Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2020, 09:05 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,504,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Yeah, not sure when will start that up again. She has been coming to our house for 13 years now and we went to her daughters college graduation some years back . She went through chemo last year and not sure when or if she should be back out and about and we don't want to pressure her into going back to work. We have been paying 1/2 her regular fee in the meantime, not sure what else to do. Hopefully her stimulus check makes up the difference.
That’s really kind of you, Trainwreck. You’re a good egg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 09:07 AM

11,785 posts, read 7,999,289 times
I have a job that looks like it's going to go through... same salary as IBM, only problem is this job is in Senguin. It starts remote for a few months due to the Pandemic but after that it requires onsite. I may beable to get some leeway on when I commute there as I can also work remote which will take some burden off but that's not gaurunteed. It's a 1.5 Hr / 72 mile commute and outside of my drives to Atlanta will be the longest commute I would have ever had, but a job is better than no job given the circumstances. In Atlanta & Seattle I was regularly doing 50 - 55 mile commutes to/from work, my commute distance didnt really get significantly easier until I moved here so long commutes are kind of a normality for me... but I've been spoiled by 15 - 30 minute drives to work here in Austin. Normally I wouldnt consider a commute greater than 50 miles but given the circumstances I may have to be more flexible.

I think my real goal though is to take it while looking for something closer, hopefully before the remote period ends, so I dont fall behind.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:38 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,627,381 times
It might be worth looking at some sort of renting a room down there during the week. I have some relatives that work down there and it is a real 'homey' town, for the most part, and you might be able to find an empty nester or similar looking to rent out a room. TLU will be out for the summer, at least, but not sure if it is starting up in the fall? I guess it will be.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
That’s really kind of you, Trainwreck. You’re a good egg.
Both my wife and I are pretty much financially unaffected at this point. Even paying her half we are 'ahead' (elbow grease from cleaning not withstanding). Kids are also getting a crash course in housecleaning, which is not a bad thing....we have been bad about pushing more on to them even though they are at the age they should be doing more .

Old 05-12-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Both my wife and I are pretty much financially unaffected at this point. Even paying her half we are 'ahead' (elbow grease from cleaning not withstanding). Kids are also getting a crash course in housecleaning, which is not a bad thing....we have been bad about pushing more on to them even though they are at the age they should be doing more .
We’ve been abundant with blessings throughout this disaster. Husband has worked from home since the beginning of March; I’m already retired. Our daughters (all grown) are in fields that have kept them employed and safe. My in-laws are 91 and 92 and are safely hiding out at their Fredericksburg farm. We have been very lucky and not a day goes by that we don’t reflect on that.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:11 AM

11,785 posts, read 7,999,289 times
Quote:
It might be worth looking at some sort of renting a room down there during the week. I have some relatives that work down there and it is a real 'homey' town, for the most part, and you might be able to find an empty nester or similar looking to rent out a room. TLU will be out for the summer, at least, but not sure if it is starting up in the fall? I guess it will be.
I'll look into that. I guess that's irony given in another thread I was telling a Houstanian to consider waiting for something closer but yeah

I was off by the distance it's actually 86 miles not 72. Gas being cheap helps a bit. The Camaro gets about 400 to a tank on the highway and costs about $22 - $25 to fill them with current fuel prices). Its about 860 miles per week to and from and that equates to about $60 - 65 per week...which isnt too bad.

When gas gets back to normal it will cost about $40 - $45 per fillup and that will be about $110 per week... which stands to reason as that's almost the same mileage as it takes to drive to Atlanta and almost the same cost one way as well.

@ worse case, $110 per week = approx $440 monthly plus additional wear and tear. I'd have to find a place for around $500 monthly or less for it to offset my commuting expenses. Is that possible down there?

Old 05-12-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I'll look into that. I guess that's irony given in another thread I was telling a Houstanian to consider waiting for something closer but yeah

I was off by the distance it's actually 86 miles not 72. Gas being cheap helps a bit. The Camaro gets about 400 to a tank on the highway and costs about $22 - $25 to fill them with current fuel prices). Its about 860 miles per week to and from and that equates to about $60 - 65 per week...which isnt too bad.

When gas gets back to normal it will cost about $40 - $45 per fillup and that will be about $110 per week... which stands to reason as that's almost the same mileage as it takes to drive to Atlanta and almost the same cost one way as well.

@ worse case, $110 per week = approx $440 monthly plus additional wear and tear. I'd have to find a place for around $500 monthly or less for it to offset my commuting expenses. Is that possible down there?
I don't know what the rental prices are down there, but probably not too bad. It is not a terribly 'desirable' area unless you are raising a family, but it does have a student population that probably drives rents up a bit. Caterpillar and a few other big companies are down there. I know some people down there that can hook you up on the social scene details .

I am assuming you are looking at taking 130? There would be tolls, but the speed limit is 85 or somthing.

And you can't talk about Seguin without this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gIGygRQRyI

Old 05-12-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
We’ve been abundant with blessings throughout this disaster. Husband has worked from home since the beginning of March; I’m already retired. Our daughters (all grown) are in fields that have kept them employed and safe. My in-laws are 91 and 92 and are safely hiding out at their Fredericksburg farm. We have been very lucky and not a day goes by that we don’t reflect on that.
My mom is out in FB (I assume you are talking the Texas one) and there are only minimal cases out there (3 or 4, and not from the area?) but they are really raring to get back to 'tourism', so it is a bit of a worry for me. Are your inlaws from out there? My parents retired out there some 30ish years ago.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
My mom is out in FB (I assume you are talking the Texas one) and there are only minimal cases out there (3 or 4, and not from the area?) but they are really raring to get back to 'tourism', so it is a bit of a worry for me. Are your inlaws from out there? My parents retired out there some 30ish years ago.
They’re from Austin; dad is a UT prof emeritus. They retired out to the farm full-time about 15 years ago. They are 10 miles out of Fredericksburg, right near Stonewall. They have 10 acres and are safe as kittens there.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
They’re from Austin; dad is a UT prof emeritus. They retired out to the farm full-time about 15 years ago. They are 10 miles out of Fredericksburg, right near Stonewall. They have 10 acres and are safe as kittens there.
When and what did he teach at UT? Maybe I had him .

My folks had a beautiful 'ranchette' (25 acres) out west of Willow City for many years, but alzheimers and age made it untenable and they sold and moved in closer to town. I would love to have been able to buy it from them, but the value had gotten too high and they needed the money .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin