Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2011, 05:36 PM

773 posts, read 2,631,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
With the manual tranny you have the option of rolling down a hill.
Good luck finding a hill in Chicago.

Quote:
If your battery goes dead in a car with an automatic transmission you are screwed.
Ever hear of jumper cables?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 06:43 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,868,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
Good luck finding a hill in Chicago.

You have just pointed out the difference between city dwellers and country dwellers. In Chicago you don't have hills but plenty of neighbors with jumper cables. In my part of the world I have a hill closer than a neighbor. Differ'nt strokes. . . .

GL2

Old 08-10-2011, 10:29 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
BMWs. Even mine is a lifetime fill (and it's at 185k miles now). My '01 Range Rover was the same, and I'm sure the new ones are, too. They don't even have dipsticks to check.
A 2009 and later BMW?

Old 08-10-2011, 10:38 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
You are missing out on a lot of enjoyable cars, then. But, that's your choice.

I'm sure there are.
All depends on what it's enjoyable to you. For example, if you prefer enjoyable cars with automatic transmissions, there are plenty out there that should make you happy. But some of us like enjoyable cars (and trucks) with manual transmissions.

That's why some of the the most expensive automobiles in the world are built with manual transmissions, while others are built with automatic ones. The same can be said about regular automobiles, except that in the US most people buy cars only with automatic transmissions.

This one would be an enjoyable car to me-if I had the money, that is
http://www.thesupercars.org/bugatti/bugatti-veyron/

Last edited by RayinAK; 08-10-2011 at 10:48 PM..

Old 08-11-2011, 12:57 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
All depends on what it's enjoyable to you. For example, if you prefer enjoyable cars with automatic transmissions, there are plenty out there that should make you happy. But some of us like enjoyable cars (and trucks) with manual transmissions.

That's why some of the the most expensive automobiles in the world are built with manual transmissions, while others are built with automatic ones. The same can be said about regular automobiles, except that in the US most people buy cars only with automatic transmissions.
You would agree, though, that there are enjoyable cars with automatic transmissions? And I did say that one of my favorite cars is a '69 Plymouth Road Runner 440-6 bbl with 4.10 axle ratio and 4-speed manual transmission.

Quote:
This one would be an enjoyable car to me-if I had the money, that is
Bugatti Veyron Pictures, Specs, Price, Engine & Top Speed
I won't be fighting you over that. I don't care for the styling and they are ridiculously overpriced. I would be much more satisfied with a '60s American muscle car.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:00 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
A 2009 and later BMW?
Why does it matter if there are cars from 2009 and later which need the automatic transmission fluid changed? First, it's not a major job and second it's no different from timing belts which need to be changed every 60,000 or so miles.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:42 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
I don't understand why it's so hard for two particular posters in this forum to undertand that it's just not enjoyable for some people to step on a gas pedal and point the front wheels in some given direction and they want more driver involvement. If you two like automatics, great. Notice most manual-transmission fans don't argue the point ad nauseum. You might take a cue from them.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:22 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,177,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
Which require another car with a willing owner to work. And if your starter breaks, you're really screwed with an automatic. No jumper cables will get that puppy running.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:44 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
A 2009 and later BMW?
Most likely, if they've been doing it this long. They don't even have oil dipsticks on the new ones.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:49 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
Which require another car with a willing owner to work. And if your starter breaks, you're really screwed with an automatic. No jumper cables will get that puppy running.
I haven't had to push start a car since I was a poor high school student. Maintain your cars properly and you generally don't HAVE these issues. And if a starter breaks, I have AAA to get it home where I can fix it (though I haven't had a starter break on me, I've bought cars that had bad starters on them when I got them, like my dually).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive