Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2016, 02:27 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,110,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
True.

Interestingly, Sable Island is milder (and an all over better climate too).

REYKAVIK........SABLE ISLAND......TORONTO

2/-3........JAN.....3/-3........JAN.....-1/-7
3/-2........FEB.....2/-4........FEB......0/-6
3/-2........MAR....3/-2........MAR.....5/-2
6/0..........APR....7/2.........APR......12/4
9/0..........MAY....10/5.......MAY......19/10
12/7........JUN.....14/9.......JUN.......24/15
13/8........JUL......19/13.....JUL........27/18
13/8........AUG.....21/15.....AUG......26/17
10/5........SEP......19/13.....SEP.......21/13
7/2..........OCT......14/9......OCT......14/7
3/-1.........NOV......10/5.....NOV.......8/2
2/-3.........DEC......6/0.......DEC.......2/-3

I included Toronto to compare, colder winter, but warmer the rest of the year.

Look how warm Sable Island in fall, early winter, more like coastal BC.

Annual sunshine hours are....

Reykavik 1268 hours

Sable Island 1596 hours

Toronto 2066 hours
Let's colonize Sable Island!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 05:56 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,654,542 times
Hey, at least Toronto, Sable Island, and Iqaluit aren't flippin' cold like Montana, Alberta, BC, or the Yukon...

Old 02-15-2016, 06:48 PM

542 posts, read 504,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
Hey, at least Toronto, Sable Island, and Iqaluit aren't flippin' cold like Montana, Alberta, BC, or the Yukon...
I think that they are, but those all time lows aren't really indicative of typical weather in those places, and some are probably taken in the mountains (Montana). I dug up some Montana towns climate data and it looks like a similar climate to Toronto but a a little warmer and sunnier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missoula,_Montana#Climate

Old 02-15-2016, 07:31 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,597,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Toronto went down to -26.3C yesterday. My god that would shatter records here, and we are a cold part of the US. Yes, Canada is a total climate fail, besides the tiny region near Vancouver that has England type weather. Canada has not a single place warm in winter.

Are there young people in Canada that would like to up sticks and just move to a warmer climate without all the hassles of emigrating? I'm sure there are as it is a very common theme here to move to a climate you prefer. Canadians are stuck, for the most part, in very cold winter climates.

Here it is not unusual at all to meet people that have moved or are moving in the US to their fav climate. When I was in New Orleans April 2014 I met quite a few New Yorkers that chose New Orleans only for the climate. I guess that is just not a common thing in Canada given the total lack of choices. I do not envy Canada in that regard.

Canada has quite a few other things going for it, but climate is a total failure.

My region of the US is considered quite cold by the rest of the country. Here is what our coastal areas in the Mid-Atlantic look like in the dead of winter. I took these pics last weekend in Cape May NJ. What part of Ontario looks like this in winter? The coastal Mid-Atlantic looks nothing like eastern Canada in winter, despite some Canadian posters trying to equate our climate with Toronto.

I'm not sure what the heck would be green after -15F lol.

The question should be " what part of Canada looks like this is winter?"

The answer, the Lower Mainland and Victoria, except currently there are many more blossoms out in my area, not to mention crocus's, daffodils etc.

This is a photo take a week ago in a friends yard.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:54 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,957,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The question should be " what part of Canada looks like this is winter?"

The answer, the Lower Mainland and Victoria, except currently there are many more blossoms out in my area, not to mention crocus's, daffodils etc.

This is a photo take a week ago in a friends yard.

I duly noted that if you check. I said Vancouver, etc has the climate of England. England looks like that in winter as well. But really, that is a tiny part of Canada overall. I took issue with quite a few people from Toronto saying their winters were essentially the same as Philly, DC, Baltimore, etc which is just simply not true. An avg Toronto winter here would be record breaking.

Our coldest Jan ever in 1977 had a daily mean of -6.7C. The 1971-2000 Jan mean for Toronto was -6.3C. An average Jan in Toronto equals the coldest ever Jan on record for Philly. Wow. I think that pretty much explains that no, we do not have the same winter climate as Toronto. Not even close. People here consider Chicago very cold in winter, and Toronto is even colder than Chicago.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I think Zoisite used the key word Tom and its Adapt.. Whether young or old you adapt to the conditions you can't change. Weather is one of those things we can't change so we adapt. It is very common for people in Canada to

A) Get a passport
B) Go to Cuba/D.R or as Chevy does go to L.V or Florida for a week or two to get away from the winter

Would it be ideal for Canada to have somewhere warm or large areas of it to be warm, sure but I suspect that most people just adapt, accept and move on making the best of it.. Using terms like 'fail' is just silly.. It would be like me saying the U.S is a 'fail' against other western nations when it comes to gun violence and that you can't move to any large cities which have the low gun violence rates as Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver so thus the U.S is a 'fail' in that regard.. Its true but is it a way to discuss a matter in an adult fashion, I don't think so.

Anyway, Its also a matter of perspective because these sub zero temps in an average winter are a few months of the year. If it were all year i'd see why people would be going on about this stuff but a few months i'm just not getting what all the fuss is about.

Lol, we are a total fail against many other western nations in many areas. Are you kidding me. All and all, Canada is a more well run and imo more advanced society than here. I'm stuck here though, so at least I'm glad about climate. But yeah, I talk all the time about the many, and there are many, crackpot crazy things going on in this country. Canada looks far more sane from my vantage point. Just a shame about the weather.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That is because the average person is not nearly as preoccupied with the weather as the average city-data forumer seems to be.

I have to say I don't really care much about the weather outside unless I have a specific outdoor activity planned. In those cases that might mean I want it to be hot and sunny (pool party) or cold (skating party) or snowy (skiing outing)…

Today is Monday. Kids going to school. Wife and I going to work. I don't really care if it's -10 or +5.

I admit I despise super cold anomalies in winter. We in eastern North America live in probably the coldest winter location on earth given our latitude and elevation. Just about everywhere except east Asia at our latitude is warmer in winter. It is kind of depressing, but it is the geography we got stuck with. Australia has a giant ocean between it and the South Pole so it is almost impossible to get true polar weather there. Also, the whole Southern Hemisphere has a much stronger polar vortex that just spins around Antarctica and rarely ever breaks down and head into middle latitudes. So we got burned on being in the NH, and burned with our north south mountain range actually funneling cold weather down from the Arctic.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:06 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,916,714 times
Quote:
Lol, we are a total fail against many other western nations in many areas. Are you kidding me. All and all, Canada is a more well run and imo more advanced society than here. I'm stuck here though, so at least I'm glad about climate. But yeah, I talk all the time about the many, and there are many, crackpot crazy things going on in this country. Canada looks far more sane from my vantage point. Just a shame about the weather.
Hey if my partner from Venezuela can adapt to the weather here, anyone can

As for crackpot crazy - sure the U.S has its peculiarities (as all countries do) for sure but its still a great place on the whole. I'd have no issues and would make no apologies living there myself.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:46 PM

1,806 posts, read 2,235,861 times
Quote:
I duly noted that if you check. I said Vancouver, etc has the climate of England. England looks like that in winter as well. But really, that is a tiny part of Canada overall. I took issue with quite a few people from Toronto saying their winters were essentially the same as Philly, DC, Baltimore, etc which is just simply not true. An avg Toronto winter here would be record breaking.

Our coldest Jan ever in 1977 had a daily mean of -6.7C. The 1971-2000 Jan mean for Toronto was -6.3C. An average Jan in Toronto equals the coldest ever Jan on record for Philly. Wow. I think that pretty much explains that no, we do not have the same winter climate as Toronto. Not even close. People here consider Chicago very cold in winter, and Toronto is even colder than Chicago.
Sorry Tom, but your stats for Toronto's January mean are incorrect, it is -3.7c (1981-2010), it's average January low is -6.7c, so not really as big of a difference as you would like.

Also, Toronto and Chicago are pretty close temperature wise in the winter.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago

Last edited by North 42; 02-16-2016 at 02:58 PM..

Old 02-17-2016, 03:53 PM

174 posts, read 214,416 times
I grew up in northern Ontario and have also lived in Winnipeg, Toronto, and the Niagara region, but have spent the last 25 years or so of my life in Texas. At first, the summertime heat and humidity (in Houston) was almost unbearable, but I got used to it and then grew to love it. It's not good for working outside or anything like that, but is great for lounging by the pool or on the beach, playing at a waterpark, and getting a nice even tan (I know, I know, they're terribly unhealthy, but I look and feel great when I have one, and so do the girls here).

About two years ago I moved back to southern Ontario and the winter damn near killed me. I guess I've become southernized or something. While I was there I was struck by the exact thought the OP made, which was that in Canada, you really don't have any warm-all-year options (apart from flying south every winter, which isn't practical or affordable for me). I almost felt TRAPPED by that 49th parallel, and fantasized about what Canada might be like if "global warming" truly kicked-in and made the country a subtropical climate (hint: it could be pretty awesome, and the shoreline of the Great Lakes would become the new Gulf Coast or Riviera).

Anyway, I do wish Canada would buy one of the Caribbean islands, allowing Canadians to have a southern living option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada