Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2011, 04:25 PM

16,717 posts, read 29,571,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
I think PKCorey has a point, and arjay's post was a bit misleading. I doubt the average teacher is finding a summertime gig that pays at the same rate as their school-year job, allowing them to bring home a gross annual income of $81K. The $60K teaching salary is probably more like it. That's not a bad income I guess, particularly when accompanied by excellent benefits, but neither is it exactly astoundingly lucrative.
Good post. Couldn't rep you again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 04:31 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,142,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Ebonics is a non-linguistic term--with racist connotations.

The dialect of American English known as African American Vernacular English does not have anything to do with this discussion--unless one has an alterior motive/agenda.

Peruse, por favor:
More to the point, it suggests teaching using an English with a different grammatical structure than standard American English. So how will this prepare these students for university work or becoming part of the American workforce?

Old 07-10-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
More to the point, it suggests teaching using an English with a different grammatical structure than standard American English. So how will this prepare these students for university work or becoming part of the American workforce?
Actually, it is about being aware of and using their different dialect background in order to help them acquire Standard American English. This would help them better navigate standard American society--along with an additional gift/asset of being bi-dialectual.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:11 PM

538 posts, read 926,784 times
Quote:
Actually, it is about being aware of and using their different dialect background in order to help them acquire Standard American English. This would help them better navigate standard American society--along with an additional gift/asset of being bi-dialectual.
Yep, keep teaching your kids to speak ebonics and give them names like Shardon'nay, Marquesha, Dontavius, etc. and see how far they get in their careers in "standard American society"......and then beotch about the results of course.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:13 PM

32,033 posts, read 36,841,743 times
Quote:
There are no teachers' unions in Georgia, arjay.
Well, that's true and I stand corrected. Two of my daughters-in-law have been teachers and I should know that.

However, many Georgia teachers are represented by the Georgia Association of Educators, which is an affiliate of NEA. Although they can't do collective bargaining here, GAE lobbies on behalf of teachers and provides aggressive legal representation for its members. See here. So I'll back off my statement that it's unlikely anybody will be fired, but if they are it will be a battle.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:19 PM

75 posts, read 118,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds View Post
Yep, keep teaching your kids to speak ebonics and give them names like Shardon'nay, Marquesha, Dontavius, etc. and see how far they get in their careers in "standard American society"......and then beotch about the results of course.
This was an attack on me! Ive had many people make this comment about my name before but did not expect to find this to happen here in Atl the Black mecca. I am curious what you think about the Census numbers and I wonder if its a consyracy tied into to the Cheating. Just to make black folks look bad.

~Markesha

Old 07-10-2011, 05:34 PM

32,033 posts, read 36,841,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
You do know the pay is the same for the whole year, correct?

Only difference, you can spread your check over 12 months instead of 10 months (pay check during summer break). A teacher contract is 180 days only.

Your pay doesn't increase to 52 weeks...
Sure. That's why I said the $59,528 for is 38 weeks. That would come to to $81,459 if the teacher worked a full calendar year, but of course they don't since they take the summer off. I know some teach summer school or work on another degree, but they can travel or just hang out if they prefer.

And of course I didn't attempt to factor in for paid days off. An APS teacher gets a minimum of 24 paid days off per year, plus sick leave or many other forms of leave if needed.

My point is not that teachers are getting rich, because they are not. However, the pay, benefits and enormous flexibility make it a pretty attractive situation for someone with a bachelor's degree. They're making good money by most people's standards. You can see how they stack up against other occupations here (and bear in mind that teachers have three months off).

I'm glad teachers are well compensated. That's as it should be.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:47 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,142,786 times
Quote:
It sounds good doesn't it? One's intuition would suspect this. A similar approach was used with bilingual education. Teach in Spanish and gradually try to learn English. But the results were disappointing. An immersive approach (English only) was tried instead and its opponents predicted it would be disastrous. But to their surprise, it worked very well and many (not sure if all) were converts.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds View Post

Re-read the post, Racist--

Atlanta Schools Cheating for A Decade

And why would I need to teach my students African American Vernacular English? What color am I again?

Old 07-10-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
It sounds good doesn't it? One's intuition would suspect this. A similar approach was used with bilingual education. Teach in Spanish and gradually try to learn English. But the results were disappointing. An immersive approach (English only) was tried instead and its opponents predicted it would be disastrous. But to their surprise, it worked very well and many (not sure if all) were converts.
It is not about teaching in AAVE (or Spanish, etc.), though that is an approach that some like (but I don't agree with).

If you read my post carefully, I said "being aware of...", not teaching in. "Being aware" can make a huge difference when teaching/learning language/dialect acquisition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta