Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 12:34 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,896,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
My top interests in the off-season are:
1) Laker trades
2) Dwight Howard
3) How rose is rehabbing
I think you secretly have a Lakers foam finger at home...

It's ok, tell the world you are a Lakers fan!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 01:18 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,140,593 times
The Lakers are within grasp of being the best, so perhaps a trade is what will put them over the top. Won't see Kobe/Bynum/Paul though which might've done it. Gasol/Bynum as a concept is great though, but chemistry really isn't there. Kobe also needs to defer some more to Bynum, but that means Bynum needs to be consistent. As far as there being trades, who knows what will happen. I think I would immediately recruit the likes of Hakeem to come in and work with Bynum AND Gasol to see if a collective improvement can be made first.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:44 AM

78,426 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
I think you secretly have a Lakers foam finger at home...

It's ok, tell the world you are a Lakers fan!!!
Nah, I'm just an NBA fan and nobody can tell me that the Lakers personnel situation isn't just fascinating as all heck. After the Odom and Fisher drama this past year...and the Gasol girlfriend thing....and Kobe blaming Bynum and Gasol through the playoffs....I smell the potential for a mega-trade or two and perhaps a nice blistering public feud.

I look around at OKC, Miami, Spurs and the Bulls and don't see that much will change there.

Dallas has a lot of cap space so they might make some noise.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
The Lakers are within grasp of being the best, so perhaps a trade is what will put them over the top. Won't see Kobe/Bynum/Paul though which might've done it. Gasol/Bynum as a concept is great though, but chemistry really isn't there. Kobe also needs to defer some more to Bynum, but that means Bynum needs to be consistent. As far as there being trades, who knows what will happen. I think I would immediately recruit the likes of Hakeem to come in and work with Bynum AND Gasol to see if a collective improvement can be made first.
Kobe Bryant 2011-12 Game Log | Basketball-Reference.com

Scroll down to the bottom....first 2 games of the series <40% shooting while Bynum and Gasol both averaged double-doubles.

The back-breaking loss was the game 4 collapse with a 7-8 point lead with around 6 minutes to go at home.

Go here, select Kobe and 4th quarter.... 2 of 10 shooting with 1 shot from the paint. Game over. Series over.
Oklahoma City Thunder at Los Angeles Lakers Shot Charts, May 19, 2012 | Basketball-Reference.com

The bottom line is that Kobe turns 34 very soon and he has aged. He is shooting too much at low percentages and often settles for just jacking up outside shots. Notice they lost the games he took 6 3-point attempts but when he took fewer outside shots he got lots of FT's which is what won them game 3.

Basically Kobe is playing a very selfish style of ball and then blaming his teamates. 2 or 3 of the losses to OKC fall squarely on Kobe.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Nah, I'm just an NBA fan and nobody can tell me that the Lakers personnel situation isn't just fascinating as all heck. After the Odom and Fisher drama this past year...and the Gasol girlfriend thing....and Kobe blaming Bynum and Gasol through the playoffs....I smell the potential for a mega-trade or two and perhaps a nice blistering public feud.

I look around at OKC, Miami, Spurs and the Bulls and don't see that much will change there.

Dallas has a lot of cap space so they might make some noise.

Just giving you a hard time...

Who the hell is your team by the way? fav player?

Old 06-28-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Just giving you a hard time...

Who the hell is your team by the way? fav player?
I'm a Bulls fan. I started following the NBA around 1991 or so when my college roomates drug me into it. I then got a job in Chicago and the rest is history as they say....

My #2 team is the Spurs, largely started as the fact that I had considered going to the naval academy and was super impressed by David Robinson's character and the owner of the spurs.

Favorite player currently? Probably Dwight Howard because quite frankly....he is under-rated as defense usually is by the fan-base segment that is young and doesn't know better (yet).

It really depends on whether we are talking the player or their game. There are many greats I'd be meh about having a free dinner with and others whom I'd hang out with if they worked at 7-11 and were nobodys.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:51 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,718,740 times
Quote:
I'm a Bulls fan. I started following the NBA around 1991 or so when my college roomates drug me into it. I then got a job in Chicago and the rest is history as they say....

My #2 team is the Spurs, largely started as the fact that I had considered going to the naval academy and was super impressed by David Robinson's character and the owner of the spurs.

Favorite player currently? Probably Dwight Howard because quite frankly....he is under-rated as defense usually is by the fan-base segment that is young and doesn't know better (yet).

It really depends on whether we are talking the player or their game. There are many greats I'd be meh about having a free dinner with and others whom I'd hang out with if they worked at 7-11 and were nobodys.
I don't like the fact that you like Spurs and Bulls.

However, I like the fact that you do support the Chicago Bears.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:

Gotcha... kinda hard not to be a Bulls fan being there and all during Jordan's hay day. So that's understandable.

the Spurs as #2 is odd... But Naval Academy tie in adds some context and clarity.

Howard is good dude to have as a fav. Not sure there are many people who would choose him.

Bulls, Spurs, and Howard... interesting combo. Solid list though.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
I don't like the fact that you like Spurs and Bulls.

However, I like the fact that you do support the Chicago Bears.
I can't help it...I'm sick...lol. I used to be a white sox fan but gave up on MLB all together.

In fairness, I'm not a huge spurs fan, in fact I was rooting for OKC this year given the new franchise etc. and the fact the Spurs have had thier day in the sun.

The Bulls....sigh.....snake bit. But we shall see what the next few years bring.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:44 AM

758 posts, read 1,236,054 times
What legacy? He is done
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball