Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 08:59 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,609,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
There was a time when "Orientals" was THE word, and it didn't offend. That changed, though.

I've also seen white guys, usually of the more low-class variety, marry Mexican women, treat them the same way, yet generally want to avoid Mexicans.

I guess it has to do with how one wants to "perceive" their spouse as a part of their lives.
what we're white too

Old 09-17-2012, 09:02 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
what we're white too
Getting rid of the term 'white' would solve the whole 'are Hispanics white dilemma.' Why not start just saying Europeans instead of 'white', I hate that term.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:14 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
what we're white too
Growing up in LA, I had lots of Mexican friends/acquaintances who called others white and themselves Hispanic, previously Mexican.

In fact, I had a teen-aged Portuguese waitress wait on me in Vancouver BC one time. I had been in there before and she remembered me.
She told me "Oh my God, you remind me of this guy I go to school with."
I told her "You realize there's an age difference ... I could be your Dad. Is he Portuguese?"
She said "No, he's white."
I was sort of pissed and wasn't in the mood to discuss the fact that white includes ALL of Europe.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:22 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,609,332 times
has anyone else noticed that a large part of sexual preference comes down to what they're wearing? like i despise when i have to work gigs in the american midwest because i find 99.9% of the women unattractive. yet this year when i was workin in michigan went to the detroit electronic music festival and it felt like i was back in cali at electric daisy carnival or lovevolution or burning man or something, hot chicks everywhere. it just struck me, cuz these are prolly the same women i thought were ugly a few hours previously. all that had changed was they put on sexy clothes.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Growing up in LA, I had lots of Mexican friends/acquaintances who called others white and themselves Hispanic, previously Mexican.

In fact, I had a teen-aged Portuguese waitress wait on me in Vancouver BC one time. I had been in there before and she remembered me.
She told me "Oh my God, you remind me of this guy I go to school with."
I told her "You realize there's an age difference ... I could be your Dad. Is he Portuguese?"
She said "No, he's white."
I was sort of pissed and wasn't in the mood to discuss the fact that white includes ALL of Europe.
Shows how people have different ideas of what 'white' is. It's a nonsensical term anyway since it's subjective. Who is white and who isn't? Are Sicilians 'white'? Is a Greek white? What about an Arab, a Jew, an Egyptian? What about a northern Indian?

Old 09-17-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
has anyone else noticed that a large part of sexual preference comes down to what they're wearing? like i despise when i have to work gigs in the american midwest because i find 99.9% of the women unattractive. yet this year when i was workin in michigan went to the detroit electronic music festival and it felt like i was back in cali at electric daisy carnival or lovevolution or burning man or something, hot chicks everywhere. it just struck me, cuz these are prolly the same women i thought were ugly a few hours previously. all that had changed was they put on sexy clothes.
That's partly it. Men are probably drawn more to sexiness and superficial 'femininity'. I think in a club, with the lighting, woman look a lot more attractive with their makeup/clothes than they do just walking out on the street. Women in uniform - i.e. women in business suits - also does something for me.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:19 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,861,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
My grown son lives in Singapore and he has been asked to become an anonymous sperm donor. He was told many couples seeking this service prefer a Caucasian donor. I was surprised.
He also tells me he has absolutely no trouble attracting the interest of Asian women and frequently finds himself the center of attention at social functions. I know many Caucasian people live all over the world and in Singapore so it's not like they are an oddity.

He has adopted Asian sisters and we are a very progressive family and maybe it is his level of comfort with all kinds which makes him attractive to these people. I'm just wondering if the ladies on this forum would answer my question. Do you or do you know ladies who seek out Caucasian men?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Kudzu,
Tell your son that these Singaporean women are looking for someone like him...they're celebrities too..good luck!

Diva - Actress needs sperm donor - Caucasian preferred
@no kudzu, It is just a business proposal, imho. Just make sure that your son has his lawyer to vet through the contract meticulously.

The story (in the link provided by JL) isn't hard to believe. Google "Eurasian models in Asia". Good incomes.

There has been an increase of inter-racial marriages in Singapore in recent years between local women and expatriate men. So I heard. Being such a small country, there is a limited gene pool. So it's a win-win for sundries and all.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:29 AM

1,189 posts, read 2,554,760 times
Quote:
It sounds like you live in the Bay Area and your viewpoint is skewed.

More Asian women prefer Caucasian men than the other way around. It's not even close.
You may have a point. A lot of Asian women seem to really avoid dating Asian Men for reasons I will never understand.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:30 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,502,821 times
Personally i dont really think that asian women (that is asian women who live in asia, speak an asian language etc) really seek out Caucasian men, and if they do they are only after your money.

The may find Caucasian men attractive, but they also have family, language and religious issues etc to get around and these are very difficult things to overcome, I know that from experience.

As for your english speaking all american asian, then you could be talking a different story.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 09-18-2012 at 02:36 AM..

Old 09-18-2012, 02:04 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
also lots of white guys that marry asian women are racist against asian people but they say they are married to an asian lady so they are not racist, etc, but they still try to put down asian men as inferior
Actually, you're making a racist statement to make those claims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia