of self.

I like to see Jesus at His best in helping those despised by others.
You should read up a little more on the Roman culture....There was more to it than just sexual gratification...Google pederasty and you'll see a lot of material that covers not only the Romans, but also the Greeks...Including how that cultural norm spread to the middle East...

Old 06-12-2016, 07:42 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Or we could be like Canada and lose our freedom of speech. You even commenting on this thread is a very low class thing to do.
Huh? I'm Canadian, and have as much or more right to free speech than Americans have. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:45 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
OP got a lot of nerve attacking Christians for this wicked massacre , as Christians would be appalled at such brutalities of murder if any degree
I am the OP.

Why do you feel Christians are being attacked? There is nothing stated in the OP which is not true.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:45 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,349 times
Quote:
Wow such hypocrisy. You say you hate the actions, but not the actual person. Likewise, we say we hate the actions and lifestyle of homosexual people, not the actual person, but your side stubborn rejects that. Oh no, we must gay people according to you. And if it doesn't directly show that we hate gay people then ya'll just make stuff up like saying I would want to picket their funeral.

Sad that your side can't be reasonable and not go ballistic in these discussions.

Nice attempted dodge, but I never said you hated gay people . I said you continually 24/7/365 bash them, claim they are destroying American society and American family values, destroying marriage , etc . Being homophobic and individually hating gay people is not synonymous .

So after you failed attempt to deflect , I'll ask this . Do you really think spending your days bashing gays doesn't have an effect on how others view them, especially the butters from each religion?

You may not like the tone of these discussions, but you and yours have made your bed with your comments , and now you have to lie in it.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:51 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeall View Post

I hope President Obama lights the White House tonight in the colors of the rainbow flag to honor the innocent victims who lost their lives due to nonsensical, antigay, religious beliefs.
People are gathering in Lafayette Park across from the White House. They are holding candles and rainbow flags and singing. They are standing up to hate.... by singing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality