Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 03:41 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,887 times

Advertisements

I wish you all good luck, for me personally its worth anything I had to go through to be a Mother...

I also have seen the stories about the individuals who have been scammed when trying to adopt privately, I hope you will all be on your gaurd and not get taken advantage of.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:53 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,126,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964 View Post
I agree with Christina
Although I am going to ask you a question that I know I may get hatenail for
It is by no means to make anyone including the poster feel badly?

If you don't feel you would have $10,000 to afford an adoption why would you feel comfortable adopting?
Children are a large expense much more than $10,000 a year I am afraid
How would you be able to afford all the little do-dads that come along with having this child eg crib, diapers, formula, toys, clothes.
Again I say I am not trying to upset anyone but these are things to consider
I can assure you that most, if not at all, people looking into adoption realize the expense of raising children...but as mrshvo wrote coming up with 10-30k up front for adoption isn't easy. If you take into account that many of us have spent tens of thousands of dollars on infertility treatments, coming up with that kind of cash right away is daunting if not impossible.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:21 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
My husband and I have great jobs (teacher and a mailman) 2 children already, would like another one, and could afford another one.

Perhaps the poster is like us...we don't have the $10,000-30,000 up front. Everyone knows children are a large expense, but luckily, we don't have to come up with all of that money upfront-it's a daily thing.

Just because I couldn't come up with that money upfront (well, I'm sure I could if I took out loans, but I don't have it in savings!!) doesn't mean I couldn't afford the child....
like i said I don't know I was just trying to keep it general
but why not consider fostering alot of these children really need help
they need someone who they can depend on being there

you and your husband seem like you have it together and really know what you want plus you already have 2 children
maybe that's what one of these kids need is a "real" family atmosphere

Old 05-19-2007, 02:27 AM

53 posts, read 162,211 times
Question Foster Children MIne or Yours

The laws change state to state, but I have been a foster MOM and proud of it in Ca. for two years. You can foster a baby, and do a fost-adopt. You are ONLY matched with children that will be placed for adoption. If you think it can't be done PLEASE pm me. We have a bio. son an adopted daughter, and two foster girls....AND THEY ARE ALL OURS!

Old 05-20-2007, 05:02 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,708,271 times
NOTE = Tax credit only applies to the actual amount that you spend on the adoption. If you only spend $5000. (example) that will be your credit. Chances are good that you will spend more than the credit amount...
Ours did not qualify until the following year (2006) because of our time frame and carried over to 2007.
See how Domestic vs. International differ. Keep all receipts for qualification.

Fostering is something I will be open to when my daughter is older.

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc607.html

http://tax-credit.adoption.com/

This link puts it in layman terms:
http://taxes.about.com/od/deductions...tioncredit.htm

And we did not need $20,000. up front as services were paid in installments, but we had to find it. We used the equity in our home to finance a large portion of the adoption expense and special savings to cover the rest. (We're not "wealthy", either...took some serious budget-tweeking and still enforced re-prioritizing.)

Last edited by 33458; 05-20-2007 at 05:18 PM..

Old 05-21-2007, 10:39 PM
jco jco started this thread

2,121 posts, read 6,452,385 times
Quote:
If you take into account that many of us have spent tens of thousands of dollars on infertility treatments, coming up with that kind of cash right away is daunting if not impossible.
Good point. We didn't spend this on fertility; we just don't have this kind of money upfront. As an update, my step-MIL teaches a class of girls who had babies as teens. She said that sometimes they realize all of the work involved and start to look into adoption. A friend of mine heard about a similar situation and ended up meeting a girl who had several children with several men and decided that she just "didn't want" the new baby. They didn't pay near as much for the adoption process, but they did pay for things here and there to make sure that the mom was healthy while carrying the baby.

It seems that it's less expensive if you don't have to go through an agency.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:35 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,940,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
My husband and I have, and have for years, a heart to adopt a child in the future. We're not by any means wealthy, and don't know that we would ever be able to pay 10-30k on an adoption. Does anyone know of a less expensive way of adopting?
My partner and I are in the same situation on adoptions. We are going the Open Adoption route. And since you're in AZ, check with your county if they have a foster to adopt program. One more thing...find a good lawyer! Interview around your city. Ask agencies for recommendations.

Well, Good luck in your journey. We wish you the best. Brikag

Old 03-14-2010, 07:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,505 times
this is natalia im a student at russiville school doing research on adoption tryen to make law diffrent about adoption because it is alot of money to adopt and im doing an article on it to like protest on it sooo im tryin to help people to affored it. cause theres children out there who need familys and want to be cared for but also life isnt always about money.... but im tryen my hardest to protest agianst it to help... im 16 years old

Old 03-14-2010, 08:08 PM

121 posts, read 347,932 times
Costs depend a LOT on where you adopt from and what kind of child you're interested in adopting. I know families who have spent as much as $20K and as little as $3,500.

I understand if you act quickly, there is a fast and inexpensive track if you're OK with adopting a black child from Haiti. Due to the earthquake in January, they cut the paperwork significantly. They even shipped a bunch of them to orphanages stateside while they wait for the red tape. They're actually quite beautiful children.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:10 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
I think Haiti has been very reluctant to start any new adoptions due to lack of proper documentation and in light of ther recent scandal. I would suggest looking into fostering. As far as domestic adoption please don't think you have to stasy in your same county of even state. But contacting your local county DFCS office is a good start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption