Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2010, 12:09 PM

787 posts, read 1,942,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post

1) Los Angeles was very diverse but not integrated. The Hispancis and blacks are mostly poor and live in separate neighborhoods. Whites and Asian are mostly wealthy and live together but don't seem to socialize together much.

2) In California it is common for people to not have a single good friend from a different race which I found very shocking and unusual having traveled across America.

Many places I've visited where segregation used to be enforced by law seem more integrated today.....in terms of seeing mixed groups of friends socializing, mixed marriages and dating, etc. Here in Maryland many parts of the state have some bad history in the civil rights era but if you take a community with sizable numbers of both black and white people, most people will have at least 2-3 good friends who are of a different race which isn't always true in the parts of California or New Jersey I've visited! With large immigrant communities in LA and the NY area I think that allows for a lot of self-segregation which perpetuates itself in the second generation not connecting with mainstream society and a more and more fractured culture.

3) Someone said Miami....I'll be visiting in January and have only passed through on the way once from the airport to the cruise ship. I don't know how the Hispancis and the white Americans interact, or if there are large black or Asian populations there.
1) And you are basing this info on your "visit" to an area? Actual data from the 2000 Census (the most recent figures available) show Los Angeles to be LESS segregated than places like NYC, Boston, and Chicago. And about the same as Dallas, Texas.

See CensusScope link here:
CensusScope -- Segregation: Dissimilarity Indices

Granted economic segregation does play a role esp. in areas with many immigrants from poor countries (NYC, LA, etc). But that CHANGES with the 2nd generation.

2) This is a crazy assertion on your part with no actual data to back that up. Don't let your experience "color" or bias reality.

3) FYI...most Hispanics in the U.S. are white...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 08:19 PM

344 posts, read 462,584 times
From the ones I have visited, New York City.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:22 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
You said across the globe. I would say London is very diverse in Europe. You can walk around for a day in some neighbourhoods without meeting an English person, and to the untrained eye those who can be British are often students or professionals from other northern European countries.
I'll agree with London, Maybe LA or New York for
the US

Old 09-02-2010, 10:57 AM

221 posts, read 535,506 times
Rotterdam, New York, Stockholm, Toronto, Malmö, Amsterdam, London, Paris..

Old 09-03-2010, 03:59 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,739,064 times
For North America I would say Toronto, NYC, LA, Chicago, Houston, and the DC/Northern Virginia area.

Outside of that London without a doubt.

Old 09-04-2010, 02:03 PM

331 posts, read 904,040 times
New York City

Old 09-04-2010, 09:53 PM

291 posts, read 752,451 times
You people have no clue...

The most diverse and racially integrated in the world is LOS ANGELES.

Engrave this in your brain.

NO other city has Fijians next to Ethiopians , Armenians, Zapotecs, Fresians all in one city and getting along in relative harmony.

NOT ONE.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:42 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,869,415 times
any major Canadian city i think

Old 09-07-2010, 10:42 AM

83 posts, read 418,886 times
We have to keep in mind race too, so Washington and London are out, they are about 70% white, which makes them 'only' comparable to the US. (When including Hispanic whites of the US)

Also, are we counting cities or entire metropolitan areas (the latter applies for the above), New York and Chicago city limits for example are about 1/3 white, black, and Hispanic.

Los Angeles county, which has 10 million people (about as many as Chicago, Washington-Baltimore, and London metros, largest county in the US) is 1/2 white, 1/10 Asian, 1/10 black, and 1/2 Hispanic regardless of race, which makes it more diverse than the Chicago or Washington metros.

Toronto city limits are currently 1/2 foreign born, compared to 1/10 in the 80's regardless of race.

My picks for the world are Los Angeles, New York, and Toronto.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:47 AM

589 posts, read 756,826 times
How about the most Racially diverse cities in Asia or Africa ? Going by this thread it seems people only want to move to European built cities in North America, Europe or Australia. Thats not very diverse!

So are the Japanese embracing racial diversity, how about the Chinese, Indians, Nigerians ? Would be interesting to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World