Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2014, 05:17 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,950,547 times

Advertisements

Not bad, Mar89.

Except, I'd say the lower half of the North Island (NZ) should be cool temperate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 05:31 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
Not bad, Mar89.

Except, I'd say the lower half of the North Island (NZ) should be cool temperate.
So I live in the same climate zone as Sweden, Canada, Russia etc?

I'll be interested in the reasoning for that one?

Lines on a map mean nothing, without any attempt to qualify or quantify.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
So I live in the same climate zone as Sweden, Canada, Russia etc?

I'll be interested in the reasoning for that one?

Lines on a map mean nothing, without any attempt to qualify or quantify.
I'm only going by the context of his maps (or "lines").

If Tasmania (i.e. Launceston) is cool temperate on his map, why would Wellington be warm temperate?

Old 10-29-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
I'm only going by the context of his maps (or "lines").

If Tasmania (i.e. Launceston) is cool temperate on his map, why would Wellington be warm temperate?
Cool temperate and warm temperate are both meaningless terms, that can't describe climate -they don't give any indication of weather systems, and can't give an expectation of what weather can be expected at any given time. They have no actual use and don't in any way provide a meaningful understanding of a place's climate.

If you think it's "not bad", does than mean you think Launceston has the same basic climate as Mongolia?

Last edited by Joe90; 10-29-2014 at 05:58 PM..

Old 10-29-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Cool temperate and warm temperate are both meaningless terms, that can't describe climate -they don't give any indication of weather systems, and can't give an expectation of what weather can be expected at any given time.

If you think it's "not bad", does than mean you think Launceston has the same climate as Mongolia?
By "not bad" I meant he got a C+. Good effort, but far from perfect.

He should've made a "subarctic" corridor that involved Mongolia, Northern Scandinavia and mid-central Canada. Oh well...

And I disagree. I prefer warm temperate and cool temperate any day over the filler that you call humid subtropical, where we have cities like Hong Kong, Brisbane and *cough* NYC and Sochi somehow creeping under it.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:

And I disagree. I prefer warm temperate and cool temperate any day over the filler that you call humid subtropical, where we have cities like Hong Kong, Brisbane and *cough* NYC and Sochi somehow creeping under it.
Koppen's system provides a coherent explanation of the root cause of an areas climate. If you look at weather patterns, Koppen makes a lot of sense. A study of climate involves cause as well as effect. Climates that Koppen described as Cfa are a logical grouping when you want to understand climate as a whole, even if the effects are different.

Explain how warm and cool temperate provide a better understanding of climate?. Explain how Launceston and North Dakota have a commonality?

Last edited by Joe90; 10-29-2014 at 06:25 PM..

Old 10-29-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Explain how warm and cool temperate provide a better understanding of climate?. Explain how Launceston and North Dakota have a commonality?
Explain how New York City and Brisbane have a commonality? Oh, don't forget, Sochi and Dubbo? You see, it goes both ways here.

North Dakota would be continental-temperate in my book. New York and Chicago are also a milder version of continental-temperate. Launceston and most of upper NZ is warm temperate. Sydney, Brisbane, LA and Hong Kong are subtropical. London and Dunedin are cool temperate.

Tropical: Highs above 26C all year round.
Subtropical: Summer highs exceeding 26C. Winter highs staying above 14C.
Warm temperate: Summers highs between 23C and 25C. Winter highs not going below 12C
Cool temperate: Summers highs between 15C and 22C. Winter highs usually around 5C to 10C (any lower it's continental).
Continental-temperate: Summer highs usually above 22C (no real limit - they can even reach 33C). Winter highs must be below 0C.
Continental-subarctic: Summer highs can be around 16C - 22C. Winter highs must be lower than -8C.
Maritime subarctic: Summer highs around 14C-18C. Winter highs not going below -3C.
Tundra: Highs around -5C to 10C all year round.
Polar: Below 0C all year round.

Now don't tell me that these classifications are "meaningless". Under Koppen, they might be - He doesn't own these terms. And it's subjective anyway.

Last edited by Ethereal; 10-29-2014 at 07:20 PM..

Old 10-29-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Explain how New York City and Brisbane have a commonality? Oh, don't forget, Sochi and Dubbo? You see, it goes both ways here.

Now don't tell me that these classifications are "meaningless". Under Koppen, they might be - He doesn't own these terms. And it's subjective anyway.
No, it doesn't cut both ways, and it isn't subjective.

Koppen was a scientist, and he gives an explanation for the climate, not of the climate.

Interest in climate can be of the scientific type, the keen observer/holiday guide type, or a mixture of both. It's important to understand the greater context and not get science confused with the ideal holiday guide.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:23 PM

Quote:
No, it doesn't cut both ways, and it isn't subjective.

Koppen was a scientist, and he gives an explanation for the climate, not of the climate.
First, the majority agree that New York City and Washington DC are not subtropical (they're temperate at best, and there is a difference between the two alright). And I can say with confidence say that New York City and Dubbo are far from alike (apparently, they're both Cfa's).

Again, it's his subjective work. We have the rights to tag it as being incorrect and have our own perception. You're just defending him because you're a supporter of his, so you might be a bit biased.

IMO, scientist or not, still doesn't make him more reliable or genuine. Yes, I know people would usually refer to this scheme - He's just the most popular one really. That's the biggest factor about him I guess - Popularity.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:38 AM

Quote:
First, the majority agree that New York City and Washington DC are not subtropical (they're temperate at best, and there is a difference between the two alright). And I can say with confidence say that New York City and Dubbo are far from alike (apparently, they're both Cfa's).

Again, it's his subjective work. We have the rights to tag it as being incorrect and have our own perception. You're just defending him because you're a supporter of his, so you might be a bit biased.

IMO, scientist or not, still doesn't make him more reliable or genuine. Yes, I know people would usually refer to this scheme - He's just the most popular one really. That's the biggest factor about him I guess - Popularity.
Looks like the anti science hour.

Might be time for a new thread - Are Winds Caused by Dragons?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather