Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What climate do you prefer?
Sydney, Australia 52 61.18%
Atlanta, Georgia, USA 33 38.82%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 01:47 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,176,477 times

Advertisements

Sydney. Still has enough warmth in summer, much milder winters, lots of sun, and enough rain all year round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 02:26 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizz0rd View Post
I love this thread. Finally some people that think Atlanta is too cold...

Thanks... I am from California and was trying to say Atlanta and parts north were too cold and grey for me! And getting nagged about it by people. I don't really like any temps under 40s, ever. A daily low even under 60 is quite rare and only a few days a year. I don't even like those, much less Atlanta. I know it isn't Boston...but it is damn cold to me.
The RECORD low where I'm from ever is 27 (-3) Record low in Atlanta is -9 (-23) ... That is a 32 degree temperature swing... Quite a big deal in my book and creates that leafless dead tree look everywhere, depressing. I hate that kind of cold, under 50 to me is cold enough as it is. I guess it is all relative, I'm sure people who grew up in it can handle it better.
Atlanta to me is NOT sunbelt... It isn't about how HOT it gets, it is about how cold it gets. For instance, Minneapolis at 108 has a higher record high than Atlanta... Nothing like the warm cities in parts of Florida, Texas, California or Arizona. Remember it's still almost a 700 mile drive from Atlanta to Miami.

The winter in Atlanta doesn't preclude people there growing many broadleaf evergreen species that are native to China (with colder winters or similar to Atlanta). But you are right about the native forests.

I heard on another forum that the US is artificially deciduous. Meaning that after the last ice age retreated, the Gulf of Mexico and the SW deserts were seed blocks for the broadleaf evergreen forests re-colonizing their former areas before the ice age killed them off. Even Florida the tropical species are relatively new being lesss than 2,000 yrs ago. Bald Cyrpess is naturalizing now in upstate NY. Slowly but surely the southern speices are moving north again.

Eastern China at the latitude of Philadelphia is colder in winter, yet the native vegetation is heavily broadleaf evergreen with ilex, lithocarpus and camelia to name some. Places in China with the similar temps to places in Louisiana and Mississippi have almost tropical jungle like native flora.
China had no seed block since it is directly connected to the tropics of SE Asia.

Western Europe isn't exactly broadleaf evergreen abundant either. I belive their seed block was the Med. Much of northern Western Europe is warmer in winter than the northeast US, yet their native forest is deciduous (dead trees in winter) also.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:40 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,456,014 times
Certainly Atlanta. A decent climate except for the bouts of freezing rain. Not really humid enough on average which I assume is due to the elevation, but far more comfortable than Sydney.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:43 PM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Sydney is decided better with milder winters and summers. But I do think the ATL climate is stil pretty good.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:01 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
Sydney by far.

Atlanta is too humid in the summer and its winters can get fairly cold.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:32 PM

142 posts, read 127,301 times
Atlanta HANDS DOWN better all the way.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:55 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,211,665 times
Sydney. A bit too cool in winter, but better than Atlanta.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:35 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
One thing I noticed. One marker for a sub-tropical type climate I once made up is that, if the average DIURNAL RANGE is larger than the average SEASONAL RANGE, than that climate is sub-tropical or tropical. For example, in Melbourne the average range in January is 14.0 to 25.8 - 11.8, in winter it's something like 8C. The annual average range probably around 10.5C. If the January average is 19.6C, and the July average say 10.0C, that's 9.6C, making Melbourne 'sub-tropical' in a way.

It seems more scientific to classify sub-tropical climates by their consistency...which would include climates such as Lima, which at that latitude should be tropical, but is cool enough to feel temperate.

One thing I always found peculiar was some super-continental climates, like Central Asia, tended to have small diurnal ranges but huge seasonal swings. I wonder what explains that?
Anyone think this is a valid point point ? - a bigger daily range than seasonal range = a subtropical characteristic.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:54 PM

7,217 posts, read 3,091,145 times
Sidney.

Atlanta has better winters, but i choose Sidney for the cooler summers.
Atlanta is too hot in summer.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:46 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
Both fairly reasonable climates. I'd pick Atlanta on this one, mainly due to the higher sunshine hours. If sunshine hours were very similar, I'd stick with my home town.
US sunshine hours are overestimated by around 200-300 hours. Going by the measures according to international standards, Atlanta's sunshine hours will probably be around 2450 or 2550, lower than Sydney's 2660 hours. And no, Yuma might not be the sunniest place on earth after all.

There was a thread on this:

//www.city-data.com/forum/weath...on-thread.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather