Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 10:48 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,822,902 times

Advertisements

All I can say is that where ever you end it up, they will be lucky to have such an intelligent, thoughful person like you. It's stressful to make such ac hange but also fun to have options - whatever you do will be right for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 11:55 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Since you are still relatively young look at this more as an adventure, something to experience. Think of all those crazy Europeans who move to the States simply to experience a different culture and lifestyle for a season. Its not like you are signing up to live there forever. Is there a concern it would be hard to move again if you don't like it, maybe feeling stuck or something?

Derek

Old 01-15-2013, 12:21 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureYogi View Post
A friend described Northern California as vibrationally "purple and spiritual" and Southern California as "orange and light."
Which one attracts you?

My take is: If one is feeling more "inward" in a contemplative/building sort way, north is the direction, if one feel more "outward", with a need to express/productive way then south...

Of course on can find people in either state of mind north and south, but for me personally I feel quite exposed and "on stage" away from the trees.. Massage folks I am close too, tend to gravitate to water and wood for recharge/energy exchange. (of course my bias is clouding this impression...)

IMO you looking at your inner needs is the way to go for your decision, more so than "hard data"... Keep in mind what you are looking for in a future partner... What you find attractive in another person may not be what you personally need for yourself... Some times "purple" attracted people, need "orange"attracted people to bring them balance and keep them motivated or grounded... Sometimes not.. That is for you to figure out..

Indeed, where ever you go it will be that communities privilege..

Old 01-15-2013, 12:24 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Since you are still relatively young look at this more as an adventure, something to experience. Think of all those crazy Europeans who move to the States simply to experience a different culture and lifestyle for a season. Its not like you are signing up to live there forever. Is there a concern it would be hard to move again if you don't like it, maybe feeling stuck or something?

Derek
We still "kick" ourselves for not taking the opportunity when we were younger to live in Finland for a year to work... Could have done a house exchange with a co-worker...

Old 01-15-2013, 01:43 PM

115 posts, read 228,692 times
Quote:
A friend described Northern California as vibrationally "purple and spiritual" and Southern California as "orange and light."

I can definitely see this! Sorry to hear that your path is still clouded. I grew up in Southern California but never felt like I belonged there. The only place that came close for me down there was Encinitas, where my cousin lived for many years and I would often go to visit. Very spiritual and laid-back place, especially due to the Self-Realization Fellowship (which I love!). However, the place that I feel truly at home in (being similar to you in likes/passions) is Northern California/Bay Area, especially the North Bay (mostly Sonoma and Marin counties). I think you would truly love it here as well, and I encourage you to not give up looking for a good opportunity here as I believe they exist (a situation you could comfortably afford). There's just so many amazing things going on here, and it's just an hour or so from SF. The weather is awesome too...it can get foggy in the mornings in west Sonoma county (Sebastopol and west of there to the ocean), but it usually burns off by the afternoon and then it's gorgeous and sunny (in the spring and summer). Falls are warm too, and winter can be a bit cold but not unreasonable. I'd say winter averages for daytime are in the low-mid 50's, with sometimes warmer days. Nights drop down into the 30s usually. Summers are wonderful, warm but not too hot. And the landscapes are amazing! Redwood forests, open oak-covered hills, the wild Sonoma coast. The only thing is the beaches aren't really the best if you're into laying out, etc. They are often cold and the surf is deadly. Better for viewing/hiking nearby (there are some awesome hiking areas within view of the coast). Probably similar to Arcata, maybe even warmer/less wild.

I wish you the best in your search for a new place. I agree the best would be to take a road trip and visit the areas you're interested in and see which one resonates with you the most. However, I also understand the need to just move and take action. Good luck!!

Old 01-15-2013, 02:27 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times

Hooked On Humboldt - YouTube

Old 01-15-2013, 10:07 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
I think you should strongly consider Tijuana. There is a thriving community of US citizens who live in Tijuana -- either retired or working across the border in San Diego and surrounding areas.

It has just about everything on your check list.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:21 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I think you should strongly consider Tijuana. There is a thriving community of US citizens who live in Tijuana -- either retired or working across the border in San Diego and surrounding areas.

It has just about everything on your check list.
Might not be the most spiritual place. Not very orange or purple.

Friend who grew up in Silicon Valley has been going to school in Humboldt, vows to stay up there, and has a great fondness for Arcata. (No, not just for the weed)

Last edited by bigdumbgod; 01-16-2013 at 12:30 AM..

Old 01-19-2013, 11:13 PM

336 posts, read 411,725 times
Haha, that "Hooked on Humboldt" video was cute

Thank you all for the supportive and helpful comments! How nice of you all.

So I'm here on my vacation to Austin, Texas, now. Austin is really cool and really cheap rent. Maybe I'll stay here for awhile then return to Santa Cruz for summer. Those extra thoughts on Marin and Sonoma counties are interesting. I see there are great things about Arcata...but getting to be here in Austin's sunshine is making me wanna return to rain even less...and Arcata has even more rain than Santa Cruz.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:15 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Quote:
Haha, that "Hooked on Humboldt" video was cute

Thank you all for the supportive and helpful comments! How nice of you all.

So I'm here on my vacation to Austin, Texas, now. Austin is really cool and really cheap rent. Maybe I'll stay here for awhile then return to Santa Cruz for summer. Those extra thoughts on Marin and Sonoma counties are interesting. I see there are great things about Arcata...but getting to be here in Austin's sunshine is making me wanna return to rain even less...and Arcata has even more rain than Santa Cruz.
Wow, that's an interesting turn of events! It sounds a lot more affordable there. Of course the beach isn't close by. But are there are forests or nice parks near Austin? It sounds like you are enjoying the warmer weather. Its been warmer (70s) back here too along the central coast since the storm has passed. Here's a shot form today in Monterey:

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 01-20-2013 at 12:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California