Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 03:50 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureYogi View Post
Fantasyland is going pretty well for me.... cause, guess what guys, just moved into my new Austin home today. $400/month cause it's Eastside. My new housemate is very like-minded and awesome. We get along like old friends already. Speaking of friends, making some great ones here in Austin. Life is very good It'll be awesome to travel and live in other places at other times... especially now that I've gotten so many extra opinions on California, etc., but for now ahhhh I am home

If someone tells me how to attach photos I will
On the 15th you're posting from Santa Cruz and trying to make up your mind. On the 20th you're vacationing in Austin and on the 26th you're all moved-in with a housemate, even. You must travel light!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 03:51 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,718,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
On the 15th you're posting from Santa Cruz and trying to make up your mind. On the 20th you're vacationing in Austin and on the 26th you're all moved-in with a housemate, even. You must travel light!
Have suitcase, will travel.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:15 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,653,635 times
Quote:
P.S. Housesitting/caretaking was mentioned. I receive email notifications from a housesitting website with a good reputation. The best of those sites involve paying for membership and I'm hesitant to pay that right now though probably will in the future. Interesting work-exchange, etc., situations sometimes pop up on Craigslist. Being a live-in caretaker (pretty popular in Santa Cruz) can be great or very uncomfy...have heard stories.

As for Wwwoofing, it's something I've planned to do for years, but seems better to wait till I own a car and my income isn't dependent on 20+ hours/week of quiet, home-alone, high-speed wifi solitude
Sounds like you might like Sedona AZ, but you would need a car. It amazes me how grown adults will work three jobs just to rent a room in Sedona. They spend a lot of time complaining about their house mates, like minds don't always seem to get along.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:46 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,452,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Classic!! Just classic...... Now you are passing judgment on people you do not even know?....

Sure "a lot of Americanized new age thinking is just fluff" I agree with that!

However much of holistic healing and eastern medicine is not fluff from my perspective... Western medicine treats everything with a giant hammer.. Massive overkill, throwing the body out of harmony and balance....

Believe as you wish... Those of us that have learned to master allergies without drugs, will continue to do so... It is all in the mental control of the histamines... Good emotional health is required to have the ability to do so... When one is "off" they are susceptible... Simple really...

I will leave you with this... The tighter you squeeze the sand in your hand trying to contain it the faster it will run out.....
Wow just wow! You and the OP are passing judgment on those who have allergies as if you guys have something special than those who suffer allergies. Your New Age beliefs don't trump the science of genetics and immunology.

Not all allergy control is mind over matter. When I suffered the allergies in Austin I did not take medicine. Good ole neti pot worked just fine for me! Interesting I have lived in Houston, Austin, Dallas and now the Bay Area and the only place I have ever suffered allergies was in Austin due to the cedar that 70% of people who move there will develop allergies to...very interesting ya think Not really it's just plain and simple genetics.

But go on passing judgment on those who understand the science behind the immune system and how it functions vs. the New Ager Fluff

I will leave you with this. When you think you have it all figured out you can't learn any more And you know what they say about assuming.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:01 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,411,119 times
Quote:
Fantasyland is going pretty well for me.... cause, guess what guys, just moved into my new Austin home today. $400/month cause it's Eastside. My new housemate is very like-minded and awesome. We get along like old friends already. Speaking of friends, making some great ones here in Austin. Life is very good It'll be awesome to travel and live in other places at other times... especially now that I've gotten so many extra opinions on California, etc., but for now ahhhh I am home

If someone tells me how to attach photos I will
It was just the "beachy" part that you brought up that seemed so unrealistic. I rented a room in that environment before and it was $800 in a nearly ocean front house in Ventura. But Austin is a pretty cool place too and much cheaper.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:03 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,153,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post

But go on passing judgment on those who understand the science behind the immune system and how it functions vs. the New Ager Fluff
Passing judgment...????

I see no need to find something to blame here or pass judgment... Passing judgment is so black and white, my personal preference is to attempt to see as many of the infinite shades of grey that I can...

To find solutions, I find looking internally to be the way to go.... I have a long list of flaws and weaknesses myself.... I am not perfect far far far from it.... My emotional root is frequently out of kilter...... I surely do not walk around in a zen state of mind 24x7.... It is not for me to pass judgement on those that have not had been able to master allergies..

So, you are grounded in western science of medicine?. Western medicine has done well focusing on physical/mechanical solutions to ailments indeed... While holistic/eastern medicine tends to focus on the mental/internal side of the equation... (Funny calling it "new age" when it has been around for thousands of years before western medicine)...

Do we need to have a winner and a looser? Is it not better to embrace that there is more than on medicinal philosophy on this planet?... Each having their own strengths and weaknesses.

_----------------------------------------------------

(Sorry for the tangent...)

Old 01-28-2013, 09:55 AM

880 posts, read 1,416,079 times
Quote:
Passing judgment...????

I see no need to find something to blame here or pass judgment... Passing judgment is so black and white, my personal preference is to attempt to see as many of the infinite shades of grey that I can...

To find solutions, I find looking internally to be the way to go.... I have a long list of flaws and weaknesses myself.... I am not perfect far far far from it.... My emotional root is frequently out of kilter...... I surely do not walk around in a zen state of mind 24x7.... It is not for me to pass judgement on those that have not had been able to master allergies..

So, you are grounded in western science of medicine?. Western medicine has done well focusing on physical/mechanical solutions to ailments indeed... While holistic/eastern medicine tends to focus on the mental/internal side of the equation... (Funny calling it "new age" when it has been around for thousands of years before western medicine)...

Do we need to have a winner and a looser? Is it not better to embrace that there is more than on medicinal philosophy on this planet?... Each having their own strengths and weaknesses.

_----------------------------------------------------

(Sorry for the tangent...)
Well the thread included "New Age"

The wise choice is not one or the other but both, with natural herbs and food cures as well. None can address all the problems we have, even in CA ( To keep on topic)

Old 01-28-2013, 12:13 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,452,629 times
Quote:

So, you are grounded in western science of medicine?. Western medicine has done well focusing on physical/mechanical solutions to ailments indeed... While holistic/eastern medicine tends to focus on the mental/internal side of the equation... (Funny calling it "new age" when it has been around for thousands of years before western medicine)
No I am not grounded in Western Medicine. And as far as the science is concerned it is the same science that is all over the planet not just the West. If you read post 147 and you will clearly see that I am not grounded in Western Medicine. I used a neti pot in Austin. It is not New Age and yes it is an ancient Eastern practice.

I certainly believe in mind over matter. However this discussion was about the OP making a blanket statement about people who suffer allergies which was total hog wash. She clearly has zero understanding of the workings of the immune system. BTW immunology has been around much longer than New Age thinking.

On that topic both Eastern and Western medicine has been around long before the Western New Age Movement. I used to be attracted to New Age thinking but there is too much silly fluff that ruins it for me. New Age - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I think you are confusing New Age with Eastern Traditions

You have not mastered controlling cedar allergies. According to your post you claimed that you could smell them and that now you can't after a lifetime of exposure to them. There is nothing even remotely resembling mind control in this situation. You have acclimated to the cedar smell since you have had a lifetime of contact with them. Nothing magical there.

There definitely are situations in which a person can be exposed over a long period of time to a low dose of an allergen, and it does tend to decrease (or completely abate) the bodies allergic response to that allergen. This is called allergen immunotherapy, or desensitization.

Namaste

Old 01-28-2013, 03:23 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,171,154 times
Prescription Nasonex will completely control all symptoms of hayfever, as it has for my brother and me. Before that, he tried years of homeopathic remedies and magic wands without result.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:36 AM

336 posts, read 412,130 times
Haha, interesting allergy debate, guys! I don't feel like adding to it right now (very busy) but for now enjoyed reading the different perspectives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I felt SO drawn to move that I sold, gifted, recycled or trashed almost all my belongings. Stored a few grocery bags full of stuff at a good friend's house in Silicon Valley and hopped on the plane with 1 suitcase, 1 backpack and 1 carry-on. Ahhhhh yes feels great being light. Though there will be rebuying of some stuff needed at some point, like bike, guitar, massage table, eventually furniture. The purging felt awesome and appropriate though...recommended
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California