Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 07:24 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,733,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureYogi View Post
If someone tells me how to attach photos I will
Quote:
...laying out by the pool with new friends in a bikini here is feeling soooo good...
Wooo. Hold those thoughts while I speed-learn how to attach photos and...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 02:28 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,466,408 times
Quote:
We're all special
Of course we are

Old 01-27-2013, 07:02 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,159,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Of course we are
Interesting being you are...

As with every other word in the woefully inadequate English language, multiple meanings can be had.....

Those of us who "try to put a New Age Twist" (Which is not new age at all!) on ailments such as allergies, do indeed feel we are all "special"...

THIS "specialness" is the potential all of us have, we dedicate a great portion of our lives to unlocking this gift from within ..... I am really trying to remain PC here, and not get all spiritual with philosophy outside of the realm of popular western Abrahamic belief systems... So I will leave it at that... Simply clarifying.. OM

Last edited by TrueTimbers; 01-27-2013 at 07:59 AM..

Old 01-27-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
Well, as we're a nation of classical liberals, just about anywhere should work unless you're the thin-skinned type that is terrified of those who have different opinions than yours.
It is nice to be around like minded folks though..!

At nearly 50 I find myself moving with "birds of a feather, flock together" mindset being in my top 5 priorities.

I am not terrified of those with different opinion... Simply feel life is too short to be bogged down by the need to fake it or take the time and energy to explain/debate/defend ones philosophy..(Not talking politics here, more root or core belief systems..)

Last edited by TrueTimbers; 01-27-2013 at 08:03 AM..

Old 01-27-2013, 01:56 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Interesting being you are...

As with every other word in the woefully inadequate English language, multiple meanings can be had.....

Those of us who "try to put a New Age Twist" (Which is not new age at all!) on ailments such as allergies, do indeed feel we are all "special"...

THIS "specialness" is the potential all of us have, we dedicate a great portion of our lives to unlocking this gift from within ..... I am really trying to remain PC here, and not get all spiritual with philosophy outside of the realm of popular western Abrahamic belief systems... So I will leave it at that... Simply clarifying.. OM
Interesting that neither one of you will answer my question about receiving an incompatible blood type during a transfusion.

Here I will ask it again:

Let me ask you this. If you receive the wrong blood type while being transfused blood and your body unleashes a massive attack on the foreign antigens on the donor red cells is this due to an emotional root cause? Not hardly.

You both obviously don't understand the immune system or how it functions. Do you think that your body would not unleash an immune response if you were given incompatible blood? Remember your childhood immunizations? Did your body produce antibodies against the antigenic determinant's due to an emotional root cause? Not hardly.

Sorry but there is nothing special about not understanding how the immune system works.

Your "specialness" does not control your immune responses.

It's all in the genes and early life exposures Discovery Health "What makes some people susceptible to allergies?"

Maybe you are confused about my being since I believe in things that some assume are "New Age" beliefs. And yes I am a very interesting being that does not believe in the fluff

Old 01-27-2013, 02:30 PM

8,223 posts, read 16,750,447 times
Quote:
Interesting that neither one of you will answer my question about receiving an incompatible blood type during a transfusion.

Here I will ask it again:

Let me ask you this. If you receive the wrong blood type while being transfused blood and your body unleashes a massive attack on the foreign antigens on the donor red cells is this due to an emotional root cause? Not hardly.

You both obviously don't understand the immune system or how it functions. Do you think that your body would not unleash an immune response if you were given incompatible blood? Remember your childhood immunizations? Did your body produce antibodies against the antigenic determinant's due to an emotional root cause?

Sorry but there is nothing special about not understanding how the immune system works.

Your "specialness" does not control your immune responses.

It's all in the genes and early life exposures Discovery Health "What makes some people susceptible to allergies?"
We are going far afield from the original question here, so sorry NatureYogi!

That said I'll give my 2c. I have to agree with TVC15, at least to a point. There are many things the mind or emotions have no control over as evidenced by the human condition. We all get sick and die eventually. So no one is *that* special or spiritual including all yogis and religious leaders. Nothing changes the fact that we are mortal men and women.

However there is research to support how one's emotional and mental status actually effects their overall health. There have been studies showing the benefits of laughter for example as well as companionship. Stress has conversely been shown to increase the risk of all kinds of diseases and illness. So its not all just wishful thinking based on pseudoscience. Though fanciful notions can and do go wildly too far with it, the mind, body and soul are all interconnected. Western society has tended to separate and compartmentalize these in the past while many other societies as well as New (Old) Agers have attempted to focus on the whole person.

Over decades one (Western civilization) has begun to see the benefits the other touts, at least partially, including eating more naturally and healthy. Prayer and meditation have been shown to be good for one's health.

"Rigid scientific studies published in western medical journals have shown that prayer and meditation can improve outcomes in very sick patients." -- Meditation and prayer are good for your health « Men Fighting Fifty

Of course we, especially on a forum such as this, are never going to agree with the finer details. Even within my own faith I don't always agree with others from a similar background. I guess my point is I'm ok with letting New Agers believe allergies are all in the mind, even I don't personally hold to that. Sometimes people have to learn things through experience and then adjust their beliefs accordingly.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 01-27-2013 at 02:54 PM..

Old 01-27-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post

That said I'll give my 2c. I have to agree with TVC15, at least to a point. There are many things the mind or emotions have no control over as evidenced by the human condition. We all get sick and die eventually. So no one is *that* special or spiritual including all yogis and religious leaders. Nothing changes the fact that we are mortal man.

However there is research to support how one's emotional and mental status actually effects their overall health. There have been studies showing the benefits of laughter for example as well as companionship. Stress has conversely been shown to increase the risk of all kinds of diseases and illness. So its not all just wishful thinking based on pseudoscience. Though fanciful notions can and do gone wildly too far with it, the mind, body and soul are all interconnected. Western society has tended to separate and compartmentalize these in the past while many other societies as well as New (Old) Agers have attempted to focus on the whole person.

Over decades one (Western civilization) has begun to see the benefits the other touts, ar least partially including eating more naturally and healthy. Prayer and meditation are shown to be good for one's health.

"Rigid scientific studies published in western medical journals have shown that prayer and meditation can improve outcomes in very sick patients." -- Meditation and prayer are good for your health « Men Fighting Fifty

Of course we, especially on a forum such as this, are never going to agree with the finer details. Even within my own faith I don't always agree with others from a similar background. I guess my point is I'm ok with letting New Agers believe allergies are all in the mind, even I don't personally hold to that.

Derek
Hi Derek,

I agree with all that you have written But that was really not my point.

There is no mystery (at least to me) that your mental health can affect your entire being. And that yoga, stretching, meditation and exercise can strengthen your immune system. However I don't think the Pharmaceutical Industry and many Medical Doctors want us to know about this or even understand it for themselves. But even with a well-balanced mind body and spirit we will still suffer illness, death and even allergies in our lifetime.

The allergy statement was my focus: For someone to just throw a blanket statement out there as to why they don't suffer allergies and why others do is utter ridiculousness especially when siting the reason they give.

You don't suffer allergies because you lack having overall good mental health or you have an emotional root cause. Maybe 1% of the people do but that is about it.

You don't develop immunity due to having an emotional root cause. It is simply how the immune system responds to antigenic determinants. If it did not function this way you would be dead.

A lot of Americanized New Age thinking is just utter fluff and nonsense. I get how some can fall for it if they don't see the lack of knowledge and understanding behind it. But that does not make it right.

Last edited by TVC15; 01-27-2013 at 03:24 PM..

Old 01-27-2013, 02:56 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,733,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post

Derek
Well... NatureYogi did go far afield in moving to Austin.

So I'm sure she will be forgiving.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:18 PM

8,223 posts, read 16,750,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Well... NatureYogi did go far afield in moving to Austin.

So I'm sure she will be forgiving.
Hahaa That made for a good laugh, Senno! Very true.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
A lot of Americanized New Age thinking is just utter fluff and nonsense. I get how some can fall for it if they lack the knowledge and understanding behind it. But that does not make it right.
Classic!! Just classic...... Now you are passing judgment on people you do not even know?....

Sure "a lot of Americanized new age thinking is just fluff" I agree with that!

However much of holistic healing and eastern medicine is not fluff from my perspective... Western medicine treats everything with a giant hammer.. Massive overkill, throwing the body out of harmony and balance....

Believe as you wish... Those of us that have learned to master allergies without drugs, will continue to do so... It is all in the mental control of the histamines... Good emotional health is required to have the ability to do so... When one is "off" they are susceptible... Simple really...

I will leave you with this... The tighter you squeeze the sand in your hand trying to contain it the faster it will run out.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California