Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 07:20 AM

922 posts, read 1,698,844 times

Advertisements

@WojYahooNBA
(More) "In the end, David didn’t like that the players were dictating where they wanted to go," source says.

@WojYahooNBA
League source on killed deal: "...(Stern) wasn't going to let Chris Paul dictate where he wanted to go."

@WojYahooNBA
As for Dan Gilbert email obtained by Y! Sports, timestamp shows he didn't send to Stern until after 10 PM ET. Trade already had been killed.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:31 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,490,863 times
Thats interesting about the Dan Gilberts time stamp. Thats probably better for him, this would be yet another PR nightmare for him if not.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:40 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,140,593 times
Well this is messed up. I'm sure everyone would be happy to get Paul, but losing Odom and Gasol is a big loss. I really hope Paul and Howard make it a point to go to LA after next year. That way the Lakers can keep Odom and Gasol.

Howard, Gasol, Artest, Bryant, Paul. 6th man Odom.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:54 AM

922 posts, read 1,698,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
Well this is messed up. I'm sure everyone would be happy to get Paul, but losing Odom and Gasol is a big loss. I really hope Paul and Howard make it a point to go to LA after next year. That way the Lakers can keep Odom and Gasol.

Yeah deal that got killed actually hurt the Lakers some, and Howard is said to be asking for a trade to the Nets.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:54 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,758 times
Quote:

They couldn't afford it without trades. So keep dreaming.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:58 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Dwight Howard is next... Go Lakers! this wil give Kobe a chance to compete for a couple more rings now...
Bwaaahaaaahaaaaaa......yeah....maybe Orlando will trade them for Luke Walton.

Really, the Lakers have NOTHING of trade value on their team besides Kobe, CP3 and Bynum who is shaky at best. The idea that Orlando is going to fork over DH for Bynum and some crappola draft picks in the bottom half of the first round is crazy.

The Bulls for example could trade 2 starters other than Rose and throw in someone off thier crazy-deep bench too. (They have a VERY good young back-up center who would be a decent starter but they have Noah.)

Lakers fan are on crack if they think Orlando is going to do them a solid after losing Shaq to them 15 years ago too.

EDIT: I was late to the party and am caught up now. A couple KEY comments:
1) They didn't take Bynum in the trade.
2) Odom and Gasol have to be PISSSSSSSSED!

Last edited by Mathguy; 12-09-2011 at 08:40 AM..

Old 12-09-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
Kobe is "old", but I looked up the most minutes played (over 40,000).

-A lot of them are big guys. Jabbar, Moses Malone, Chamberlain, Parish, Olajuwon, Shaq.

Smaller guys like Kobe can keep going....i.e. stockton, reggie miller, kidd, gary payton at 47,000 minutes. Kareem played until 57,000 minutes, so you can't say Kobe is going to be out of gas soon.

I think he's probably in the 7th inning of his career.

LOL about Odom. He was probably the most shocked man in Los Angeles tonight.
Kobe can no longer exert himself fully at both the defensive and offensive ends of the court to cover for the holes the Lakers have. It was very very obvious in the playoffs last year.

Kobe is still an excellent player and the argument isn't that he's on the verge of retiring and only worth 20minutes a game.....it's that he is past his peak and is currently about 90% of what he once was and it's not getting better.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Bigmen tend to peak at or around 30, in recent history Shaq peaked at 28-29, Duncan and Garnett same, Hakeem peaked at 31, Ewing around 29-30, David Robinson at 30. Since a guards game is more dependent on speed and quickness, most guards will peak younger and will have to alter their games, if possible, in order to remain effective. By 32, the typical guard begins to show the effects of time by way of decreased athletic explosion/ quickness/ speed. A few can compensate for it by reinventing themselves( Jordan in the second three peat, Kobe now), deadeye shooters like Reggie or Ray Allen can remain effective as shooting isn't diminished with age, Stockton and Kidd were and are more cerebral talents whose games were not solely dependent on speed, allowing them to be effective in old basketball age. A classic example of a guard whose entire game was based on quickness and/ or athleticism, quickly falling off by 32-33? Allen Iverson, Vince Carter spring to mind immediately....

Kobe still has the extremely high skill level to be effective now, but I do feel the passage of time has eroded his ability to carry the Lakers without significant help like a Chris Paul or a Dwight Howard on the squad. He was clearly deadlegged by the end of last season, and let's no forget the myriad of injuries he has played through. Which is to his credit, but may not have done himself any favors as he approaches mid 30's. We'll see how much he's got left in the tank, if he can raise his game to 'that' level when the Lakers need it most.
Jordan's "peak" was extended because he had Pippen to be the defensive stopper and he often spent most of the night not having to chase the #1 offensive threat like Kobe has to.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:

Old 12-09-2011, 09:00 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times
Even if the deal goes forward, CP3 has knee issues, so the question is can he stay health. Kobe has 16 years in the league, does he have any gas left in the tank?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball