Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2011, 05:52 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,640,452 times

Advertisements

Old 06-20-2011, 06:05 PM

315 posts, read 623,551 times
Things I hate:

- Crime
- Heat
- Bugs
- I never wanted to live in Southern South Ohio

Old 06-20-2011, 06:30 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,593,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aetcas View Post
I'd take the drivers down here to the MA, CT and NY drivers. I lived 40 years in that part of the country. Drivers here are bad at times, for sure, but they are far worse and aggressive up there, in my opinion. Of course, some of them moved down here and brought their lousy habits with them.

When I lived in Upstate SC, I rarely ever heard anyone honk their horn, but I've found it is more common here, unfortunately.
I agree with you completely! I couldn't stand the rude and inconsiderate driving in MA, never mind the rude and inconsiderate people. I grew up there and spent 40 years there and the way people drove just really got under my skin. When I went back up a couple months ago I had to get back into defensive driving mode while there. I was so happy to come back to SC! I can assure you that I did not bring back any of the lousy driving habits.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:17 PM

817 posts, read 2,004,306 times
Originally Posted by bulldogrsp61
  • People waiting until LITERALLY the last 50ft before getting into the right lane to make a right turn even though they KNEW the turn wass coming up.
  • People waiting until they are driving on the shoulder to merge even though the signage was 3/4 mile back.
  • People thinking that just because they have their turn signal on that it is YOUR responsibility to yield to them because they dont know what the triangle-shaped, red and white YIELD sign means.
  • People knowing they can get over two blocks ahead but just HAVE to get in front of that car in front of them so they slam on the gas so they can jet forward and cut people off.
  • People driving in the left lane while faster traffic has to go around them in the right lane.
  • People texting and talking on their cell phone instead of paying attention to where they are going then flipping YOU off because you honked at them when they drifted into your lane.
  • People using turning lanes as on-ramps and acceleration lanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversides View Post
You realize you're describing big city driving, any big city.....on a good day
B*I*N*G*O* ya hit it right on the head.. I second that !

Skip drawing a line as that poster said... how many states does he cover?

I have driven in 44 of the 50 states.. and it is a pleasure driving in S.C.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:31 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,941,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Rick Hiott View Post
thoughtful, yet provocative

leaving the reader to draw thier own conclusions

Old 06-20-2011, 08:41 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelNYC View Post
Originally Posted by bulldogrsp61
  • People waiting until LITERALLY the last 50ft before getting into the right lane to make a right turn even though they KNEW the turn wass coming up.
  • People waiting until they are driving on the shoulder to merge even though the signage was 3/4 mile back.
  • People thinking that just because they have their turn signal on that it is YOUR responsibility to yield to them because they dont know what the triangle-shaped, red and white YIELD sign means.
  • People knowing they can get over two blocks ahead but just HAVE to get in front of that car in front of them so they slam on the gas so they can jet forward and cut people off.
  • People driving in the left lane while faster traffic has to go around them in the right lane.
  • People texting and talking on their cell phone instead of paying attention to where they are going then flipping YOU off because you honked at them when they drifted into your lane.
  • People using turning lanes as on-ramps and acceleration lanes.

B*I*N*G*O* ya hit it right on the head.. I second that !

Skip drawing a line as that poster said... how many states does he cover?

I have driven in 44 of the 50 states.. and it is a pleasure driving in S.C.
Well I've only covered 30 .. but having lived and driven in plenty of big cities in those 30 states I'd say Ive had a fair sampling.
Drivers in this city are FAR worse than anything I've ever seen.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:06 PM

315 posts, read 623,551 times
I drive in the left lane, and do the maximum allowed speed limit. Anyone who doesn't like it can **** off. I want to go faster. You gonna pay my $200 fine? Nope. Is your desire to break the law so important that I must slow my pace to the "slow lane" and get behind an 18 wheeler? No.

Don't like me driving in the "wrong" lane? Call the cops and see what they tell you. Or better yet, follow the damn speed limit.

HOWEVER....if anyone out there drives 50 in a 70 or 65, in the left lane, while texting, get the f*** off the road.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:15 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,941,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass08 View Post
I drive in the left lane, and do the maximum allowed speed limit. Anyone who doesn't like it can **** off. I want to go faster. You gonna pay my $200 fine? Nope. Is your desire to break the law so important that I must slow my pace to the "slow lane" and get behind an 18 wheeler? No.

Don't like me driving in the "wrong" lane? Call the cops and see what they tell you. Or better yet, follow the damn speed limit.

HOWEVER....if anyone out there drives 50 in a 70 or 65, in the left lane, while texting, get the f*** off the road.
You're what Chicago drivers (not me of course, I don't live in Chicago) refer to as a moving chicane, no problem

Old 06-21-2011, 04:02 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass08 View Post

Ahh .. you're 'that guy'

Guess what ... if you are in the left lane and impeding traffic then you are absolutely supposed to move to the right lane. There's a reason DOT posts signage that reads 'SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT'. Learn to drive.

Oh ... and thank you for making my point.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:48 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogrsp61 View Post
Ahh .. you're 'that guy'

Guess what ... if you are in the left lane and impeding traffic then you are absolutely supposed to move to the right lane. There's a reason DOT posts signage that reads 'SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT'. Learn to drive.

Oh ... and thank you for making my point.

If you are in the left lane doing the speed limit and "impeding traffic" guess what......you aren't doing a thing wrong and those who have the need for speed will just have to wait.

The sign that reads "slower traffic keep right" does not mean one can speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area