Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 11:18 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,708,073 times

Advertisements

Perhaps Math, but you know I don't put a lot of stock in regular season encounters. The playoff lights are a completely different kettle of fish, and I have my doubts about whether this team can essentially go from no wins all the way to the finals. That's a HUGE step. Not saying it's impossible, and in fact it makes for a really good story. I'm just saying I don't take their regular season record against the elite clubs as a sure-fire method of saying they'd beat Boston in a 7 game series.

Personally I think a Bulls-Thunder series would be both unexpected and quite a pleasant surprise, seeing as most people had one of 3 teams.... Lakers, Heat, Celtics.... winning it all. Having been a 90's Bulls follower( more accurately, a HUGE Jordan-Pippen fan) the nostalgic side of me smiles seeing the Bulls' rise to prominence again. But.... I'm through making predictions. I just want the playoffs to start and the talking to stop.

Oh, and your point about the Bulls record against those elite teams, if not proof that the Bulls are ready for the finals, at the least makes an excellent case for Rose to be MVP. Which, at this point, seems to be in the bag anyways....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 11:41 AM

78,426 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Perhaps Math, but you know I don't put a lot of stock in regular season encounters. The playoff lights are a completely different kettle of fish, and I have my doubts about whether this team can essentially go from no wins all the way to the finals. That's a HUGE step. Not saying it's impossible, and in fact it makes for a really good story. I'm just saying I don't take their regular season record against the elite clubs as a sure-fire method of saying they'd beat Boston in a 7 game series.

Personally I think a Bulls-Thunder series would be both unexpected and quite a pleasant surprise, seeing as most people had one of 3 teams.... Lakers, Heat, Celtics.... winning it all. Having been a 90's Bulls follower( more accurately, a HUGE Jordan-Pippen fan) the nostalgic side of me smiles seeing the Bulls' rise to prominence again. But.... I'm through making predictions. I just want the playoffs to start and the talking to stop.

Oh, and your point about the Bulls record against those elite teams, if not proof that the Bulls are ready for the finals, at the least makes an excellent case for Rose to be MVP. Which, at this point, seems to be in the bag anyways....
MVP is in the bag.

We will have to agree to disagree about the Bulls vs. Celtics. If you watched the game last night you could see the Bulls had zero fear of the Celtics and asserted themselves physically.

Again, I'm not saying regular season record puffed up on meaningless wins....11-0 against the best in the NBA.

I think they take the ECF in 5 games.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
We will have to agree to disagree about the Bulls vs. Celtics. If you watched the game last night you could see the Bulls had zero fear of the Celtics and asserted themselves physically.
I'm not necessarily in disagreement with you. I'm just saying it would be quite a feat to go from no wins all the way to the finals. Rose is playing poised beyond his years, but we still need to remember that he's 22, and the pressure to perform in the playoffs raises several notches from the regular season. We'll see if he can handle it..bear in mind that the Bulls the past few years have operated from the standpoint of the underdog, which takes the pressure off. Should be interesting to see how they perform when they're the 'favorite'....

I did start to watch the game, actually feel asleep before the end of the 1st quarter...did catch the highlights on NBA.com though. I think trading Perkins away was a really bone-headed move, from the little comments some of the players have made, I believe they think so also.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:55 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,976,888 times
I agree with Math. I don't think the Bulls have any reason to be intimidated by the Celtics and the Perkins trade will more than likely be the Celtics down fall as its already appearing that way. I said in the beginning I had Boston to come out the East but I want the Bulls to make it and they have great potential to do so.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
I agree with Math. I don't think the Bulls have any reason to be intimidated by the Celtics and the Perkins trade will more than likely be the Celtics down fall as its already appearing that way. I said in the beginning I had Boston to come out the East but I want the Bulls to make it and they have great potential to do so.
I don't think the Celtics will get past the Heat the way they've been playing. What is scary is if the Heat pick up some solid guys in the off season as they are doing very very well with serious flaws.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:51 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,976,888 times
^^^yeah I will admit the Heat are getting hot at the right time. Its going to be interesting to see what their outcome is. I def see Miami winning the East before the Knicks.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:33 PM

No-one's suggested that the Bulls are intimidated by the Celtics. I imagine at this point they're like a shark in the water, smelling the Celtics' blood. Having said that, going off last post season I'm not ready to write them off yet, because they stumbled into the playoffs last year, and were 5 minutes from an NBA title. The only thing that has given me doubt now with regards to Boston, is the bone-headed Perkins trade. I still have no idea why they made this trade before the season ended...because whatever Ainge envisioned does not seem to be working.

Last edited by Roman77; 04-09-2011 at 03:03 PM..

Old 04-09-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
No-one's suggested that the Bulls are intimidated by the Celtics. I imagine at this point they're like a shark in the water, smelling the Celtics' blood. Having said that, going off last post season I'm not ready to write them off yet, because they stumbled into the playoffs last year, and were 5 minutes from an NBA title. The only thing that has given me doubt now with regards to Boston, is the bone-headed Perkins trade. I still have no idea why they made this trade before the season ended...because whatever Ainge envisioned does not seem to be working.
I hear ya.

I'm BOTH questioning the Celtics AND shocked at basically how dominant the Bulls have been this season.

I agree about the finals experience being a hole in their resume but they've gone...11-0 against the best down the stretch. Dang impressive.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I hear ya.

I'm BOTH questioning the Celtics AND shocked at basically how dominant the Bulls have been this season.

I agree about the finals experience being a hole in their resume but they've gone...11-0 against the best down the stretch. Dang impressive.

I guess if you think about it, this particular Bulls squad has managed some degree of continuity the past 3 years, which in the NBA means alot. The biggest addition is Boozer, but he doesn't have the type of game that will mess up team chemistry, so he's basically fit right in, and Rose has obviously improved BIGTIME. The Celtics are obviously aging, and they lost their best post defender, so I'd say they're definitely on the decline now, I really don't see them being much of a factor beyond this season. Orlando has gotten worse since the 09 finals and there's rumblings of Howard leaving, Miami essentially turned their entire roster over during the offseason, New York still needs a few pieces and to be introduced to the word 'defense'. Surprising that Chicago is 'this' good, perhaps. Not 'shocking' though...

Old 04-10-2011, 08:55 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,539,581 times
If Shaq can get healthy, it could be a 3 team race. Otherwise, it will be more likely Bulls vs. Heat in ECF. Bulls are the favorites obviously. Gotta wonder if the Knicks need a new coach besides additional pieces. He isn't exactly defensive minded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball