Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2020, 07:23 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,504,883 times

Advertisements

We’re thrilled to see things reopening and hold no ill will whatsoever toward those getting out and LIVING.

We’ve opted to stay home for another month or so. We’re not youngens, and I have two brand new prosthetic knees to tend to. We’ve done just fine now since March 7. We have a couple acres and chickens and a monster garden to tend to. We also bought two ebikes in late February (great timing!) and we’ve been tearing it up in our rural Oak Hill neighborhood. We don’t want COVID, so we’ll continue to lay low a little longer. We understand though why so many others are getting back out there. Good for them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 07:57 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Same here with the layin’ low (we are mid-70s and I am full of heart stents). We do go to the CVS once in a while, do carryout at restaurants & HEB curbside once a week, and take a drive in the country once Every two weeks. But otherwise we stay at home.

People need to get out to work & be active, but I hope they take precautions around others who may be vulnerable.

Old 05-04-2020, 08:57 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
I went out to Home Depot yesterday - I can't miss all the planting season in my garden! I am fine with a slow 'opening up', but I do wish people would still make some effort to 'distance'. There were many families at HD - mother, father, and two or three kids - wandering through the store. Younger kids just have no idea on social distancing or personal hygiene. They are touching everything, picking their nose, chewing on a pen, etc. Do you really need to bring the whole family HD?

And while HD is limiting the number of people in the store, the fact that 3/4 of them are in the garden center really doesn't help.

Old 05-04-2020, 09:18 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,504,883 times
We considered making a run up to the Bee Cave Lowe’s yesterday but we visualized exactly what Trainwreck reports from Home Depot. We’ll go today instead and hope that it’s quiet in the garden center.

We haven’t had any takeout food since the beginning of March. My GOD I miss my chickaboom enchiladas from Chuy’s, but I learned how to make a very comparable version using Austin Slow Burn queso. We’ve been eating great homemade meals and now we’re not missing restaurants quite as much.

Old 05-04-2020, 10:15 AM

181 posts, read 159,649 times
Well, we went out all weekend and did as much as we could to stimulate the local economy. Booked a hotel in the Domain area, ate out breakfast/lunch/dinner in area, and tipped generously. We wanted to compare the Austin vibe to areas further out. So we stopped at some retail in Round Rock, and then went up to Georgetown/Georgetown lake area. Definitely a more laid back vibe as you move further out. People in general seemed happier the further we moved away from the urban areas; which seems obvious since there's more space for people to breathe.

Interesting note on the Domain. So the main area had people of all age groups as well as singles/families walking around and eating at restaurants that were open. The mood was light; few face masks (except for working employees), but being respectful of space and social distancing. Meanwhile, the Whole Foods around the corner was like a morgue. People masked before exiting their vehicles. Everyone lined up like little soldiers in silence, entering one at a time. Incredible to see the contrast of the two areas within walking distance. Almost surreal. I've been to other grocery stores and retailers, but something about the vibe here was completely different. None of the other grocery stores I've visited had this vibe. Then again I haven't been to an Austin HEB since this virus thing started, only one's in the Houston area. So maybe it's a local thing?

Personally, I'm glad to see things returning to the "new normal". There's no way to see what works until we have some trial and error; and I'm thankful for those businesses on the front lines of reopening that are going to be the guinea pigs to figure this out. Sounds like travel won't resume until at least next month. My client basically says I'm not allowed to leave the state during my time off until at least June, unless I want to stay home for 14 days upon return at my cost. I imagine that is the policy for most corporate entities at the moment.

Old 05-04-2020, 10:50 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
I venture out probably twice a week - primarily to nurseries, HEB, and Lowe's.

I don't feel comfortable being around a lot of people.

I also took a pay cut so I don't feel the urge to frivolously spend :/ I know it sucks to not prop up the businesses and we do buy things from time to time online, but what we need to do is save even more than before because I have been with this job less than two years. There have already been layoffs in my office.

I am actually glad that people wear masks. What the heck is so wrong about wearing a mask? It's being considerate as far as I'm concerned. I guess I'll sacrifice the vibe for a little while for safety. It's a no-brainer that public health is more important than appearance or vibes. Our HEB in RR still controls people coming into the store.

I am laying low for several reasons - one I have hypertension. Two, many people are disgusting and refuse to respect personal space and covering their mouths/washing their hands. Forget kids, adults are just as bad. How can you just cough without covering WTH??. Three - as a person of color, my demographic has been hit hard by COVID-19. So it's takeout once a week (no way could I eat out several days a week with all the salt and calories), lots of pool and garden time, and appreciating a home that we pay for but hardly get to really enjoy.

My normal consisted of working long hours, commutes, and not a great work/life balance. We have this nice house and I never enjoyed it as much as I would like. Do I want to return to that? NO. This time at home has really brought about an epiphany of sorts and put lots of things in perspective.

Plus, I'm not a people person and can be a lone wolf. Holing up with my husband and family is definitely not a life sentence. We watch more movies together, play more board games.

The one thing I do feel badly about is the local businesses taking a hit :/ While I don't break my habit of eating mostly at home, Like I said we do buy things online and such.

Last edited by riaelise; 05-04-2020 at 11:03 AM..

Old 05-04-2020, 12:05 PM

498 posts, read 571,598 times
I am a widow who is 77 yrs old. I have been at home alone since March 8th. My son brings the groceries to the garage door. No CVS, no Home Depot, no church, no senior activities, no visitors, no board games, no chatting. I exercise, I quilt, I read. Liking this?? NO!

Old 05-04-2020, 08:57 PM

11,790 posts, read 8,002,955 times
Admittedly I have been eating out as well here and there. It seems as if as long as you are respectful to social distancing, watch your hygiene (like ALWAYS wash your hands and Hand Sanitizer), use a mask, dont be stupid and go into enclosed areas full of people and stay in your car as much as possible, you should be okay.

I can't help but wonder for those who have taken pay cuts if their salaries will ever return back to normal after this is over. There was a bit of lag but I'm recieving alot less calls for jobs than I did before all this happened.

Old 05-04-2020, 11:32 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastfire View Post
I am a widow who is 77 yrs old. I have been at home alone since March 8th. My son brings the groceries to the garage door. No CVS, no Home Depot, no church, no senior activities, no visitors, no board games, no chatting. I exercise, I quilt, I read. Liking this?? NO!
I’m sorry to hear things are that way for you. My aunt is going through the same life situation in another state. We drove 1,100 miles to see her just before this thing was beginning to unfold, but it just got too dangerous for her if we had visited. So, we headed back. Camped in some very remote, wooded places, cooked all of our own meals, and sanitized the heck out of everything. But we saw some beautiful places. A last hoorah before hunkering down for all this time. I’m currently working from home, and putting in about 15 hour days at that. Exhausting. I’d have gotten all the projects done around here if not for that, but I’m very grateful for the work. I wish everyone a safe time soon to get out and back to things. Some things, I’m glad I rediscovered. Like washing aluminum foil and bread bags for freezer storage, and cooking all my home-cooked meals. Things aren’t as easy now, but a whole lot cheaper. Like a lot of people, my ‘company’ consists of the birds and squirrels in my yard. I’m about to start carrying their photos around in my wallet. Ha. I wish you the best.

Last edited by capcat; 05-04-2020 at 11:41 PM..

Old 05-05-2020, 05:11 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastfire View Post
Hang in there, you and we will be ok. ❤️
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin