Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 01:21 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,452,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
Well, as we're a nation of classical liberals, just about anywhere should work unless you're the thin-skinned type that is terrified of those who have different opinions than yours. However, given you range for the cost of a room in the kind of environment you've described, I'd have to say look into Fantasyland. $400, seriously?
Believe it or not 400$ for a room in Austin is doable. You get a lot more bang for your buck in TX.
austin rooms & shares classifieds - craigslist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 10:33 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,411,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Believe it or not 400$ for a room in Austin is doable. You get a lot more bang for your buck in TX.
austin rooms & shares classifieds - craigslist
In Austin, sure. But there goes the "beachy" part. Unless they can find something lake front at that price. But Austin doesn't appear to remotely compare to what the OP had in mind. Perhaps Astoria, OR? For the "new agey" bit, I recommend Sedona, AZ at that price, all the peyote and gazing at the stars that they can handle.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:44 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,718,971 times
Quote:
In Austin, sure. But there goes the "beachy" part. Unless they can find something lake front at that price. But Austin doesn't appear to remotely compare to what the OP had in mind. Perhaps Astoria, OR? For the "new agey" bit, I recommend Sedona, AZ at that price, all the peyote and gazing at the stars that they can handle.
Hey man, hippie chicks can change their minds.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:31 PM

699 posts, read 1,345,312 times
"Path Less Pedaled" -- the hippie nomads who sold all their stuff and are biking all over the world -- are hanging in Ventura right now:

https://www.facebook.com/pathlesspedaled

Old 01-24-2013, 01:17 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,774,511 times
Arcata area is cold and went, with lots of foggy days. It is almost next door to the regional airport that was a Navy base during WWII. It is considered by far the foggiest place in the U.S. and the Navy experimented on how to disperse fog so planes could land and take off. You could drive by it on a foggy day and could hardly see across the 101 highway. Suddenly a big whoosh sound and the fog would disappear. They would insect jellied gasoline into a trench, light it and the heat would disperse the fog. As soon as they shut off the flame, the fog would be back after the planes landed or took off. Quite some sight.

This was where the experimented to disperse fog, to be used in London area for military planes to land and take off.

It makes Santa Cruz seem like a Tropical Beach.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:45 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,171,154 times
Jeez, the fog isn't THAT bad in town. But the OP is checking out Austin now, sounds like a good place for a heat-lover.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:59 PM

336 posts, read 412,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Austin does not have any cedars.

.. Texans may call them Cedars, but they are Junipers.!.. IMO why do people get sick?... Simple, An imbalance in nature.. Greed and the desire for wealth broke the natural balance of things... Juniper is natures response to Europeans actions...

Cedars too can cause irritation to some, many find the scent pleasing and relaxing... Northern White Cedar is know as the "tree of life" and held in high regard by native peoples.. Western Red and also Incense Cedar are considered "special" trees..

Want the allergies to go away? Heal the land bring back the natural balance... Some folks in New Mexico have been doing this, bringing the land back to how it was before greedy Europeans altered it.. Guess what.. Water in streams again that have been dry for 100 years., land is productive within its capacity again, as it was before European's altered it.

Treat Mother nature with respect and she will take care of you..

I won't hijack the thread and go down the "rabbit hole" on our different viewpoints on life in general...

Peace and love..
Awesome post! Man, I love the smell of cedar

Old 01-26-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
People who try to put a New Age twist on allergies think they are special
We're all special

Old 01-26-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
given you range for the cost of a room in the kind of environment you've described, I'd have to say look into Fantasyland. $400, seriously?
Fantasyland is going pretty well for me.... cause, guess what guys, just moved into my new Austin home today. $400/month cause it's Eastside. My new housemate is very like-minded and awesome. We get along like old friends already. Speaking of friends, making some great ones here in Austin. Life is very good It'll be awesome to travel and live in other places at other times... especially now that I've gotten so many extra opinions on California, etc., but for now ahhhh I am home

If someone tells me how to attach photos I will

Old 01-26-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Arcata area....is considered by far the foggiest place in the U.S.....

It makes Santa Cruz seem like a Tropical Beach.
Phew! Arcata sounds great, but that weather is not for me right now! The sunshine of Austin and laying out by the pool with new friends in a bikini here is feeling soooo good... getting some color back, had gotten so pale! And tons of rain and fog is not a bike-friendly situation! Vitamin D is a pretty crucial component of health. Hurray for sunshine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California