Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2015, 07:49 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,016,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post

I'll say here what I said on the general Relationships forum, because DC men are absolutely no different: To read this forum, I should be all set to be passed over, overlooked, regarded as washed-up and past-tense. Yet I go out, and I get everyone from 24 to 64 chatting me up--and that's everywhere, not just places where people are drinking so you can't chalk it up to beer goggles.

Some guys here are hung up on concocting cocknbull posts about how men allegedly only want women in their 20s. They go on about "market value" and all of that other garbage.

But the truth is they don't know, because they're not women, so they can't speak to a woman's experience with men approaching her. They have their own narrow little perception and assume all men think like them and view women as worthless after 30. They're the Jon Snows of dating. They know nothing.
It's the man-child ideology of the "Men's Rights Activists" and the "Return of Kings" "Roosh V" crowd. They think that they're going to learn from another male loser what the best way to manipulate and trick women is, and how to fool naive young women in to sleeping with their sorry loser asses. Basically they are sex predators because they only go after very young, very inexperienced women because they know they can lie to them and get away with it.

Old 11-20-2015, 05:44 AM

417 posts, read 594,810 times
DC Metro dating odds favor men. There are just not enough men, plain and simple and men there know it. They take full advantage of it. If a man in the DMV tells a woman he is having problems finding a woman then that translates into, he can't decide which one. I know so many wonderful women in DC that can't even get a date but in other cities get asked out left and right. DC men are social and economic climbers in every area of their life including relationships so most women feel they have to list credentials. They could be unemployed, uneducated and living in their parents basement and still expect a high powered career woman to support them so they can brag to the rest of their unemployed, uneducated friends. The high powered educated men do the same. If they just want to sleep with you they don't care. Alot of men in DMV including Baltimore are on the down low so there is that dynamic.

Alot of men that come to DMV from other places couldn't get women where they were before so now they take revenge on the women in DMV that are willing to have a relationship. They act like they are all that and more. Remember guys you are the same person you were before you moved here.

Old 11-20-2015, 06:21 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,971,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangokiwi View Post
It's the man-child ideology of the "Men's Rights Activists" and the "Return of Kings" "Roosh V" crowd. They think that they're going to learn from another male loser what the best way to manipulate and trick women is, and how to fool naive young women in to sleeping with their sorry loser asses. Basically they are sex predators because they only go after very young, very inexperienced women because they know they can lie to them and get away with it.
I could see that. Makes sense.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:56 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,971,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
D DC men are social and economic climbers in every area of their life including relationships so most women feel they have to list credentials. They could be unemployed, uneducated and living in their parents basement and still expect a high powered career woman to support them so they can brag to the rest of their unemployed, uneducated friends. The high powered educated men do the same. If they just want to sleep with you they don't care. Alot of men in DMV including Baltimore are on the down low so there is that dynamic.
And this is the point that I am trying to make but on both sides. There is a texture unique to the DC area that lends itself to all credential listing and high power bragging. Sure, it's great for you career wise but socially speaking, it's annoying and IT'S NOT natural. It doesn't apply in most places.

And I know there are people here that expect everyone to conform in that if one doesn't have a Ph.D, DC is not suitable for you. Rather than being inclusive, they want to take this "you are not worthy" stance. And this goes for BOTH men and women.

So muffy1, I really think we should stop pointing fingers and come to terms that it is DC that creates this, not men, not women. Sure you can speak from your perspective as a woman and from your personal experiences. But I don't think you should single out any certain group.

I myself grew up in the NE and spent most of my time after travel in Florida. I wanted to be around my Caribbean and European culture. Coming here is a culture shock because I prefer being in places where there is balance. However, I started to feel Miami was becoming a bit too isolated. Moving here is actually a bit better but worse at times because there is no place to go but quaint historic places or drive 3 hours. But that is my perspective, not to be imposed on to anyone else. And there are others like me that feel this way.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
And this is the point that I am trying to make but on both sides. There is a texture unique to the DC area that lends itself to all credential listing and high power bragging. Sure, it's great for you career wise but socially speaking, it's annoying and IT'S NOT natural. It doesn't apply in most places.

And I know there are people here that expect everyone to conform in that if one doesn't have a Ph.D, DC is not suitable for you. Rather than being inclusive, they want to take this "you are not worthy" stance. And this goes for BOTH men and women.

So muffy1, I really think we should stop pointing fingers and come to terms that it is DC that creates this, not men, not women. Sure you can speak from your perspective as a woman and from your personal experiences. But I don't think you should single out any certain group.

I myself grew up in the NE and spent most of my time after travel in Florida. I wanted to be around my Caribbean and European culture. Coming here is a culture shock because I prefer being in places where there is balance. However, I started to feel Miami was becoming a bit too isolated. Moving here is actually a bit better but worse at times because there is no place to go but quaint historic places or drive 3 hours. But that is my perspective, not to be imposed on to anyone else. And there are others like me that feel this way.

I can see a lot of truth in this. There is a culture of DC that is unique in the world, there is nowhere else in the world like DC.

Many people who live and work there think they are the most powerful and important people on the planet. They think they are the smartest and best in our nation. Maybe some of them are correct. Then there are those who are hangers-on to this scene, and they try to appear to be the smartest, most powerful, most important people. DC is a very competitive place even though it's not as corporate as other cities. The competition in DC is cut throat. It's no wonder people work themselves to death and somehow manage to work out 5X a week to keep the perfect body, people are trying to out do each other and to be the best, smartest, most qualified people in the country, 24/7.

I can relate to feeling isolated in DC. DC is weirdly situated where the Appalachian mountains meet the Bay. It's a small city and there is a DC bubble that, over time, makes you forget what real life is like and what a big country this is. Because DC is so small, so crowded and busy, and because you may end up spending so much time indoors at work or at the gym or in the Metro, it starts to feel like you're living in one giant office building and that the real world has ceased to exist.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:53 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times
Quote:
I can see a lot of truth in this. There is a culture of DC that is unique in the world, there is nowhere else in the world like DC.

Many people who live and work there think they are the most powerful and important people on the planet. They think they are the smartest and best in our nation. Maybe some of them are correct. Then there are those who are hangers-on to this scene, and they try to appear to be the smartest, most powerful, most important people. DC is a very competitive place even though it's not as corporate as other cities. The competition in DC is cut throat. It's no wonder people work themselves to death and somehow manage to work out 5X a week to keep the perfect body, people are trying to out do each other and to be the best, smartest, most qualified people in the country, 24/7.

I can relate to feeling isolated in DC. DC is weirdly situated where the Appalachian mountains meet the Bay. It's a small city and there is a DC bubble that, over time, makes you forget what real life is like and what a big country this is. Because DC is so small, so crowded and busy, and because you may end up spending so much time indoors at work or at the gym or in the Metro, it starts to feel like you're living in one giant office building and that the real world has ceased to exist.
You could post the same thing in the NYC forum and it would be just as true. Except for the "small place" part which isn't really true. DC is not small. Most people who live in DC just limit themselves to a 5 mile radius. So that makes it feel small.

The city is medium sized and the metro area is huge.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
You could post the same thing in the NYC forum and it would be just as true. Except for the "small place" part which isn't really true. DC is not small. Most people who live in DC just limit themselves to a 5 mile radius. So that makes it feel small.

The city is medium sized and the metro area is huge.
I disagree about NYC, NYC is huge in territory and population. DC is a one-industry town, everything is devoted to government. It's a bit like a larger version of a company town, where everyone in the town works for the same company and they use a special kind of currency to buy things at the company store. NYC is not like that at all. DC actually has a short history of having a large population, but NYC does not. DC was not as populous until the 1940's, and only really had a huge population boom recently starting in 2008.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:22 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,754,213 times
I just want to say, I think this is the longest running thread on here. And it's about relationship. So what does that say about people in DC?

Old 11-21-2015, 11:17 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times
Quote:
I disagree about NYC, NYC is huge in territory and population. DC is a one-industry town, everything is devoted to government. It's a bit like a larger version of a company town, where everyone in the town works for the same company and they use a special kind of currency to buy things at the company store. NYC is not like that at all. DC actually has a short history of having a large population, but NYC does not. DC was not as populous until the 1940's, and only really had a huge population boom recently starting in 2008.
What part of "the metro area is huge" did you miss? The metro area has been huge for a very long time. It doesn't matter if its NOVA or Bethesda.. these areas are still part of the "DC area". But like I said.. people are obsessed with defining the entire area by the borders of downtown DC which makes no sense to me.

And everything in DC is not devoted to Government. You sound like someone who learned everything you know about DC from movies and TV shows.

Old 11-21-2015, 05:50 PM

814 posts, read 911,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post
I just want to say, I think this is the longest running thread on here. And it's about relationship. So what does that say about people in DC?
What does it say about the people? I would first like to know how many DC natives have commented on this thread cause
they are the ones with the roots, not some transplant from dust bowl Idaho who was raised on a potato farm. I'm originally from NY and the hipster transplant pretty much killed any traditions NY ever had, how many neighborhood businesses are still left, those idiots get excited over a Starbucks, smh.

Anyways for the real folks of DC I would like to know what is it really like to find a date in DC? If you're a Metro bus mechanic you cant find a girl? DC has no real people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: