Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2018, 10:15 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

Additional little trivia.. Only one driver can lay claim to being a Winston Cup, Nextel Cup and Sprint Cup Champion.. Tony Stewart.
I remember Jeff Gordon saying that not being a Sprint Cup Champ was one of his regrets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 12:21 PM

17,593 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I remember Jeff Gordon saying that not being a Sprint Cup Champ was one of his regrets.

His regret should really be that after 1998.. He really never had the same career.

Look.. 1995 and 1997 were fine years.. He probably SHOULD have been champion in 1996, but Terry had a really solid year.

1998.. I'd be shocked if we ever see another season like that. That was domination. he was light years ahead of everyone else.

But.. In '99 Evernham left and.. The magic was gone. Sure he won a championship with Loomis.. But that was kinda a down year from everyone.. And.. I don't want to say he never sniffed a championship again.. Because he did. He was still considered a threat each and every week.. Would have won a couple more championships under the old format.. But.. The chase was almost designed to hurt Gordon.. 1998 was the only year he finished strong. Other years, he did just enough to win the championship in the last race or two.

Now.. Was that planned? Possibly.. But.. The fact that he was never really a factor in the chase other than 2 years ('04 and '15).. And I mean planned in '95 and '97 to finish just where he needed to in order to clinch.. Not that the chase was planned to hurt Gordon..

Gordon's career can basically be broken up in two areas.. Evernham and post-Evernham. He was still a top-tier driver without Ray, but he was nowhere near as good as he was with Ray.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:53 PM

5,215 posts, read 6,147,251 times
He still was a pretty consistent top ten finisher those closing years of his career!

https://www.racing-reference.info/driver/Jeff_Gordon

Old 09-05-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
He still was a pretty consistent top ten finisher those closing years of his career!

https://www.racing-reference.info/driver/Jeff_Gordon

Again.. Don't take it the wrong way here. I am in NO way saying that he was a bad driver after 1999 or anything like that. But, look at those stats.. There's a huge difference between 1995 and 1999 and afterwards. He never ran that good again.

He had good years, but not dominating years.

Old 09-05-2018, 04:43 PM

5,215 posts, read 6,147,251 times
Quote:
Again.. Don't take it the wrong way here. I am in NO way saying that he was a bad driver after 1999 or anything like that. But, look at those stats.. There's a huge difference between 1995 and 1999 and afterwards. He never ran that good again.

He had good years, but not dominating years.
I know, top ten finishes don't get the prize.

Boy, looking up those stats I saw some pictures of those early years.........he looked like a little kid

Old 09-05-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I know, top ten finishes don't get the prize.

Boy, looking up those stats I saw some pictures of those early years.........he looked like a little kid

Oh, the mustache.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:00 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
So last year's Blech-yard 400 attendance was a laughably pathetic 35,000 (which means the track was 90% empty).

In an attempt to artificially pump up what is typically the single-most overhyped and boring race of the year they moved it to the last race of the "regular season." In typical derp fashion, they scheduled it on NFL opening weekend, and the Colts are playing at home an hour before the race starts. NASCAR's brain(less) trust hard at work.

Old 09-08-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
So last year's Blech-yard 400 attendance was a laughably pathetic 35,000 (which means the track was 90% empty).

In an attempt to artificially pump up what is typically the single-most overhyped and boring race of the year they moved it to the last race of the "regular season." In typical derp fashion, they scheduled it on NFL opening weekend, and the Colts are playing at home an hour before the race starts. NASCAR's brain(less) trust hard at work.

The NASCAR schedule was released well before the NFL schedule.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:21 AM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
Quote:
The NASCAR schedule was released well before the NFL schedule.
Yes, but for as long as I can recall the NFL season has always started the weekend after Labor Day. They knew that well in advance yet they still put this race up against it.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 09-08-2018 at 10:36 AM..

Old 09-08-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Yes, but for as long as I can recall the NFL season has always started the weekend after Labor Day. They knew that well in advance yet they still put this race up against it.

So.. Don't schedule races in Indy, Charlotte, Vegas (next year), Texas, Phoenix, Miami or Kansas on Sundays? And.. We could probably toss Richmond (Washington), Talladega (Atlanta) and Dover (Baltimore) in there as well. The only race that doesn't have a reasonably close NFL team is Martinsville. but Charlotte is only 2 hours from there.

Those are all the race weekends that could possibly conflict with the NFL. This year, Indy and Kansas City (10/21) have races and football games on the same day.

And.. Looks like Indy won't be a conflict as the football game will go on, while it appears the race will be postponed until Monday.. Which means really crappy attendance.

I think the NFL does their best to avoid situations like this.. It hurts them as well. Most of the race weekends the NFL team in that city has a bye that week. which is what makes me think the NFL is conscious of the NASCAR schedule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing