Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2010, 05:53 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,048,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
No it's not; it's very accurate. He said, "It just needs to strive to be more like Charlotte, Nashville, or Raleigh-Durham. These are the cities that it can realistically emulate and are in the league just above." Birmingham's metro is around 1.2 million; Nashville's is about 1.6 million and Charlotte's is about 1.7 million. Yes, Nashville and Charlotte are in a league just above Birmingham.
A city and metro is more than just population it also is GDP, economy, amenities, and in these regards Birmingham is not even anywhere close to Nashville or Charlotte. If this is true then Birmingham is also close to Indianapolis, Cleveland, Cininnatti, Columbus,Pittsburgh,..... These cities hve CSA's above 2million( at least Charlotte is around 2.5 million.)

Greensboro metro is around 1.2 million. Do you actually think that Greensboro is in a league right below Charlotte and Nashville?!!! Come on Man........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Very much so.
Not at all .Stating reality.Population does not tell the whole story about any city. Is San jose in a league right below San Francisco? Is jacksonville in a league right below Miami?. Atlanta in attack mode again.... By the way I like Birmingham, it is full of history...

Old 12-02-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
No, I was spot on.

Civically insecure much?
Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?........

FYI, I am really surprised at you Akhenaton i have never seen you make a personal attack......

Old 12-02-2010, 09:54 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
Atlanta in attack mode again....
Not at all, and what a silly claim. More like you in denial mode again.

A lot of people to the west of here consider Birmingham to be just a step under Nashville. Other than professional sports, can you name anything Nashville has that Birmingham doesn't?

Old 12-02-2010, 10:41 AM

287 posts, read 498,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post

A lot of people to the west of here consider Birmingham to be just a step under Nashville. Other than professional sports, can you name anything Nashville has that Birmingham doesn't?
You mean aside from the the record labels and music venues? Lets not forget the music festivals.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:18 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmagoku View Post
You mean aside from the the record labels and music venues? Lets not forget the music festivals.
Good point. Doesn't Birmingham still have that huge music festival Downtown, though?

I can't remember what they call it, but a couple of friends have been in the past and said it was fantastic.

Nevermind - I just googled it, it was CityStages, and it sadly went bankrupt last year.
http://blog.al.com/mcolurso/2010/06/...tages_voi.html

Old 12-02-2010, 12:07 PM

106 posts, read 232,494 times
When I was younger and in school, and slightly dumber then I am now, I followed this girl to Birmingham, with this crew to help with an independent film she was doing. She had a huge crew, actors, actresses, little did I know, she was so completely inept that it was like trying to explain to a retarded monkey how to shoot scenes from her script, and to shoot them in a way that would actually cut together in the post-production process. I'm talkin, she had amassed this big ordeal, but when it came to shooting, she had absolutely no idea what she was talking about... That was a crash course in bad indie filmmaking, I drove through some of the hoods in Birmingham, and it was the most country, backwoods scary ghettos I've ever seen, I'd compare it to some places in Tenn and near Savannah, these people were extremely impoverished and very hungry, scary backwoods country folk. Then to top it off, after we left the shoot, and tried to get out of the hell hole, we were harassed by an Alabama trooper for speeding, but he just couldn't believe that we were out there to shoot a movie, make a long story short, it was a series of bad events, I'm still convinced Alabama in many respects is always 5-10 years behind the curve... I've had some real ignorant relatives from Macon move to Alabama, and they felt right at home if that tells you anything.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:16 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
I truly don't understand the animosity between cities. Birmingham is an excellent place with many fine attributes. Is it perfect? Of course not, but what city is? They're all works in progress.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:29 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I truly don't understand the animosity between cities. Birmingham is an excellent place with many fine attributes. Is it perfect? Of course not, but what city is? They're all works in progress.

Or the need to disparage the citizens of certain states or more provincial cities (Macon, Birmingham, Alabama, Mississippi, etc, etc...)

Old 12-02-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post

Here we go again:

Charlotte

Gdp:$118 billion

top 20 world wide airport(passenger travel)

Top 10(u.s.) # Fortune 500 headquarters

NBA, NFL

Nascar Hall of Fame/ Museums....

ACC Football Championship

ACC Basketball championship

NCaa tournament host

CIAA tournament

and the list goes on..........

Nashville

GDP: $85 billion

Grand ole opry

country music hall of fame

NFL

and the list goes on.....

Birmingham

GDP: 52 billion

few local amenities.........

How again is Birmingham on Charlotte and Nashvilles level or even close to their league????? and even if its not Birmingham is its own city with its own charm. Again just because Atlanta is ATLanta does not mean every other city in the south sucks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta