Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2013, 06:15 PM

336 posts, read 412,130 times

Advertisements

Yep getting some mixed messages from having talked to many people now about these places (not just on this forum). Someone described Ojai, Encinitas and Arcata as being completely different from eachother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 07:07 PM

8,217 posts, read 16,710,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureYogi View Post
Thank you for this extra info! Heard buses run frequently daily between Arcata and Trinidad.

Am confused about how close Ojai is to beach or not. On map it seems not very close to a beach..?? Still concerned there's not many 25-35 year-olds there either. Don't wanna have to visit Ventura constantly to find them (bus fares add up and riding the bus isn't the funnest thing to do often).

Been asking around but having a hard time getting a feel for Encinitas' culture. New Agey and crunchy just compared to really conservative San Diego? Or New Agey and crunchy as in on par with Santa Cruz? I'm looking for that Santa Cruz feeling of most people not blinking an eye when I mention crystals, manifestation, kirtans, channeling, Reiki and earth ships. That sorta vibe. Strong so-called "conscious"/"spiritual" community.
Ojai is ~ 15 miles to the beach. That's not too bad for a bike ride or a short bus ride.

If you check the CD stats median ages are Ojai 47, Ventura 36, Arcata 26, Encinitas 41. Of course there are both younger and older folks in these areas as well.

Weather will be a major factor if you don't like cold as in colder and wetter than Santa Cruz. I've surfed up in the Humboldt region and the water is very cold. The beaches while beautiful are more rugged. Consequently you will have to bundle up a lot more to enjoy them and not mind many more foggy days in general. In both Ojai and Encinitas you can spend more time in the sun and at the beach without freezing. If you're ok with colder, damper, foggier the redwood forests of NorCal can't be beat.

Is there any way you can visit first or simply do both? 5 month north followed up by 5 south? That would probably be the best way to experience them first hand. Ther's only so much you can gather from other's opinions/perspectives.

Derek

Old 01-14-2013, 07:18 PM

40 posts, read 84,434 times
I agree that Ojai, Encinitas and Arcata, from what I've seen, are very different. I'll throw this out there, take it for what its worth:

I would characterize Arcata culturally as sort of outlaw-hippie. Lots of trucks and guns and big dogs and dreadlocks. The area attracts deadheads/phish followers/jam bands, etc. Surprising number of transplants from New Jersey. Farming and growing is a major occupation. It's earthy. I would say Arcata seems less spiritual and new age-y than Santa Cruz but more than your average city. I had a friend who loved it there who was into some of the stuff you are, so it is there. Green from all the moisture.

Ojai, I have visited about 4 times over the years, didn't spend a lot of time there. It has a very posh downtown area, wealthier population, but has a long standing reputation for spiritual / new age stuff. You're right that the population is a bit older - average of mid 40's. It's 15 miles from the beach, and there's a bike trail and busses but the road between gets congested. Los Padres are right there for hiking. It's sunny and warm and beautiful but might lack the vibrancy you're looking for. I hope you can find a current resident to get better answers, or visit in person even better.

I know Encinitas only because I used to go to the north county of San Diego for surfing and fell in love with the warmer, clearer water after a lifetime of Northern Cal. and I felt at home there, coming from Santa Cruz. It has that beach town feel. I don't know what it's like culturally but MtnSurfer made it sound nice.

Good luck finding the right place.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Ojai is ~ 15 miles to the beach. That's not too bad for a bike ride or a short bus ride.
15 miles is 1.7 hr. bike ride... I already get lazy about daily 20 min. bike rides

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Ther's only so much you can gather from other's opinions/perspectives.
It's true. If I had a car or a friend who was into it I'd just roadtrip through them all. Guess I could take a bus down to Encinitas. Would really rather just skip visiting and move. Already sold my furniture. Rarin' to go.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manzanita2012 View Post
Thanks for your help!

Old 01-14-2013, 09:21 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,171,154 times
Talk about bike friendly - Arcata is the home of the Kinetic Sculpture Race once a year. Human-powered vehicles only. This is the essence of Arcata:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38Y6SwYEAYA

Old 01-15-2013, 05:18 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,153,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manzanita2012 View Post
I agree that Ojai, Encinitas and Arcata, from what I've seen, are very different. I'll throw this out there, take it for what its worth:

I would characterize Arcata culturally as sort of outlaw-hippie. Lots of trucks and guns and big dogs and dreadlocks. The area attracts deadheads/phish followers/jam bands, etc. Surprising number of transplants from New Jersey. Farming and growing is a major occupation. It's earthy. I would say Arcata seems less spiritual and new age-y than Santa Cruz but more than your average city. I had a friend who loved it there who was into some of the stuff you are, so it is there. Green from all the moisture.

Ojai, I have visited about 4 times over the years, didn't spend a lot of time there. It has a very posh downtown area, wealthier population, but has a long standing reputation for spiritual / new age stuff. You're right that the population is a bit older - average of mid 40's. It's 15 miles from the beach, and there's a bike trail and busses but the road between gets congested. Los Padres are right there for hiking. It's sunny and warm and beautiful but might lack the vibrancy you're looking for. I hope you can find a current resident to get better answers, or visit in person even better.

I know Encinitas only because I used to go to the north county of San Diego for surfing and fell in love with the warmer, clearer water after a lifetime of Northern Cal. and I felt at home there, coming from Santa Cruz. It has that beach town feel. I don't know what it's like culturally but MtnSurfer made it sound nice.

Renegade... Is the word that comes to mind for north coast communities...

Old 01-15-2013, 08:57 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,824,770 times
Good luck in Arcata, it certainly is beautiful up there. Candidly I thought it might be too wet and a bit gloomy but if the weather is changing up there then it may really be a good fit for you. Now is the time to explore so even if it doesn't pan out for you there then there is always Ojai to check out as well as San diego and even Ventura. Glad you checked back in and best wishes on your new adventure!

Old 01-15-2013, 09:28 AM

Still feeling very torn between a strong urge to move, a strong urge to stay, and a confusion about where to move if I move. This may be some sort of fear of commitment. I'll figure it out... friends are helping and I may look into locational astrology. Sigh.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:29 AM

A friend described Northern California as vibrationally "purple and spiritual" and Southern California as "orange and light."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California