Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2023, 04:10 PM

63,790 posts, read 40,053,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I’m an atheist. I don’t see anything as ‘god-given’ nor does it make logical sense to me a god would have feelings, as I previously explained (but you apparently didn’t read or understand what I stated prior to quoting me and repeating the same comment re: weakness). Obviously, feelings are human (and, again, I certainly didn’t state they were weak).

That said, you aren’t answering my question. Why would a god have feelings or care about one religion over another (other than bias i.e. showing favorites, lol). From my perspective, it wouldn’t be very godly. ;-) Who would he love? Hate? Pity? Judge?
As an atheist, you have not bought the "children of God" concept (as I hadn't back then). Ironically, too many believers also fail to realize that concept and think we are "pets in obedience training" by a tyrant or Godfather who makes an offer we can't refuse OR ELSE (Hell). But we are not random forms of life with no purpose. We are to grow and mature our Spirits as all animate life must. The difference is we can control what the spiritual body (character) is like.

I analogize the evolution of our "spiritual body" (character) prior to our rebirth as Spirit to the embryonic development of our physical body prior to its physical birth. To the best of our knowledge, that sequence of maturation is the template for all animate life. We can only speculate about what our actual spiritual life will be like when God "slaps our metaphorical spiritual behind" on our rebirth as Spirit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2023, 04:24 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,789,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus'Truth View Post
I am talking about the God of the Bible.
God of the Bible? Heck, if you actually STUDIED the Bible, you'd know what God's TRUTH is...

Quote:
People having an "experience" that goes against God in the Bible is important to tell
Who SEZ it's going against God's Word? YOU?

God never got to Revelations and said, "O.K. I've said enough. I'll stop HERE." I mean, come ON!!!!

Quote:
It is mine and it is FROM GOD.
No, it's from YOU.

Quote:
Stop trying to stop me from talking you hypocrite.
Hypocrite? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL etc. !

Keep spewing your "Christian" wrath.

And you wonder WHY some people become atheists...

Old 05-06-2023, 04:33 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,921,731 times
Most of the disciples suffered persecution and death for their faith.
No one is promised protection from persecution.
Whether one is persecuted or not does not certify him teaching the truth either.
Jesus said, "Men love darkness rather than light because their deeds are evil."
Any contrast to the morality most men participate poses a threat socially, particularly that of reverencing any god.
Though it is noble among any group of believers to be persecuted, (regardless of faith) It is Jesus that will judge if there was a real relationship with Him or not. Matthew 7;21,22,23,
The sad truth is, most people resist pursuing this kind of relationship, preferring academics and liberal translations fogging up the truth to fit one's own agendas.
Jesus provided the Holy Spirit to teach in His place.
Many think to hide behind other men's teaching making them alone responsible for false teaching but those that fallow false teachers are themselves going to be judged as well.
The church I grew up in did not teach me about this relationship, my personal hunger for this relationship drew me into it.
Jesus said, "Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness for they shall be filled."
Righteousness from God's perspective, not man's perspective.
The desperation with which one pursues God's will, says every thing about himself.
What is your prayer life like?

Old 05-06-2023, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Whether one is persecuted or not does not certify him teaching the truth either.
Any contrast to the morality most men participate poses a threat socially, particularly that of reverencing any god.
Though it is noble among any group of believers to be persecuted, (regardless of faith) It is Jesus that will judge if there was a real relationship with Him or not. Matthew 7;21,22,23,
The sad truth is, most people resist pursuing this kind of relationship, preferring academics and liberal translations fogging up the truth to fit one's own agendas.
Many think to hide behind other men's teaching making them alone responsible for false teaching but those that fallow false teachers are themselves going to be judged as well.
The church I grew up in did not teach me about this relationship, my personal hunger for this relationship drew me into it.
Jesus said, "Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness for they shall be filled."
The desperation with which one pursues God's will, says every thing about himself.
What is your prayer life like?[
Arleigh...always a voice of reason in situations as this.

I think what I bolded just started me on a new journey....

Thanks....

Old 05-06-2023, 04:49 PM

8,659 posts, read 3,858,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Sorry Cowboy, but I admit that I haven't read ALL of your posts. My bad.
I’ve only posted a couple of times in this thread, and you quoted me - so you must have read them. ;-)

Quote:
But I gotta ask...WHY doesn't it make sense to you that God wouldn't have feelings? I mean, if we're created in God's image and all...
I already answered this (relative to IF there were a god); hence my point, you apparently quoted me sans reading it. Keep in mind, I’m speaking from a logical perspective. It’s nonsensical when folks claim people are created in god’s image; but then, you believe he apparently punishes/judges us for having the same type of feelings he does or that which he created in us. Why give us the capacity to feel or think, if we’re later condemned for it?

Everyone is biased sometimes; it’s part of feeling. Hence, how could a god be godly if he were biased or cared one way or another about Christianity (or hated atheists, for that matter)? What (or whom) would he have feelings for - and to what purpose? He either cares (and still neglects some folks, which is spiteful), or he doesn’t care/remains neutral; but then, what’s the point to any of it? One would have to believe a god can be loving while simultaneously being incapable of hate or bias. Why wouldn’t a god make us in THAT image, if you are going to claim such.

Old 05-06-2023, 04:51 PM

4,085 posts, read 872,849 times
Quote:
God of the Bible? Heck, if you actually STUDIED the Bible, you'd know what God's TRUTH is...

Who SEZ it's going against God's Word? YOU?

God never got to Revelations and said, "O.K. I've said enough. I'll stop HERE." I mean, come ON!!!!

No, it's from YOU.

Hypocrite? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL etc. !

Keep spewing your "Christian" wrath.

And you wonder WHY some people become atheists...
I am not interested.

You want to attack me but are quieter than a mouse to all the God haters who speak against God and Jesus Christ.

Old 05-06-2023, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
What is your prayer life like?
It is important not to be lukewarm or God will spit out those who are.

Old 05-06-2023, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I’ve only posted a couple of times in this thread, and you quoted me - so you must have read them. ;-)

I already answered this (relative to IF there was a god); hence my point, you apparently quoted me sans reading it. Keep in mind, I’m speaking from a logical perspective. It’s nonsensical when folks claim people are created in god’s image; but then, you believe he apparently punishes/judges us for having the same type of feelings he does or that which he created in us. Why give us the capacity to feel or think, if we’re later condemned for it?
Please understand that I've been having computer issues. My hard drive died (a moment of silence please) a month ago, and I'm only now able to get back online. So, a lot of posts over the month, I've missed. My bad.

As to what I bolded, WHO said that we're condemned for how we think or feel?

I think that part of the point is that being given the gift of free will, that we'll often abuse that gift. And if we abuse it, consequences will ensue. Can't say God isn't God because there are consequences to our actions.

I dunno Cowboy, but I see God as the ULTIMAT JUST judge. Do some people belong in hell, never to be set free? In my eyes, yes. But am *I* equipped to dole out their sentence?

Not by a longshot.
Does God cry? I believe he does. Not because He has no idea about what's going on, but because He DOES. Why is that so hard to believe?

Quote:
Everyone is biased sometimes; it’s part of feeling. Hence, how could a god be godly if he were biased or cared one way or another about Christianity (or hated atheists, for that matter)? What (or whom) would he have feelings for - and to what purpose? He either cares (and still neglects some folks, which is spiteful), or he doesn’t care/remains neutral; but then, what’s the point to any of it? One would have to believe a god can be loving while simultaneously being incapable of hate or bias. Why wouldn’t a god make us in THAT image?
Who says God DIDN'T make us in that image?

Trouble is, that so many think of God as some warrior. Compassion, empathy...love...forgiveness...mercy...ain't His way

So we think...

Old 05-06-2023, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus'Truth View Post
I am not interested.

You want to attack me but are quieter than a mouse to all the God haters who speak against God and Jesus Christ.
Ohhh, stop with your whole "god haters" routine. You can go through ALL of my posts, and never EVER find me 'sentencing' a non-believer to hell...or referring to ANYONE as a 'sinner' as YOU do.

Sorry, but I don't look at atheists as some sort of deformed animals the way YOU do. I don't see Christians who don't believe as *I* do (waving hands in the air) as souls that need to be saved.

I won't condemn you for believing as you do, but I WILL call you out on your condescending, name-calling, condemning, insulting rhetoric that you spew about...if toward believers or non-believers.

That won't fly with me, and it brings your credibility down to ZERO.

Jesus...would NEVER do as you do.

He was compassionate with sinners. YOU'RE not.
He was graceful with sinners. YOU'RE not.
He was FORGIVING with sinners. Again, YOU'RE NOT.

You DO NOT emulate Christ. At least I TRY to...and can acknowledge that I fall WAY, WAY short.

Can you say the same thing about yourself?

Old 05-06-2023, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Ohhh, stop with your whole "god haters" routine. You can go through ALL of my posts, and never EVER find me 'sentencing' a non-believer to hell...or referring to ANYONE as a 'sinner' as YOU do.

Sorry, but I don't look at atheists as some sort of deformed animals the way YOU do. I don't see Christians who don't believe as *I* do (waving hands in the air) as souls that need to be saved.

I won't condemn you for believing as you do, but I WILL call you out on your condescending, name-calling, condemning, insulting rhetoric that you spew about...if toward believers or non-believers.

That won't fly with me, and it brings your credibility down to ZERO.

Jesus...would NEVER do as you do.

He was compassionate with sinners. YOU'RE not.
He was graceful with sinners. YOU'RE not.
He was FORGIVING with sinners. Again, YOU'RE NOT.

You DO NOT emulate Christ. At least I TRY to...and can acknowledge that I fall WAY, WAY short.

Can you say the same thing about yourself?
I can't read what you posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality