Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2020, 03:40 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,228,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAF84 View Post
Well, we went out all weekend and did as much as we could to stimulate the local economy. Booked a hotel in the Domain area, ate out breakfast/lunch/dinner in area, and tipped generously. We wanted to compare the Austin vibe to areas further out. So we stopped at some retail in Round Rock, and then went up to Georgetown/Georgetown lake area. Definitely a more laid back vibe as you move further out. People in general seemed happier the further we moved away from the urban areas; which seems obvious since there's more space for people to breathe.

Interesting note on the Domain. So the main area had people of all age groups as well as singles/families walking around and eating at restaurants that were open. The mood was light; few face masks (except for working employees), but being respectful of space and social distancing. Meanwhile, the Whole Foods around the corner was like a morgue. People masked before exiting their vehicles. Everyone lined up like little soldiers in silence, entering one at a time. Incredible to see the contrast of the two areas within walking distance. Almost surreal. I've been to other grocery stores and retailers, but something about the vibe here was completely different. None of the other grocery stores I've visited had this vibe. Then again I haven't been to an Austin HEB since this virus thing started, only one's in the Houston area. So maybe it's a local thing?

Personally, I'm glad to see things returning to the "new normal". There's no way to see what works until we have some trial and error; and I'm thankful for those businesses on the front lines of reopening that are going to be the guinea pigs to figure this out. Sounds like travel won't resume until at least next month. My client basically says I'm not allowed to leave the state during my time off until at least June, unless I want to stay home for 14 days upon return at my cost. I imagine that is the policy for most corporate entities at the moment.

To my knowledge Grocery stores in the area are requiring masks of all patrons and several other stores. Lowes home improvement I know for sure as they had a sign at the entry doors when I was there on Friday. And I for one am very likely to tell anyone without one in such places to wear one just out of respect for humanity at large. Which I think is a great idea. by now everyone should have a mask and get used to wearing in inside any place with the public. It's simply the way it needs to be for the foreseeable future. They had to try to open the economy as this is way worse than 08/09 But people must be smart. the 25% thing is smart. Although the barbers and salons opening up tomorrow is still questionable as are the gyms on the 18th.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/06/opini...man/index.html

Last edited by Taynxtlvl; 05-07-2020 at 04:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 04:05 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
To my knowledge Grocery stores in the area are requiring masks of all patrons and several other stores. Lowes home improvement I know for sure. And I for one am very likely to tell anyone without one in such places to wear one just out of respect for humanity at large. Which I think is a great idea. by now everyone should have a mask and get used to wearing in inside any place with the public. It's simply the way it needs to be for the foreseeable future. They had to try to open the economy as this is way worse than 08/09 But people must be smart. the 25% thing is smart. Although the barbers and salons opening up tomorrow is still questionable as are the gyms on the 18th.
The HEB here is not requiring masks nor was Home Depot.

Old 05-07-2020, 05:56 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
HEB appears to have altered their process a bit - they are not quite so regulated in how you flow through the store and it looks like the produce scales are back 'in service'.

On a totally unrelated note, I am pretty sure I did not put on a single pair of socks in the month of April, and I know I have not yet in May.

Old 05-07-2020, 10:51 PM

997 posts, read 1,312,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I agree that it won't (or shouldn't) happen. I heard a rumor that they were trying to reschedule it until November, since Coachella is currently scheduled for April, and that they weren't going to announce who was playing until August. This would at least buy them some time. I've also heard that they are waiting for the city to shut it down because if that happens, their insurance will cover it.

I'm just curious why they haven't said anything. Not even something to the effect of they are waiting to see what happens. It's like they just ghosted everyone.
I think everyone is trying renegotiate agreements and there are too many unknowns. This takes time as so many parties have been impacted, from top to bottom...

Somewhat related: We live only a few miles from this amazing place, they have been forced to furlough 300+ workers. Many super large bands, including U2 and Taylor Swift, use RL for production, staging, concert production. All of this is on hold or being canceled. (TS canceled all her shows through 2020 quickly)
Just this month, Esquire did an article about them, history, and concert logistics. It's an easy read about the supporting folks behind live events.
https://www.esquire.com/entertainmen...s-bts-beyonce/

Old 05-08-2020, 02:04 AM

11,790 posts, read 7,999,289 times
I didnt take much notice of this until I traveled too/from Atlanta but paying attention to the sky or horizon, has anyone noticed that there are virtually no airplanes in the sky? No contrails either. I counted maybe 2 planes in the entire 2,000 miles I drove. It all stands to reason but it still seems super eerie.

Old 05-08-2020, 08:34 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
But man, the air quality is awesome if you look out over downtown!

Old 05-08-2020, 10:21 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Driving in on 183 from Lockhart in the 1960s, the sky would be a rich blue all the way down to the horizon.
By the 1980s there was a fairly thick layer of brown/yellowish pollution visible several degrees above that same horizon.
Makes me wonder where all those millions of tons of leaded fuel vapors went.

Old 05-08-2020, 12:02 PM

11,790 posts, read 7,999,289 times
Yeah the sky was very blue even in Atlanta, completely cloudless, they even got milder weather into the 40's that night.

Old 05-08-2020, 12:09 PM

550 posts, read 498,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT-3 View Post
I think everyone is trying renegotiate agreements and there are too many unknowns. This takes time as so many parties have been impacted, from top to bottom...

Somewhat related: We live only a few miles from this amazing place, they have been forced to furlough 300+ workers. Many super large bands, including U2 and Taylor Swift, use RL for production, staging, concert production. All of this is on hold or being canceled. (TS canceled all her shows through 2020 quickly)
Just this month, Esquire did an article about them, history, and concert logistics. It's an easy read about the supporting folks behind live events.
https://www.esquire.com/entertainmen...s-bts-beyonce/
That was a great read. Thanks for posting.

Old 05-08-2020, 12:51 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,097 times
Default Texas Dept of State Health Services

Why is it "The majority of influenza cases are not reportable by law in Texas". That seems kinda strange.

https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/IDCU/di...2019-2020.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin