Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 01:07 AM

336 posts, read 412,094 times

Advertisements

Beautiful pic, Derek!

Though California is wonderful, I see what all the fuss is about Austin! Thought I'd go through withdrawal being far from the beach, but there's great lakes/creeks here and enough sun to lay out in a bikini (or naked at Hippie Hollow). People love swimming here. Big, hot dating scene. Been to two wonderful ecstatic dances so far. Very vegan-friendly. Funky little houses turned into boutiques and cafes. Somehow feels like big city and small town sorta at same time. Pretty bike-friendly. Etc. Did I mention the sun and cheaper rent? Great farmer's market with awesome live band and cute homemade art the other day.

These are the sorts of things that other places would offer to some extent... realizing I could be pretty happy in many cities... just involves finding your people, your circles... I'm already finding them here. But sun and cool hiking/water/nature are very important to me and so far this climate is really doing it for me, and liking the things that make Austin unique too. Good stuff. 95% sure I'll stay a few months or so. Would attach pics but not sure how.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 02:00 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,451,680 times
Glad you like Austin. I could not stand living there.

Realize that it gets very hot there in the summer and most people (70%) developed severe allergies to the cedar.

Not trying to rain on your parade but I could not wait to move out of that Podunk city.

It's a college town with a hook-em horns mantra. I think I disliked it so much because I came from a huge world class city with world class amenities. I was in shock after moving to Austin.

You will also experience land lock after a short while. I grew up close to the coast and I never knew what land lock felt like until I moved to Austin.

However I would much rather live in Austin than Santa Cruz! I have been to Santa Cruz many times and it always seemed like a dump to me. The only thing going for it is the coast and the mountains. No offense Santa Cruz cheerleaders.

Go check out the Whole Foods at 6th and N. Lamar. Grab a bottle of wine and pick out a nice meal at any of the island counters and sit and have a nice freshly cooked meal with your wine all the while taking in the great music that they play. It is an awesome Whole Foods...but I would not expect anything less for the Star Ship store. I loved going there!

Also try the smoked TX BBQ they sell there! It is the best representation of TX BBQ!

Also don't miss out on Pappasitos for the best Tex Mex you will ever find in Austin!

Old 01-22-2013, 08:15 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureYogi View Post
Haha, that "Hooked on Humboldt" video was cute

Thank you all for the supportive and helpful comments! How nice of you all.

So I'm here on my vacation to Austin, Texas, now. Austin is really cool and really cheap rent. Maybe I'll stay here for awhile then return to Santa Cruz for summer. Those extra thoughts on Marin and Sonoma counties are interesting. I see there are great things about Arcata...but getting to be here in Austin's sunshine is making me wanna return to rain even less...and Arcata has even more rain than Santa Cruz.
While you're in the general vicinity, see if you can get to New Braunfels - originally settled by Germans with much of that culture still present - right on the imminently floatable Guadalupe River and a lovely spot altogether. Texas' answer to Solvang, CA.

http://www.city-data.com/city/New-Braunfels-Texas.html

Old 01-22-2013, 08:37 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,335,671 times
Anyone who thinks Austin has really cheap rents isn't in Austin. Rents are at an all time high because supply can't keep up with demand.

Just where in Austin are you staying Yogi?

Old 01-22-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Glad you like Austin. I could not stand living there.

Realize that it gets very hot there in the summer and most people (70%) developed severe allergies to the cedar.

Not trying to rain on your parade but I could not wait to move out of that Podunk city.

It's a college town with a hook-em horns mantra. I think I disliked it so much because I came from a huge world class city with world class amenities. I was in shock after moving to Austin.

You will also experience land lock after a short while. I grew up close to the coast and I never knew what land lock felt like until I moved to Austin.

However I would much rather live in Austin than Santa Cruz! I have been to Santa Cruz many times and it always seemed like a dump to me. The only thing going for it is the coast and the mountains. No offense Santa Cruz cheerleaders.
Thanks for your opinion but all have our perspectives and so far Santa Cruz and Austin are wonderful experiences for me

For me, the more heat and sun the better. Love it. Humans began as tropical creatures, right? I grew up in Maryland near DC and am used to "extreme." Just don't miss snow. People are bummed about the drought here though... hope we get some rain.

Like I told the others who have mentioned cedar allergies, doesn't mean I'll get 'em The emotional root of allergies is an inability to fully accept the world around us anyway and these days I'm feeling very accepting.

"Hook-em horns," eh, dunno what that means but it's fun exploring different cultures.

Spending hours in the sun at places like Deep Eddy (spring-fed outdoor pool where several of us did yoga in the grass and I ran into a bunch of fellow dancers) and Bull Creek (massage exchange with a friend by shallow water with cool rocks, moss and old tire tracks) and a great hike, I haven't felt land-locked... just very happy

I understand Santa Cruz looking "dumpy" at first glance...the touristy Boardwalk area or the beach flats, etc., and the heroin problem. But the nature and culture and negative ions and redwoods and nearby Davenport, etc., make it very special when you start digging deeper. It's also not for everyone of course... crunchy liberal artist healers probably enjoy it more than the opposite for example.

Anywhere can be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Go check out the Whole Foods at 6th and N. Lamar. Grab a bottle of wine and pick out a nice meal at any of the island counters and sit and have a nice freshly cooked meal with your wine all the while taking in the great music that they play. It is an awesome Whole Foods...but I would not expect anything less for the Star Ship store. I loved going there!

Also try the smoked TX BBQ they sell there! It is the best representation of TX BBQ!

Also don't miss out on Pappasitos for the best Tex Mex you will ever find in Austin!
I'm actually strict vegan but have already found lotsa great eatin'... and hot, friendly servers

Old 01-22-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
Anyone who thinks Austin has really cheap rents isn't in Austin. Rents are at an all time high because supply can't keep up with demand.

Just where in Austin are you staying Yogi?
Haha, you're not the first person to say that to me, and a woman said how her rent has doubled in the past 10 years here (which seems like a fairly normal thing for any city, right?).

By "cheap" I mean in a relative sense: seems to be some very decent studios or one-bedrooms for under $700/month here, whereas in Santa Cruz they seem to be all $700-1,000 at lowest (bit cheaper in Santa Cruz mountains like Felton, Boulder Creek and Bonny Doon - but I can't live there without a car). There are some exceptions in Santa Cruz here and there but it's rare and usually means having housemates, which I've decided I don't want for now.

This thread has turned into a whole travel saga, haha. If you guys (well - "y'all") want I can keep you posted. I'm checking out Austin apartments this week.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
While you're in the general vicinity, see if you can get to New Braunfels - originally settled by Germans with much of that culture still present - right on the imminently floatable Guadalupe River and a lovely spot altogether. Texas' answer to Solvang, CA.

http://www.city-data.com/city/New-Braunfels-Texas.html
"Beautiful, gorgeous area...a little better later in the year when the temperature's warm," says an Austin friend. Thank you!

Old 01-22-2013, 10:38 AM

Apartment-Quest.com guy just told me Austin studio, efficiency or 1-bedroom is only doable for me with a co-signer (bad news)... but that under $650 in a decent, safe, not-too-isolated spot is doable (good news), though not as comfy and convenient as $770+ spots of course. With no co-signer would need to room with housemates (who trust I have enough income).

Old 01-22-2013, 12:09 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,153,062 times
Quote:
Haha, you're not the first person to say that to me, and a woman said how her rent has doubled in the past 10 years here (which seems like a fairly normal thing for any city, right?).

By "cheap" I mean in a relative sense: seems to be some very decent studios or one-bedrooms for under $700/month here, whereas in Santa Cruz they seem to be all $700-1,000 at lowest (bit cheaper in Santa Cruz mountains like Felton, Boulder Creek and Bonny Doon - but I can't live there without a car). There are some exceptions in Santa Cruz here and there but it's rare and usually means having housemates, which I've decided I don't want for now.

This thread has turned into a whole travel saga, haha. If you guys (well - "y'all") want I can keep you posted. I'm checking out Austin apartments this week.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:51 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,451,680 times
Quote:
Thanks for your opinion but all have our perspectives and so far Santa Cruz and Austin are wonderful experiences for me

For me, the more heat and sun the better. Love it. Humans began as tropical creatures, right? I grew up in Maryland near DC and am used to "extreme." Just don't miss snow. People are bummed about the drought here though... hope we get some rain.
Don't get me wrong I love the TX heat! Most people who have not grown up arond that type of heat don't acclimate very well to the summers in TX. Actually I miss the TX heat! I am talking about oppressive heat in the 100-112 degree range for months on end. It never bothered me though.

Quote:
Like I told the others who have mentioned cedar allergies, doesn't mean I'll get 'em The emotional root of allergies is an inability to fully accept the world around us anyway and these days I'm feeling very accepting.
Ummm well I hate to break it to you but I actually believed it would never happen to me either. My partner never thought it would happen to him either. He does not mind where he lives so it had nothing to do with an inability to fully accept his world around him. Your reality of why people become allergic is not very logical...tell that to someone who loves living in Austin but suffers severely from the allergies they developed from the cedar.

Quote:
"Hook-em horns," eh, dunno what that means but it's fun exploring different cultures.
Just wait until UT football starts up Yes exploring other cultures is fun but Hook-em Horns mentality is not really a cultural event. But you will certainly miss out on one of the most cultural things about TX which is TX BBQ.

Quote:
Spending hours in the sun at places like Deep Eddy (spring-fed outdoor pool where several of us did yoga in the grass and I ran into a bunch of fellow dancers) and Bull Creek (massage exchange with a friend by shallow water with cool rocks, moss and old tire tracks) and a great hike, I haven't felt land-locked... just very happy
I did not feel it right away either. But if you love the ocean and living on the coast you will feel it for sure. Lakes just don't do it for me like the ocean does.

Quote:
I understand Santa Cruz looking "dumpy" at first glance...the touristy Boardwalk area or the beach flats, etc., and the heroin problem. But the nature and culture and negative ions and redwoods and nearby Davenport, etc., make it very special when you start digging deeper. It's also not for everyone of course... crunchy liberal artist healers probably enjoy it more than the opposite for example.

Anywhere can be awesome.
I have not lived in Santa Cruz so perhaps I should not have labeled it as a dump. But it always looks like one when I ride out there on my motorcycle on my way to Big Sur. I don't agree that anyplace can be awesome...I know it sounds good but it is not reality. I would not enjoy living in Bakersfield, Alabama, East Coast, and many other places that I am thankful I have never had to endure.

Quote:
I'm actually strict vegan but have already found lotsa great eatin'... and hot, friendly servers
Then you will be pleasantly surprised if you visit Whole Foods.

I am glad you have found your mecca. TX is a very intersting place that many CA's have a poor misconception about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California