Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2018, 11:34 PM

1,117 posts, read 841,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko_shanyang View Post
The skyscraper building in Jakarta if you compare with Manila of course jakarta is still the best good example of architectural design , luxury, next year more will be connected with mass transportation etc. skyscraper Manila is better but still different from Jakarta
Jakarta proves that Indonesia is no less competitive with metropolitan, etc. in the year 2018 this Jakarta ranked 7 world recorded has many skyscraper as much as 382, Manila not even included in the list

-https://kota.tokopedia.com/jakarta/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/berglee-fig11_017.jpg

-https://traveltripindonesia.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Monas-Jakarta-View-.jpg

even Jakarta ekspatriat are increasing which come from America, UK and etc, they are generally executives who are generally working in Jakarta, you do not wonder when you come to grand Indonesia, thamrin, kemang, kuningan city many find them there

-https://blog.sepulsa.id/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/tempat-nongkrong-di-jakarta-4.jpg

-https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-f0UPHKyMkyE/V3oq61AsojI/AAAAAAAAPdE/T6Di40RJSdIOClw5ssXmG3d-Ospg0fb0QCLcB/s1600/skye%2Brooftop%2Bbar%2Bjakarta.jpg

Oh nah different with in Manila almost rarely find expatriates executives , most are generally backpacker who come part time around slum in Manila
The reason Manila was not on that list is because Manila city is actually very tiny and doesnt have a lot of skyscrapers. Most of the skyscrapers are in other cities throughout Metro Manila, like Makati, Pasig, Taguig, and Quezon City. If you compare the number of skyscrapers in Metro Manila to the number in Jakarta, there are more in Metro Manila. There are 345 buildings in Metro Manila that are more than 90 meters, and 280 in Jakarta. These are some of the top cities in the world for skyscrapers
https://tudl0867.home.xs4all.nl/skylines.html

And before you say, "Isn't it unfair to compare all of Metro Manila to the city of Jakarta?" No it's not because Metro Manila actually has almost the same land area as Jakarta. So it makes more sense to compare Metro Manila to the city of Jakarta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 12:24 AM

1,002 posts, read 906,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
^^
Nah Manila and the Phils alone being one of the hotspot for offshoring businesses makes a bulk of substantial number of expats, the employees maybe Filipinos but many of the executives are foreigners living here. Backpackers are mainly concentrated to touristy areas like Palawan, Cebu, Bohol, Siargao, Boracay, etc. Manila is more of a business city rather than tourist or backpacker city. Not sure how big expat pop in Jakarta but certainly expat pop in Manila is huge.

PS: Metro Manila has more skyscraper than Jakarta. (Ugh so tiring to keep repeating this.)
Yeah Manila will always be a backpackers or tourist destination rather than a business compared to Jakarta which is always a business destination from abroad. Jakarta Expatriates ;
https://blog.sepulsa.id/wp-content/u...-jakarta-4.jpg
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-f0UPHKyMk...%2Bjakarta.jpg
https://anakjajan.files.wordpress.co...2/dscf6694.jpg

No wonder many backpackers / tourist are seen in Manila,
Is it because the cheap life makes Manila is preferred?
Or Filipinos are favored because they are generally fluent in english

Old 03-27-2018, 12:32 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,181,569 times
Quote:
^^
Nah Manila and the Phils alone being one of the hotspot for offshoring businesses makes a bulk of substantial number of expats, the employees maybe Filipinos but many of the executives are foreigners living here. Backpackers are mainly concentrated to touristy areas like Palawan, Cebu, Bohol, Siargao, Boracay, etc. Manila is more of a business city rather than tourist or backpacker city. Not sure how big expat pop in Jakarta but certainly expat pop in Manila is huge.

PS: Metro Manila has more skyscraper than Jakarta. (Ugh so tiring to keep repeating this.)
Backpackers - there aren't many that go to Manila or Jakarta. In Jakarta, they go to Jalan Jaksa. In Manila, they go to Ermita/Malate.

The trouble with Ermita/Malate is that is it SKETCHY!! Also, Manila isn't that cheap either. The hotel room prices are higher than their worth. You can get stuff in Manila for the low end of $30, but the quality will be without basic amenities. But backpackers do go there, they just have little reason to stay.

Jalan Jaksa (Jakarta) has a bit more backpackers, and it's not because Jakarta attracts them more. It's just that Jalan Jaksa is just a single street with one way in, and one way out...and things are a bit more self-contained. There isn't a whole lot to do there though, but there are some bars and restaurants...and you don't get the super sketch feel that you get in Manila's Ermita-Malate.

For example. I've been down to Ermita/Malate a handful of times. Once I watched one man chase another man down the street with a large butcher knife. I've also been harrassed by 40-something year old ladyOLDMEN catcalling me, and when I didn't come over, started giving me the F-You, which was so irritating I had to avoid that street, and it was fairly close to my hotel. Another thing, you'll find middle aged Filipina women who strip their kids naked and make them beg for food from foreigners - as they sit and play donggits (a filpina gambling game) all day. You also have street kids in general who will follow you around Ermita/Malate and try to pickpocket foreigners. They circle around foreigners quickly, but they circle around plenty of locals as well. Being you have local MOTHERS encouraging their kids to also beg from foreigners, it gets confusing which are homeless and which are gathering money for their mom's gambling habits. Ah....I have way too many other stories too - the area is so crazy. I went into a Wendy's Restaurants in Ermita, had some old Filipino guy QUICKLY join me...so I finished my food quickly, tossed the trash away, quickly left the restaurant taking a quick left turn, right turn, left turn, right turn...thought I lost him...and *BAM* there he was..."Where are you trying to go? Can I help you?"......and on and on and on. In short, it is DRAINING to be white and walk around the 'backpacker area'...i.e. 'cheap hotel area'. Backpackers usually hightail it out of the Metro area as quickly as possible. (Makati or Taguig is better - but hotels start around US$50 and go up much higher - so they price out backpackers).

Anyway, Jalan Jaksa isn't much of a backpacker area, but the prices are quite reasonable and much less stressful.

In regards to where backpackers go to Philippines. They don't go to Cebu - Cebu is more for white guy meets filipina, gest married, has kids, and wants the amenities of a city without the immense problems of Manila. They go to Cebu. It's also a popular place for OIL expats or U.S. Army guys or retired older white men as a place 'to date'.

Backpackers seem to like the Rice Terraces in Northern Luzon....Siargao is more for surfing. Boracay is for almost everyone. There really isn't a good backpacker area, that I can think of, in the traditional Thailand/Ko Sahn Road sense.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
The reason Manila was not on that list is because Manila city is actually very tiny and doesnt have a lot of skyscrapers. Most of the skyscrapers are in other cities throughout Metro Manila, like Makati, Pasig, Taguig, and Quezon City. If you compare the number of skyscrapers in Metro Manila to the number in Jakarta, there are more in Metro Manila. There are 345 buildings in Metro Manila that are more than 90 meters, and 280 in Jakarta. These are some of the top cities in the world for skyscrapers
https://tudl0867.home.xs4all.nl/skylines.html

And before you say, "Isn't it unfair to compare all of Metro Manila to the city of Jakarta?" No it's not because Metro Manila actually has almost the same land area as Jakarta. So it makes more sense to compare Metro Manila to the city of Jakarta.
We will always compare Jakarta and Manila because it is Capital , not Metro Manila etc, it's like I compare SCBD, or Kuningan city in Jakarta with Manila it feels weird

Old 03-27-2018, 01:13 AM

1,117 posts, read 841,683 times
Quote:
We will always compare Jakarta and Manila because it is Capital , not Metro Manila etc, it's like I compare SCBD, or Kuningan city in Jakarta with Manila it feels weird
Metro Manila and Jakarta are the "National Capital Region" and the "Special Capital Region" of their country. So they are basically the same thing. Manila city by itself isnt the capital because the various government buildings are spread throughout Metro Manila. For example, the Senate is in Pasay City. The House of Representatives is in Quezon City. So all of Metro Manila is the capital of the Philippines, not just Manila city. Just like all of Jakarta is the capital of Indonesia, not just South Jakarta or North Jakarta, or whatever

It would be ridiculous to compare Manila city to Jakarta because Manila city is only 43 sq km with a population of less than 2 million. Compared to Jakarta with 662 sq km and more than 9 million people. Metro Manila and Jakarta are much more comparable in land area and population.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:30 PM

732 posts, read 779,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Backpackers - there aren't many that go to Manila or Jakarta. In Jakarta, they go to Jalan Jaksa. In Manila, they go to Ermita/Malate.

The trouble with Ermita/Malate is that is it SKETCHY!! Also, Manila isn't that cheap either. The hotel room prices are higher than their worth. You can get stuff in Manila for the low end of $30, but the quality will be without basic amenities. But backpackers do go there, they just have little reason to stay.

Jalan Jaksa (Jakarta) has a bit more backpackers, and it's not because Jakarta attracts them more. It's just that Jalan Jaksa is just a single street with one way in, and one way out...and things are a bit more self-contained. There isn't a whole lot to do there though, but there are some bars and restaurants...and you don't get the super sketch feel that you get in Manila's Ermita-Malate.

For example. I've been down to Ermita/Malate a handful of times. Once I watched one man chase another man down the street with a large butcher knife. I've also been harrassed by 40-something year old ladyOLDMEN catcalling me, and when I didn't come over, started giving me the F-You, which was so irritating I had to avoid that street, and it was fairly close to my hotel. Another thing, you'll find middle aged Filipina women who strip their kids naked and make them beg for food from foreigners - as they sit and play donggits (a filpina gambling game) all day. You also have street kids in general who will follow you around Ermita/Malate and try to pickpocket foreigners. They circle around foreigners quickly, but they circle around plenty of locals as well. Being you have local MOTHERS encouraging their kids to also beg from foreigners, it gets confusing which are homeless and which are gathering money for their mom's gambling habits. Ah....I have way too many other stories too - the area is so crazy. I went into a Wendy's Restaurants in Ermita, had some old Filipino guy QUICKLY join me...so I finished my food quickly, tossed the trash away, quickly left the restaurant taking a quick left turn, right turn, left turn, right turn...thought I lost him...and *BAM* there he was..."Where are you trying to go? Can I help you?"......and on and on and on. In short, it is DRAINING to be white and walk around the 'backpacker area'...i.e. 'cheap hotel area'. Backpackers usually hightail it out of the Metro area as quickly as possible. (Makati or Taguig is better - but hotels start around US$50 and go up much higher - so they price out backpackers).

Anyway, Jalan Jaksa isn't much of a backpacker area, but the prices are quite reasonable and much less stressful.

In regards to where backpackers go to Philippines. They don't go to Cebu - Cebu is more for white guy meets filipina, gest married, has kids, and wants the amenities of a city without the immense problems of Manila. They go to Cebu. It's also a popular place for OIL expats or U.S. Army guys or retired older white men as a place 'to date'.

Backpackers seem to like the Rice Terraces in Northern Luzon....Siargao is more for surfing. Boracay is for almost everyone. There really isn't a good backpacker area, that I can think of, in the traditional Thailand/Ko Sahn Road sense.
Try watching YouTube more often at recent rate and you'll see considerable number of backpackers in El Nido not much but growing in Coron and Port Barton. The same goes with Bohol, Cebu and Siargao, backpackers are growing in leaps and bounds. Cebu? I think there are more backpackers now there more than before. I think you already heard of(and may have already been there) Badian Canyoneering where Kawasan Falls is, whale shark diving in Oslob, Osmenja Peak, which resembles somehow Bohols Chocolate Hills, sardine run in Moalboal, Malapuasca etc, these are the places where backpackers are into nowadays. You might be confusing again the City of Cebu and the Cebu Province. Siargao offers more than just surfing and is getting already attention stealing limelight from Palawan hence the sudden rush of backapackers/tourist going there. If you are looking for a top backpacker area in the Phils you might be overlooking Boracay or recently Palawan though I dont think its the same level as to what Khao San Rd is though. They are just not designed as to how Khao San was meant to be.

Regarding Manila, Malate isn't a backpacker area either. Maybe there are many backpackers but the area is actually designed for nightlife, bars, discos and for the fun naughty vibe. It wasn't designed for foreigners in mind, it's supposed to be for everyone especially locals. I'd say part of Malate is sketchy and part of it isn't much depends which side of the town you are. Tbh there are better alternatives in Quezon City, there's a good reason why it is considered the entertainment capital of the metro and I think the whole Phils. Malate sounds old to me and frequented by DOMs, not really pleasant for me.

I think $30 is already a price of a decent hotel in Manila. I can even stay in a hostel with decent amenities at $15-$20 at the low-end. Just been there recently.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Yeah Manila will always be a backpackers or tourist destination rather than a business compared to Jakarta which is always a business destination from abroad. Jakarta Expatriates ;
https://blog.sepulsa.id/wp-content/u...-jakarta-4.jpg
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-f0UPHKyMk...%2Bjakarta.jpg
https://anakjajan.files.wordpress.co...2/dscf6694.jpg

No wonder many backpackers / tourist are seen in Manila,
Is it because the cheap life makes Manila is preferred?
Or Filipinos are favored because they are generally fluent in english
I dont think you are closely attentive of what others are trying to tell. Can u pls try to read back what I said.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erran View Post
Fact speaking, Manila has way bigger slum than Jakarta, and more people live below poverty line. Simply search on Google won't hurt.

I read many blogs from Indonesians who have visited Manila and many argue that Manila is almost like Jakarta, but Jakarta is still better than Manila and some say Manila looks like Jakarta in 2005

Old 03-28-2018, 05:47 AM

Quote:
I read many blogs from Indonesians who have visited Manila and many argue that Manila is almost like Jakarta, but Jakarta is still better than Manila and some say Manila looks like Jakarta in 2005
Funny honestly how you are trying to make Jakarta better than Manila which apparently is not. 2005? Seriously? So hilarious! Google Earth is one tool you can utilize and did you see the article you posted abt Manila and Jakarta? That was a very fine and honest review and clearly Manila is still notch better. Try harder! Maybe few more decades you may.

PS: maybe I can visit Jakarta one day to see if it lives up to your description against Manila.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:31 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Funny honestly how you are trying to make Jakarta better than Manila which apparently is not. 2005? Seriously? So hilarious! Google Earth is one tool you can utilize and did you see the article you posted abt Manila and Jakarta? That was a very fine and honest review and clearly Manila is still notch better. Try harder! Maybe few more decades you may.

PS: maybe I can visit Jakarta one day to see if it lives up to your description against Manila.
Wait, are you extensively commenting as someone has not been to both?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia