Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2013, 10:20 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,923,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP79 View Post
You know what the worst thing about Seattle is? I have a bunch of friends who live there and get miserable, year after year, being stuck there over the holidays. They always talk a big game about flying home for the holidays or going somewhere more cheerful for Christmas, yet every year they get stuck in complacent mode and don't make any attempt to solidify plans or purchase a plane ticket until the last moment, when the tickets are like $1,000 and no longer affordable. Then they sit there in that wet, morose town doing nothing except feeling bad for themselves and getting drunk. I swear, the only thing that town gives anyone the motivation to do is stumble down to the local bar and try to drink away the misery. Other than that, they just curl up into this little isolated ball of lethargy and pity and never do anything to improve their situations. Grrr... venting...
You mean whining, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 10:27 AM

305 posts, read 450,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post
You mean whining, right?
No it's venting. My friends' happiness is actually a pretty important thing to me. Do you have friends?

Old 10-27-2013, 11:52 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP79 View Post
You know what the worst thing about Seattle is? I have a bunch of friends who live there and get miserable, year after year, being stuck there over the holidays. They always talk a big game about flying home for the holidays or going somewhere more cheerful for Christmas, yet every year they get stuck in complacent mode and don't make any attempt to solidify plans or purchase a plane ticket until the last moment, when the tickets are like $1,000 and no longer affordable. Then they sit there in that wet, morose town doing nothing except feeling bad for themselves and getting drunk. I swear, the only thing that town gives anyone the motivation to do is stumble down to the local bar and try to drink away the misery. Other than that, they just curl up into this little isolated ball of lethargy and pity and never do anything to improve their situations. Grrr... venting...
So basically your friends are too lazy to book plane tickets in advance...

Old 10-27-2013, 01:50 PM

146 posts, read 189,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I'm sort of tired of the Pacific Northwest being the dumping ground for malcontents who couldn't make it work on the East Coast. If you want New York, you can only find it in New York. No where else in the US compares to New York in terms of urban environment and amenities(it's competing with places in Europe with it's scale). Stay there and enjoy the pizza and bagels and the diverse offerings that you'll complain about the lack of if you move west. And if you're from the South and want an upscale black-only scene with hopping night clubs that close at 4 am, you might want to stay in Atlanta or go somewhere else in the South--what you're looking for doesn't really exist in Seattle on that level. It's just a different place out here with a different history. But, I mean there's got to be plenty of jobs on the East Coast for these folks somewhere, why are you moving somewhere you know you won't truly like?
+1.
BTW I just don't get why folks keep complaining about the climate, rain etc.?? It's a climate which corresponds to the latitude - check out cities in Western Europe on the same latitude, like Zurich - they have even less sunshine. Other than folks here not familiar with latitude concept I can't seem to understand all this constant whining about grey sky and rain.
And what so great about NYC anyway? Manhattan is a cool place created by super rich FOR super rich, OK, but the rest of the place is a dump where servants of the super rich live. You like cultural aspects? Take a plane 1-2 times a year, enjoy the opera, museums and come back - nobody's doing this stuff more than twice a year even new yorkers themselves cause they are busy making money to just survive there.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:54 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
So basically your friends are too lazy to book plane tickets in advance...
Or it could simply be that it's not as bad as someone would have all of us thinking.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:40 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,590,770 times
I'll say this once, and I'll say it again. I love the city of Seattle, love it's vibe, love its walkability, and I adore the weather. Before moving to Seattle, I dealt with muggy and humid summers in Atlanta. Never liked Atlanta's weather. But the only thing I've never liked about Seattle, in my time there were the people. I just found them pretentious, stuck up, boring, and absolutely no fun. Other than that, Seattle is a fine place. Great natural scenery, the winters aren't too cold, and the summers aren't too hot. But I think there just wasn't enough for a single bachelor like myself to keep himself busy. That was one of the things I really hated about Seattle. I also just hated the government and the people. I hate how finicky the people were. For example, one time on the BUS a lady told me that the chime sound from my text phone was bothering her. And I'm thinking "if you want peace in quiet, then why are you on a public bus?" People in Seattle act like that. As if the world revolves around them. On top of that, Seattle is too liberal. And liberal politics are basically to legislate the living holy crap out of every imaginable thing. To me Seattle is just way too dogmatic, with people who invent ways to be sensitive and offended by everything. I personally don't like the walk on eggshell approach of Seattle. I'm definitely a guy who is very opinionated and outspoken. I also shoot from the hip.

I really don't feel sorry for people in Seattle. People in Seattle can be every bit as condescending and judgemental than people from anywhere else. The real issue is that when the criticism is directed towards them, they can't handle it. To a large degree, I find the Seattle culture dealing with some overly sensitive female who would get offended by the smallest thing. So, in that way, I find much about the Seattle people annoying.

With that said, I could more than handle Seattle. Again, if you want to know what city I really can't handle, it's Washington DC. DC has rude, arrogant, obnoxious, pretentious, and bitter people all over the place. On top of that it was a city of egotistical government bureaucrats (hate this), dogmatist, pseudo intellectuals, cut throat office environments, uptight people, etc. While i may not like Seattle because of it's people, I generally loathe DC on too many levels. So Seattle is fine in my book. Sure there are many things I don't like about it, and hey, I'll say it. But it doesn't mean that every waking hour I was in Seattle was filled with misery either.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:00 PM

133 posts, read 253,187 times
I dislike Seattle so much, when the Seattle Fault ruptures again I will be celebrating like Palestinians after 9/11. A beautiful region with so many ugly people deserves a natural disaster. I'm not sorry for feeling this way!

Old 10-27-2013, 09:20 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,832,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicecobb View Post
I dislike Seattle so much, when the Seattle Fault ruptures again I will be celebrating like Palestinians after 9/11. A beautiful region with so many ugly people deserves a natural disaster. I'm not sorry for feeling this way!
Muahahaha

Old 10-28-2013, 12:46 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,593,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I'll say this once, and I'll say it again. I love the city of Seattle, love it's vibe, love its walkability, and I adore the weather. Before moving to Seattle, I dealt with muggy and humid summers in Atlanta. Never liked Atlanta's weather. But the only thing I've never liked about Seattle, in my time there were the people. I just found them pretentious, stuck up, boring, and absolutely no fun. Other than that, Seattle is a fine place. Great natural scenery, the winters aren't too cold, and the summers aren't too hot. But I think there just wasn't enough for a single bachelor like myself to keep himself busy. That was one of the things I really hated about Seattle. I also just hated the government and the people. I hate how finicky the people were. For example, one time on the BUS a lady told me that the chime sound from my text phone was bothering her. And I'm thinking "if you want peace in quiet, then why are you on a public bus?" People in Seattle act like that. As if the world revolves around them. On top of that, Seattle is too liberal. And liberal politics are basically to legislate the living holy crap out of every imaginable thing. To me Seattle is just way too dogmatic, with people who invent ways to be sensitive and offended by everything. I personally don't like the walk on eggshell approach of Seattle. I'm definitely a guy who is very opinionated and outspoken. I also shoot from the hip.

I really don't feel sorry for people in Seattle. People in Seattle can be every bit as condescending and judgemental than people from anywhere else. The real issue is that when the criticism is directed towards them, they can't handle it. To a large degree, I find the Seattle culture dealing with some overly sensitive female who would get offended by the smallest thing. So, in that way, I find much about the Seattle people annoying.

With that said, I could more than handle Seattle. Again, if you want to know what city I really can't handle, it's Washington DC. DC has rude, arrogant, obnoxious, pretentious, and bitter people all over the place. On top of that it was a city of egotistical government bureaucrats (hate this), dogmatist, pseudo intellectuals, cut throat office environments, uptight people, etc. While i may not like Seattle because of it's people, I generally loathe DC on too many levels. So Seattle is fine in my book. Sure there are many things I don't like about it, and hey, I'll say it. But it doesn't mean that every waking hour I was in Seattle was filled with misery either.
Regardless of your thoughts on DC, which a lot of people hate for those reasons, You seem more like a north easterner in temperament and can imagine why culturally Seattle might be a tough fit.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:23 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,887,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicecobb View Post
Suffered a bad breakup or were just quite unpopular within Seattle, were you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area