Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2024, 03:38 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times

Advertisements

NJ and Philly storm tomorrow

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2024, 04:49 PM

30,397 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Another 0% sunshine day. High around 61f. 80's coming back fast as we go back to a normal winter with mid 80's inland.

Old 01-18-2024, 05:00 PM

2,815 posts, read 1,405,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
Low of 20 F here this morning. It was colder than yesterday morning due to the radiational nature of frost hollow Statesboro's performances.
Lol, frost hollow Statesboro is doing a great job.
Quote:
KDNL got down to 28 F
KSAV got down to 25 F
Augusta Daniel Field's cold air drainage coming into play.
Quote:
KCHS got down to 27 F. Now I'm curious how the Battery fared.
As am I. I would be very surprised if it got to 0C, though, because the difference in radiational cold fronts is usually well over 3C.
Quote:
Zone 9B Tybee Island got down to 32 F sometime between midnight and 2 AM before getting warmer.
Another station was decidedly warmer than that.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KGATYBEE24
Quote:
Have they had a freeze yet this season, including both this morning, as well as that December morning when the KCHS dropped to 27 F? I want to know if there are any remaining seasonal non-Florida freeze free locations in the southeast.
I want to know so too. You can see climate data for Downtown Charleston as the 3rd option down from Charleston and Savannah Airports, we won't know about this morning until tomorrow but during the December cold front they were 2C vs the airport's -3C, so no frost until at least January 17.
Quote:
How have other coastal locations in the Carolinas fared?
Cape Hatteras down to -2C yesterday and 0C today. Ocracoke may or may not have reached 0C yesterday or today, no data yet.
I hope Ocracoke was lucky, they have very good latitude-relative performance for the Southeast US.

Old 01-18-2024, 07:01 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Looks like no good snow chances for the Twin Cities. We went from an extreme winter of snow to a super mild one with barely any snow. Not much in between. I predict more drought this summer smh

Old 01-18-2024, 08:02 PM

29,505 posts, read 19,602,720 times

After the upcoming January thaw which will start around the last week of January and likely the first few days or first week of February the recent CFSV2 is saying dont expect an early spring for the eastern 2/3rds

Old 01-18-2024, 09:34 PM

2,505 posts, read 1,845,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
Lol, frost hollow Statesboro is doing a great job.

Augusta Daniel Field's cold air drainage coming into play.

As am I. I would be very surprised if it got to 0C, though, because the difference in radiational cold fronts is usually well over 3C.

Another station was decidedly warmer than that.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KGATYBEE24

I want to know so too. You can see climate data for Downtown Charleston as the 3rd option down from Charleston and Savannah Airports, we won't know about this morning until tomorrow but during the December cold front they were 2C vs the airport's -3C, so no frost until at least January 17.

Cape Hatteras down to -2C yesterday and 0C today. Ocracoke may or may not have reached 0C yesterday or today, no data yet.
I hope Ocracoke was lucky, they have very good latitude-relative performance for the Southeast US.
A 5 C/9 F difference between the Battery and the Charleston airport is pretty substantial, especially considering how close they are to one another, much closer than Tybee is to the Savannah/HHI airport.

That station that you have highlighted for Tybee is in fact the Crab Shack restaurant. I did not know they were the ones recording their own weather! I've eaten there several times over the past few years. Their crab legs are delicious!

Old 01-19-2024, 06:07 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Philly Snowstorm underway!

Moderate Snow falling with visibility of 1/2 mile in Eastern PA into NJ this morning. Temperatures in the mid-upper 20s.

Old 01-19-2024, 06:21 AM

2,815 posts, read 1,405,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
A 5 C/9 F difference between the Battery and the Charleston airport is pretty substantial, especially considering how close they are to one another, much closer than Tybee is to the Savannah/HHI airport.
Believe it or not, yesterday morning was even more so! The data is now in and the Battery was only 4C compared to the -3C at the Charleston Airport, I've never seen a difference so large between them!
Could be that the Battery had more wind, I remember from Charleston Airport staying 3C warmer than Savannah Airport on November 29-30 that wind differences can reverse or exacerbate radiational differences and it's easy to see that happening here.

And although their substantial differences are in spite of their closer distance than Savannah Airport and Tybee Island (which as I've postulated before probably has to do with the fact that Charleston's Battery station is literally right on the immediate coast while even Tybee's is not), in the Southeast US you lose out on maritime influence during radiational events very rapidly when you are not on the immediate coast, so once a station is inland by a certain point it doesn't really make much or any difference as to whether it is just past the no maritime influence threshold, or many kilometers away.

Quote:
That station that you have highlighted for Tybee is in fact the Crab Shack restaurant. I did not know they were the ones recording their own weather! I've eaten there several times over the past few years. Their crab legs are delicious!
Thank you for that little story lol. I did not know they were the Crab Shack restaurant, glad you enjoyed those crab legs.

Maybe one day I can get in on the action too! Although I am still not certain as to whether this is possible, in the future I may be able to visit Tallahassee and collaborate with meteorology professor Henry Fuelberg to set up some weather stations in the pine forest that can be compared to cold hole KTLH (and to the Challenger Learning Center).
If that is successful, when I fly back to Atlanta from Tallahassee, I might as well take a moment to go to Tybee Island before going home to try a bite of those mouthwatering-sounding crab legs in your honor.

Speaking of other places like Tallahassee:

-The coldest KTLH has gotten so far is -4C, same as the Challenger Learning Center, since the most powerful cold front has been advective. I'm not specifically hoping for this (because the odds are so low and I have the pretty much guaranteed-to-do-well Challenger Learning Center), but given the similar advective cold front and the similar February forecast this may end up as similar to 2015, which KTLH lucked out for and did notably well.
As for the Challenger Learning Center, I wonder if it will get frost in February. Literally the only February to get some since it started in 2014 was February 2015, and since this looks similar as mentioned above, it could.

-Ocracoke data is now in. They reached -2C on January 17, for years with data that 346 day frost-free season is the longest ever!

-Sapelo Island, unless they got lucky with wind or cloud cover, most likely had frost already like alluded to in past comments. No data past January 8 but January 3 got to 1C and it was much tamer than January 17-18.

So it looks like Charleston's Battery is the only non-Florida station that is frost-free, unless we can find some lucky wunderground spots.

Last edited by Can't think of username; 01-19-2024 at 06:30 AM..

Old 01-19-2024, 07:59 AM

29,505 posts, read 19,602,720 times
Cold tomorrow and Sunday

Old 01-19-2024, 08:10 AM

5,890 posts, read 6,088,552 times
Congrats to NYC for finally getting some snow (I think? seems like temps will be near freezing mark).

We're supposed to get another round (4-5") on the 23rd as the warm weather arrives, but with a risk of rain mixing in since it will be very close to the 0C mark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather