Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Quebec Independence a Legitimate Movement?
Yes 147 65.04%
No 79 34.96%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 03:15 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Manners View Post
Wow coming back to this I love seeing these poll results! Je me souviens!

Yes welcome back No Manners - you haven't been with us since way back in 2015. I thought I was gone a long time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 09:38 AM

120 posts, read 71,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
All you do is bicker about QC and how they mooch off of Canada. You probably complain about any sort of autonomous laws or customs they have of their own within the union. On the other hand, you want to deny them any sort of out mechanism if they don't want a part of what you are cooking.
If someone is insulting my country and my queen without justification or rebuke then yes I will say something.

Quebec can do what they want but Im not happy about the fact that so many of them sit around humiliating Canada when they get more free handouts than anyone. Either get your independence or keep it to yourself.
It isnt fair to all the people in Quebec who dont want anything to do with this to just say sure you can be independent off of a vote of 51%. We owe it the Canadian citizens residing there to do better than that.

Even with desperate hispanic and middle eastern immigrants flooding into to the country from god knows where and the rising cost of rents and housing we still have to cowtow to the Quebecios malcontents. It gets tiresome really.

Quote:
Btw everyone I just got a rep comment for this post from someone saying "Keep Dissing on Canada, Mr American"

I'll be reporting to a mod as well...
Thats ironic because you just proclaimed that another poster named UrbanLuis becomes frustrated quite easily. You should work on getting your reps to a higher ratio like me. Apparently someone is agreeing with me.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowhound View Post
If someone is insulting my country and my queen without justification or rebuke then yes I will say something.

Quebec can do what they want but Im not happy about the fact that so many of them sit around humiliating Canada when they get more free handouts than anyone. Either get your independence or keep it to yourself.
It isnt fair to all the people in Quebec who dont want anything to do with this to just say sure you can be independent off of a vote of 51%. We owe it the Canadian citizens residing there to do better than that.

Even with desperate hispanic and middle eastern immigrants flooding into to the country from god knows where and the rising cost of rents and housing we still have to cowtow to the Quebecios malcontents. It gets tiresome really.
We are all free as Canadian Citizens to insault the country and this isn't Thailand with lèse majesté laws re the monarchy. For Canadian Citizens in QC who are not happy with life in the Province, they are free to leave it. I think given the laws that exist there, if you make a decision to live in QC, than in some way or another you are making a choice to support the Province and its policies. Those policies have been long standing so if they don't jive with your own value system, than it is certainly fundamental question one should ask - 'do I belong here'

Quote:
Thats ironic because you just proclaimed that another poster named UrbanLuis becomes frustrated quite easily. You should work on getting your reps to a higher ratio like me. Apparently someone is agreeing with me.
I've known UL in these forums for years. I don't always agree with him, politically, mostly I do not, but he is a decent guy and person. I'd have a beer with him. I don't know you - or maybe I do who knows with these forums, but I don't care about your reps to post ratio or mine for that matter. Grow up! Oh and if you are one of 'his' puppets - grow up even more!!!

Last edited by fusion2; 08-11-2019 at 10:20 AM..

Old 08-11-2019, 09:54 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
Thanks for the nice comment fusion^^. The feeling is mutual.

Old 08-11-2019, 10:46 AM

35,071 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Exactly. There are people who live in Quebec who want the rights of Canadians, not the rights that politically bigoted Quebecois choose to give them.

Old 08-11-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Exactly. There are people who live in Quebec who want the rights of Canadians, not the rights that politically bigoted Quebecois choose to give them.
But they know what they are getting if they live in QC. This isn't anything really new to them is it? If you want a Common law based legal system as opposed to Civil, presumable if you are a resident of QC you are a Canadian citizen, you have other options in the rest of Canada - like everywhere else in which to live. I like to visit QC, but given the fact that for me anyway, that Province doesn't really jive with my value system, i'd never move or live there nor am I forced to.

Last edited by fusion2; 08-11-2019 at 02:27 PM..

Old 08-11-2019, 06:37 PM

120 posts, read 71,309 times
Quote:
But they know what they are getting if they live in QC. This isn't anything really new to them is it? If you want a Common law based legal system as opposed to Civil, presumable if you are a resident of QC you are a Canadian citizen, you have other options in the rest of Canada - like everywhere else in which to live. I like to visit QC, but given the fact that for me anyway, that Province doesn't really jive with my value system, i'd never move or live there nor am I forced to.
What about those of us who had lived in Quebec for generations? Were just supposed to leave?

It wasnt fun for younger me to basically be forced out of where I grew up and called home, due to being the wrong ethnicity. One after another almost all of us left and had to start over in Ontario or BC or America or elsewhere.

Is that really what you endorse?

Old 08-11-2019, 06:58 PM

542 posts, read 503,458 times
Quote:
What about those of us who had lived in Quebec for generations? Were just supposed to leave?

It wasnt fun for younger me to basically be forced out of where I grew up and called home, due to being the wrong ethnicity. One after another almost all of us left and had to start over in Ontario or BC or America or elsewhere.

Is that really what you endorse?
Yes, there are a variety of places to live in Canada.

You have 9 out of 10 options, we have 1½ out of 10.

Once upon a time it was 5 out of 9.

Old 08-11-2019, 07:00 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post

To make you're point stronger you're omitting Yukon, NWT and Nunavut. And those are equally realistic for those with long-time roots in Quebec.

Old 08-11-2019, 07:20 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post

Another option for him would have been to learn to speak French (better) and use it on a daily basis with the millions of francophones who make up the majority of the population surrounding him. What a concept. Francophones living in places like Ontario, etc. do that all the time.

It's called... normal behaviour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada