Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 01:21 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,451,680 times

Advertisements

Also check out Pedernales Falls Pedernales Falls State Park — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department

Hike up the Enchanted Rock Enchanted Rock State Natural Area — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department

And visit the Inner Space Caverns located under Interstate 35!

Inner Space Cavern. One of the best preserved caves in Texas and one of the few places where remains of prehistoric animals were unearthed

Also see the Congress Bridge Bats. Congress Avenue Bridge

And don't miss out on SXSW in March! Welcome to SXSW 2013 | SXSW 2013
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 01:36 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Also check out Barton Springs in Zilker Park Barton Springs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-22-2013, 02:31 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,153,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureYogi View Post

Like I told the others who have mentioned cedar allergies, doesn't mean I'll get 'em The emotional root of allergies is an inability to fully accept the world around us anyway and these days I'm feeling very accepting.
My observations would agree... Allergies nearly always have an emotional root... Embrace the allergen, do not recoil from it..

I work cedar on a daily basis.. I used to be able to smell it, I don't anymore. No allergies with a decade of heavy daily contact..

Anyway off subject..

I find it interesting how many "spiritual mecca's of sorts" are located in the cedars around the world.. Powerful mojo that cedar...

Old 01-22-2013, 03:15 PM

Cedar: The Plague of Trees

Cedar Fever in Austin, Texas

Texas Monthly WWW Ranch: Read Me. Texas

You have a 70% chance of this affecting you. It did not affect me until after living there for one year. And there was not one single emotional root about it.

Let me ask you this. If you receieve the wrong blood type while being transfused blood and your body unleashes a massive attack on the foreign antigens on the donor red cells is this due to an emotional root cause? Not hardly.

People who try to put a New Age twist on allergies think they are special but in reality if it does not happen to you then your just the 30% that it does not happen to.

You will find the most well grounded New Age yoga Masters who love living in Austin will still suffer from Cedar Allergies.

Search for it on the Austin fourm. It greatly affects a lot of people.

Interesting True Timbers I have never heard of Northern Wisconsin folks suffering from cedar allergies as badly as the Austenite’s do. Austin cedar must have superduper mojo.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:02 PM

699 posts, read 1,345,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Suggest in CA: Ventura, Topanga Canyon, Ojai
Out of state: Madison, WI
+1 for Ventura.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:26 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,153,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Interesting True Timbers I have never heard of Northern Wisconsin folks suffering from cedar allergies as badly as the Austenite’s do. Austin cedar must have superduper mojo.

Austin does not have any cedars.

.. Texans may call them Cedars, but they are Junipers.!.. IMO why do people get sick?... Simple, An imbalance in nature.. Greed and the desire for wealth broke the natural balance of things... Juniper is natures response to Europeans actions...

Cedars too can cause irritation to some, many find the scent pleasing and relaxing... Northern White Cedar is know as the "tree of life" and held in high regard by native peoples.. Western Red and also Incense Cedar are considered "special" trees..

Want the allergies to go away? Heal the land bring back the natural balance... Some folks in New Mexico have been doing this, bringing the land back to how it was before greedy Europeans altered it.. Guess what.. Water in streams again that have been dry for 100 years., land is productive within its capacity again, as it was before European's altered it.

Treat Mother nature with respect and she will take care of you..

I won't hijack the thread and go down the "rabbit hole" on our different viewpoints on life in general...

Peace and love..

Old 01-22-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Austin does not have any cedars.
I wonder why the word Cedar is used interchangeably with Junipers?

This is why Why Are Juniper Trees Called Cedar Trees? | eHow.com

Quote:
Treat Mother nature with respect and she will take care of you..
Agree but unfortunately humans have created a horrible relationship with Mother Nature

Quote:
I won't hijack the thread and go down the "rabbit hole" on our different viewpoints on life in general...
But you don't really know my viewpoints on life

Quote:
Peace and love..
Thanks and Peace and Love right back atcha!

About people getting sick. There are many reasons but keep in mind that we are not capable of sustaining a constant perfect balance...hence why people get sick and why people grow old and die.

Last edited by TVC15; 01-22-2013 at 07:48 PM..

Old 01-22-2013, 11:24 PM

8,217 posts, read 16,710,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureYogi View Post
Beautiful pic, Derek!

Though California is wonderful, I see what all the fuss is about Austin! Thought I'd go through withdrawal being far from the beach, but there's great lakes/creeks here and enough sun to lay out in a bikini (or naked at Hippie Hollow). People love swimming here. Big, hot dating scene. Been to two wonderful ecstatic dances so far. Very vegan-friendly. Funky little houses turned into boutiques and cafes. Somehow feels like big city and small town sorta at same time. Pretty bike-friendly. Etc. Did I mention the sun and cheaper rent? Great farmer's market with awesome live band and cute homemade art the other day.

These are the sorts of things that other places would offer to some extent... realizing I could be pretty happy in many cities... just involves finding your people, your circles... I'm already finding them here. But sun and cool hiking/water/nature are very important to me and so far this climate is really doing it for me, and liking the things that make Austin unique too. Good stuff. 95% sure I'll stay a few months or so. Would attach pics but not sure how.
Thanks re: the photo. While running on the beach yesterday I say a Grey Whale swimming only ~ 100 years off shore. So I headed over to Point Lobos in the afternoon which is a favorite spot to check them out. What a great nature show right now!

Many times when I answer questions about the places I know and enjoy in California I never hear back from the individuals. And so I wonder, did they ever move to Encinitas or Humboldt or some other place? So its nice when folks like yourself check back in and let us know how things are going. I would also be interested in hearing how you would like for instance Arcata after living in Austin for a season. And who knows, maybe Austin will be a great location for you in the long term. Enjoy your journey.

Derek

Old 01-23-2013, 01:08 AM

Montara Beach Surfs Up! This my favorite Beach in my neck of the woods.

Attachment 106514

Last edited by TVC15; 02-27-2013 at 03:42 AM..

Old 01-23-2013, 01:17 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,411,119 times
Well, as we're a nation of classical liberals, just about anywhere should work unless you're the thin-skinned type that is terrified of those who have different opinions than yours. However, given you range for the cost of a room in the kind of environment you've described, I'd have to say look into Fantasyland. $400, seriously?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California