Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 07:15 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,303,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I live in suburban MD and everyone is fine despite them all being democrats. They were pretty surprised on November 9th but then people moved on. Our economy is booming, people all over want to move here, kids playing soccer, new office buildings, metro construction, lots of Holiday decorations are coming up, things are looking good.

Indeed....

Old 12-18-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerbilzak View Post
I agree, for the elite, things are looking good. For the bottom 80%, not so much.

...ah the elite Vs. everybody else theme?? It's the same everywhere, including Canada....

I don't know any "elite", I do not hang around the elite and everybody is doing just dandy....

Old 12-18-2016, 07:27 PM

213 posts, read 227,833 times
Quote:
I think you're right that Americans dramatically underestimate the seriousness of Canada's very real issues.

Um, I don't mean to be dense, but what exactly are these "issues" you're talking about? I mean, obviously Canada isn't perfect - no place is - but things are going pretty well there. The country is one of the safest in the world, inequality is far better than in most Western countries, the health care system works well by and large, macroeconomic management is solid, the economy is recovering from the oil slump, the threat of Quebec separatism seems to have died out... I'm struggling to see what the major problems are.

Quote:
I couldn't disagree more about the uncertainty. Virtually everyone I know is living in a state of stunned disbelief and fear with what the US might become. Every new horrific person Trump appoints makes the situation worse as the hope that he'd become less extreme after the election fades.

America is certainly not finished, and it will probably end up being stronger militarily anyway. But all indications are it will be a terrible place to live (compared to Canada, anyway) for all but the most fortunate quintiles.

Yeah, US whites have basically voted to destroy the country rather than share it with nonwhites. That shouldn't have been a surprise to me - I mean, the whites abandoned the cities and let them collapse - but I naively believed the country had progressed a lot. Obviously, I was wrong.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:39 PM

869 posts, read 1,125,015 times
It wasn't hard to figure out this thread was yet another anti-Trump rant in disguise, at least this one has a fanciful Canadian component to it

I havent seen the democrats this pissed off since the republicans freed their slaves

Old 12-18-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Moonstone View Post
Um, I don't mean to be dense, but what exactly are these "issues" you're talking about? I mean, obviously Canada isn't perfect - no place is - but things are going pretty well there. The country is one of the safest in the world, inequality is far better than in most Western countries, the health care system works well by and large, macroeconomic management is solid, the economy is recovering from the oil slump, the threat of Quebec separatism seems to have died out... I'm struggling to see what the major problems are.

Everything is perfect in Canada...with a housing bubble that when (not if) will burst for good it could take the financial system down with it.....and with US interest rates on the rise, watch out.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:55 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Everything is perfect in Canada...with a housing bubble that when (not if) will burst for good it could take the financial system down with it.....and with US interest rates on the rise, watch out.
Again with the wishful thinking Saturno? Weren't we just discussing something about "desiring" negatives. Who'se doing that now?

Old 12-18-2016, 08:11 PM

701 posts, read 1,032,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
It wasn't hard to figure out this thread was yet another anti-Trump rant in disguise, at least this one has a fanciful Canadian component to it

I havent seen the democrats this pissed off since the republicans freed their slaves
This thread is not another anti-Trump rant.

The idea was to find out if Canadians found the idea of joining with the saner US states at all appealing.

Old 12-18-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Again with the wishful thinking Saturno? Weren't we just discussing something about "desiring" negatives. Who'se doing that now?
I'm not "desiring" anything, just stating the reality....hopefully I'm wrong...

Old 12-18-2016, 09:02 PM

1,147 posts, read 718,292 times
I'm not Canadian, but I wouldn't want America to join and then dominate my country. Do you really want to import the craziness?

Old 12-18-2016, 09:21 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,977 times
Quote:
This thread is not another anti-Trump rant.

The idea was to find out if Canadians found the idea of joining with the saner US states at all appealing.
My answer to that would be NO .. especially when you think those are the 'saner' states. The ONLY one I would be willing to consider adding to Canada would be Maine. And I would think that it would be more the other way round .. not Canada joining with the US but the US (parts thereof) joining Canada. That said, I don't think annexing any part of the US to Canada is a 'sane' idea anyway.

Canada, even today with its Liberal government (and that, my friends, will change again), is not really predominantly 'liberal' (yet) - though many Canadians who get all their news from the CBC who gets most of its news from the liberal MSM in the US, and young Canadians who now are being spoon fed 'liberal' stuff from kindergarten on in the school system (just like American kids), 'think' they are 'liberal' as well as Liberal. I still hope that trend will eventually be stopped but even if it doesn't, you still have to wait a few generations for the wiser ones to die off up here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada