Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2020, 01:48 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times

Advertisements

Just a head's up on the airline situation. A friend's MIL lives with them. She was in New York (upstate, not city) visiting family when all this went down. They were trying to fly her back home for weeks. She had at least half a dozen flights booked during that time, and every one of them were cancelled, most within 24 hours of departure. She finally got back about a week ago. So just be aware that even if you do book a flight, there is a really good chance it will be cancelled if there weren't enough tickets sold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 01:52 PM

11,790 posts, read 8,002,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Just a head's up on the airline situation. A friend's MIL lives with them. She was in New York (upstate, not city) visiting family when all this went down. They were trying to fly her back home for weeks. She had at least half a dozen flights booked during that time, and every one of them were cancelled, most within 24 hours of departure. She finally got back about a week ago. So just be aware that even if you do book a flight, there is a really good chance it will be cancelled if there weren't enough tickets sold.
Yeah I know thats why I'm not flying. Admittedly Im not exactly thrilled about going to ATL either, their situation is much worse than Austin's.

Old 04-30-2020, 10:13 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
We have now overtaken Louisiana to be #9 on the list of states with coronavirus cases.

And Abbott thinks that we are trending downward. What a crock of garbage.

Old 05-01-2020, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
We have now overtaken Louisiana to be #9 on the list of states with coronavirus cases.

Some state governors are in a rush to reopen things in efforts to prevent another great recession. Abbott admittedly is probably a bit stressed over the massive job-loss Texas has incurred over the pandemic. (In just the month between February-March we as a state lost about 49,000 jobs, Austin in particular lost about 6,900).

It's one of those f'd up situations. We're damned if we do something and damned if we don't. Wont be much to come back to if we stay shut down too long but if we try to exit it too soon we may end up causing a second and much worse wave forcing us to shut down again.

For what it's worth I try to look at more than the raw number of cases. Texas has about 3 cities significantly larger than just about any city in Lousiana and 2 more that are on par with the population of New Orleans so the case numbers isnt exactly apples to apples when the state is large enough to fit 4 Louisiana's within itself.

Old 05-01-2020, 07:24 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post

To be fair, though, cases per 1k or per million are more relevant. And it is still TESTED cases, actually cases are unknown.

Old 05-01-2020, 07:45 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,097 times
Well, you could hear those jumping the gun on the stay at home order last night. Back to noise, cars, trucks, back-firing jalopies, stereos on wheels. Earth movers, bull-dozers, more sirens. The sounds of night. I have to admit I have truly enjoyed the quiet of these past weeks...especially at night. It made for some good sleep. I'm sorry for all the sorrow and loss we're all feeling, some more than others who have lost loved ones but I'm also selfishly wishing we would never go back to "normal".

Old 05-01-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Well, you could hear those jumping the gun on the stay at home order last night. Back to noise, cars, trucks, back-firing jalopies, stereos on wheels. Earth movers, bull-dozers, more sirens. The sounds of night. I have to admit I have truly enjoyed the quiet of these past weeks...especially at night. It made for some good sleep. I'm sorry for all the sorrow and loss we're all feeling, some more than others who have lost loved ones but I'm also selfishly wishing we would never go back to "normal".
It's not going to immediately go back to normal. It's going to be a very slow and long transition.

Old 05-01-2020, 10:16 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Some state governors are in a rush to reopen things in efforts to prevent another great recession. Abbott admittedly is probably a bit stressed over the massive job-loss Texas has incurred over the pandemic. (In just the month between February-March we as a state lost about 49,000 jobs, Austin in particular lost about 6,900).

It's one of those f'd up situations. We're damned if we do something and damned if we don't. Wont be much to come back to if we stay shut down too long but if we try to exit it too soon we may end up causing a second and much worse wave forcing us to shut down again.

For what it's worth I try to look at more than the raw number of cases. Texas has about 3 cities significantly larger than just about any city in Lousiana and 2 more that are on par with the population of New Orleans so the case numbers isnt exactly apples to apples when the state is large enough to fit 4 Louisiana's within itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
To be fair, though, cases per 1k or per million are more relevant. And it is still TESTED cases, actually cases are unknown.
I understand the predicament and I do feel badly about the losses. And yes, cases per X are more important.

But what is repugnant is how this has turned into yet another political tit for tat/partisan crap. The reopenings are seemingly mostly party line driven when it should be people driven. We are not trending downward at all, even if you factor in cases per X. That number is also going up.

Old 05-02-2020, 07:36 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,097 times
Default this is more stupid...

Anyway, instead of starting another thread here is a page about testing:
https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/...01e8b9cafc8b83

Last edited by Ibginnie; 05-02-2020 at 09:19 PM..

Old 05-03-2020, 11:51 AM

Hey CarnivalGal, I dont know if you managed to get through to TWC but they have apparently contracted an agency to help them assist with volume. Try calling (877) 915-6400 - it reaches them directly .. I called today, no busy signal and it immediately puts you in queue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin