Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2016, 06:55 PM

21,759 posts, read 16,378,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
No he can't complain while on the job when he isn't willing to make any sacrifices. Well, he can but he deserves zero respect and hopefully doesn't get picked by another team. Times are different now just like politics. Everything is broadcasted 24 hours. Civil disobedience is going to cause more hem then good. For me I 100% hate BLM for their actions, beforehand I could see part of that view, but now I am rooting against them. It's common sense! If I want someone to paint their house blue and they don't want to, it isn't going to help if I destroy their yard and cars.
Quote:
Guaranteed pissing off neutral people will not gain support, it does the opposite. This isn't the backwoods days anymore. It amazes me how liberals these days have so little common sense. YES, lets block traffic and they will be sure to join our cause! Lets smash people's cars and I know they will think wow they are the kind of people I want to support.
Pretty sure BLM isn't bothered in the slightest by your refusal to join them. They're obviously very aware of and experienced in dealing with closed minds like yours.

History of the USA:
The Revolution
Emancipation
Unionization / workers rights
Women's Suffrage
Civil Rights for Black Americans
Gay Rights

Which of those movements achieved their goals without disruptive protests?

Entrenched discrimination doesn't respond to passive pleasantries. Never has. Never will.
Which of those social movements listed above are you "pissed off at" and remain "against"?

You think the gay community worried about pleasing all the bmw335i's 20 and 30 years ago as they opened up their struggle in spite of bitter hatred against them and their protests? What happened when they persisted in spite of the anger and hatred aimed at them?
Quote:
The change toward acceptance of homosexuality began in the late 1980s after years of remaining relatively constant. In 1973, 70 percent of people felt same-sex relations are “always wrong,” and in 1987, 75 percent held that view. By 2000, however, that number dropped to 54 percent and by 2010 was down to 43.5 percent.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:03 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,154,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
I frankly don't get that worked up over someone exercising their right to dissent and at least he is doing so with class (not burning a flag or blocking traffic, just sitting quietly while the National Anthem is being played). It is called the First Amendment. The NFL has stated there is no rule requiring players to stand while it is being sung. CK has already said he is OK with being released from the team if that should happen.

If you want to criticize someone who should be setting a better example, start with Donald Trump who has already said Kaepernick should leave the USA. One would think Trump would have learned, after his negative episodes against Mexicans, regarding John McCain's military service and a Gold Star family, and the disabled, but maybe you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Plus he still won't release his tax returns. His pattern of negative, shameful behavior is far worse IMO than someone sitting down during the National Anthem.

Agree to disagree.
NOT true. Donald Trump said that Colin Kaepernick 'should perhaps‘find a country that works better for him.’

Old 08-30-2016, 07:05 PM

24,410 posts, read 27,006,199 times
Same-sex marriage wasn't legalized because gay people blocked highways and destroyed businesses. Same-sex marriage and the support of same-sex marriage formed naturally because people saw they aren't any different than non-gay people. Like I said, it's different now than 100 years ago. I guarantee you if gays were destroying private and public property, there would not have been support for same-sex marriage and the acceptance of gays. I used to be against same-sex marriage 10 years ago, but became completely for it because I ended up respecting them and that's what it takes. It takes the other side to accept and understand you. However, destroying property and blocking highways just pisses people off and makes people not want to support them, which means not supporting their cause. Because of BLM, I have gone from someone who was in the neutral area to now 110% in favor of the police and giving them more power. I don't condone abuse of power, but at the same time, I now more than ever want police to have more power to use force to stop violent protesting/rioting.

Last edited by bmw335xi; 08-30-2016 at 07:20 PM..

Old 08-30-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post
I personally think Kap is pretty much playing everyone (hard to even fathom the amount of time being spent on "his event" on the news and on forum boards).

I personally don't care if he sits or stands (that's his right, so knock yourself out). However, from my perspective, what I'm seeing is a guy that has had his butt kissed all his life from High School to the NFL, that is about to become very irrelevant. And this stunt is his final curtain call to get some attention. In other news, the 3rd string QB for the Browns was shaving against the grain yesterday.
Yes, Kap may be playing everybody. In which case this is a failure of character he'll have to live with. Regardless, the awareness he is bringing forward is worthy.

On the other hand, the assumption that he is a washed up failure of a player is possibly nothing more than impatient fan-quarterbacking. Consider what the special coach who has worked with him multiple seasons with multiple teams, and who is now working with him on the 49er's systems, has to say about his potential contribution and future including consideration of the disruptiveness of his protest:

Quote:
Mangini isn’t sure Kaepernick has regressed, or that he’d be blackballed

Posted by Mike Florio on August 30, 2016, 10:34 AM EDT
At a time when the popular narrative regarding 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick starts with the notion that he has regressed a as a player and ends with the question of whether he’ll ever get another chance with another NFL team after refusing to stand for the national anthem, a coach who worked closely with Kaepernick in each of the last three years sees the situation differently...

Mangini knows Kaepernick as well as anyone, and Mangini has worked with Kaepernick from a variety of perspectives.

... Mangini isn’t ready to say Kaepernick has regressed.

“I really like Colin and I liked being able to spend time with Colin on the offensive side,” Mangini said. “I don’t know if that evaluation [that he has regressed] is completely fair. He was in different systems. The system we had under Jim Harbaugh was different than Jim Tomsula, and now he’s under a different system again. That’s not always the easiest thing for a guy to do is to transition year in and year out to a different system. I’d like to see what he can do in this system before we say he’s regressed. He’s had the one preseason game, gave him some time, gave him some reps. I think there’s a lot of things that he does well and that’ll fit into Chip [Kelly’s] system really well. We’ve only got a very limited look at it though.”

... Would Kaepernick’s political views and gesture make Kaepernick undesirable?
“I don’t know if he’ll be universally blackballed, though.”
In the NFL, where the supply of quarterbacks never matches the demand, it’s hard to imagine a team that: ... has seen on a first-hand basis the best of what Kaepernick can do automatically scratching him off the list simply because of his position on the national anthem.
Mangini isn’t sure Kaepernick has regressed, or that he’d be blackballed | ProFootballTalk

Old 08-30-2016, 07:08 PM

406 posts, read 288,778 times
Quote:
Guaranteed pissing off neutral people will not gain support, it does the opposite. This isn't the backwoods days anymore. It amazes me how liberals these days have so little common sense. YES, lets block traffic and they will be sure to join our cause! Lets smash people's cars and I know they will think wow they are the kind of people I want to support.
Yea, people hate being inconvenienced. But I assure you that everyone present at a traffic blockade is being inconvenienced: the people forced to wait out the blockade, and the demonstrators forced into generations of second class citizenship.

You see, events of vandalism and destruction didn't appear out of a vacuum. It's an accumulated response.
Such aforementioned response is always preceded by discourse. Actually, discourse is continuous- from academics, community leaders, organizations, politicians, media pundits, activists (and history). You ignored or dismissed the recommendations and pleas within discourse, but you payed attention when there was a riot. Seemingly, it is civil disobedience that grabs your attention.

First and foremost, there should be no one neutral or opposed to someone in need of protection and validation of their civil rights.

Last edited by the happy guy; 08-30-2016 at 07:18 PM..

Old 08-30-2016, 07:21 PM

406 posts, read 288,778 times
Quote:
Same-sex marriage wasn't legalized because gay people blocked highways and destroyed businesses. Same-sex marriage and the support of same-sex marriage formed naturally because people saw they aren't any different than non-gay people. Like I said, it's different now than 100 years ago. I guarantee you if gays were destroying private and public property, there would not have been support for same-sex marriage and the acceptance of gays. I used to be against same-sex marriage 10 years ago, but then was completely for it because I ended up respecting them and that's what it takes. It takes the other side to accept and understand you. However, destroying property and blocking highways just pisses people off and makes people not want to support them, which means not supporting their cause.
Are you sure about that?
  • Compton's Cafeteria Riot
  • Stonewall Riot
to name a few.....

Old 08-30-2016, 07:23 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,204,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
NOT true. Donald Trump said that Colin Kaepernick 'should perhaps‘find a country that works better for him.’
Big difference there. The word "perhaps"? Lol. To even suggest someone moving to another country after a very minor dissent (no flag was burned; no traffic stopped, etc) is intolerant IMO. He has the right to say it, but frankly should be more concerned with cleaning up his own act with all of the attacks against various groups (including war heroes and the disabled) he has made prior to this, don't you think?

In Donald's fantasy world there is severe accountability for those he disagrees with over minor issues, but for his major insults, gaffes, and blunders, he wants zero accountability for himself.

I choose to call a spade a spade and some others can continue to make excuses for Trump if they so please. Most Americans disagree with Trump and they will make that known in a significant manner on Election Day.

Last edited by chessgeek; 08-30-2016 at 07:44 PM..

Old 08-30-2016, 07:24 PM

6,418 posts, read 8,287,417 times
Quote:
Same-sex marriage wasn't legalized because gay people blocked highways and destroyed businesses. Same-sex marriage and the support of same-sex marriage formed naturally because people saw they aren't any different than non-gay people. Like I said, it's different now than 100 years ago. I guarantee you if gays were destroying private and public property, there would not have been support for same-sex marriage and the acceptance of gays. I used to be against same-sex marriage 10 years ago, but became completely for it because I ended up respecting them and that's what it takes. It takes the other side to accept and understand you. However, destroying property and blocking highways just pisses people off and makes people not want to support them, which means not supporting their cause. Because of BLM, I have gone from someone who was in the neutral area to now 110% in favor of the police and giving them more power. I don't condone abuse of power, but at the same time, I now more than ever want police to have more power to use force to stop violent protesting/rioting.
As a gay person, I think your flip flop on this issue is cute, but in reality the only reason the movement became successful is that white, rich gay people have deep pockets and connections. Gay minorities still face a host of issues that their white counterparts don't have to deal with- especially if they are poor. If you look at the legalization of marijuana, it's essentially the same thing.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Same-sex marriage wasn't legalized because gay people blocked highways and destroyed businesses. Same-sex marriage and the support of same-sex marriage formed naturally because people saw they aren't any different than non-gay people. Like I said, it's different now than 100 years ago. I guarantee you if gays were destroying private and public property, there would not have been support for same-sex marriage and the acceptance of gays. I used to be against same-sex marriage 10 years ago, but then was completely for it because I ended up respecting them and that's what it takes. It takes the other side to accept and understand you. However, destroying property and blocking highways just pisses people off and makes people not want to support them, which means not supporting their cause.
Do you EVER check your opinions before you blurt them out?
Quote:
The Stonewall riots transform the gay rights movement from one limited to a small number of activists into a widespread protest for equal rights and acceptance. Patrons of a gay bar in New York's Greenwich Village, the Stonewall Inn, fight back during a police raid on June 27, sparking three days of riots.
The American Gay Rights Movement: A Timeline - Infoplease

The American Gay Rights Movement: A Timeline

Quote:
A Gay Protest Against Attacks Becomes Violent

By JACK CURRY

Published: June 18, 1990

What began as a peaceful march through Greenwich Village late Saturday night to protest violence against homosexuals broke up into clashes, chases and threats early yesterday morning when hecklers taunted demonstrators as the march drew toward its conclusion.

A Gay Protest Against Attacks Becomes Violent - NYTimes.com
Quote:
Violent Gay Protests at the Oscars: Could It Happen Again?

Furious over ***** villains in The Silence of the Lambs, JFK, and Basic Instinct, activists clashed with police at the 1992 Academy Awards. Has representation changed enough since?

By Neal Broverman
February 27 2016 10:41 AM EST

Outside the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in Los Angeles, the red carpet was rolled out, the limos were arriving, and police in riot gear were descending on hundreds of gay rights protesters.
This was the scene at the 1992 Academy Awards, where activist group ***** Nation staged a protest that devolved into chaos, with objects thrown at vehicles, punches thrown, arrests made, and "***" stickers slapped on 24-foot-tall Oscar statues. ***** Nation and many other LGBT people were furious at Hollywood for what they saw as a pattern of demented, homicidal ***** characters.
Quote:
Gay marriage supporters take to California streets

Sat November 8, 2008
Gay marriage supporters take to California streets In San Francisco, an estimated 2,000 protesters marched down Market Street toward Dolores Park. The march stretched out for at least three city blocks, and the protesters completely blocked Market Street's westbound lanes and the eastbound lanes in places.
So, want more? Blocking traffic. Smashing windows. Fighting with onlookers. Throwing bottles at police. All there in the Gay Rights protests spanning decade after decade.

Do continue.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:26 PM

24,410 posts, read 27,006,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the happy guy View Post
Are you sure about that?
  • Compton's Cafeteria Riot
  • Stonewall Riot
to name a few.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Do you EVER check your opinions before you blurt them out?
So, want more? Blocking traffic. Smashing windows. Fighting with onlookers. Throwing bottles at police. All there in the Gay Rights protests spanning decade after decade.

Do continue.
And those were detrimental for their cause which is why same-sex marriage wasn't legalized until just recently. It's why just 10 years ago, the majority of Americans didn't accept gay people. You are proving my point.

It wasn't until we saw intelligent well spoken gay leaders and members in society where people began to think, "hmm maybe they aren't so bad and different than we thought"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland