Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 01:43 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,163,017 times

Advertisements

Great city, we love it, no regrets!

Great things:
- people (southern hospitality)
- weather (sunny and no extremes)
- city and sounding area (city in the park)
- driving distance to both mountains & beaches
- affordable cost of living

Who does not like it here and is overwhelmed by regrets should go back (or elsewhere). And I'm saying this in a good way, life is too short to live with regrets.
In life we tend to regret things we don't do rather then things we try out and did not like them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 03:04 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,451,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Here is another fallacy...Charlotte is NOT near the beach! 3.5 hour ride is not close to anything. Mountains , yes..., 2 hours drive..I'd call that close enough
Kings Mountain National Park is only 30 minutes away (center of uptown). Shorter than 2 hours.

Beach sure is about 3 hours away to SC beaches. You can get down in one day, enjoy the beach, and can come home same day. To me, that is close enough i.e. nearness.

Outside some areas in California, not many can do the mountains one day and then the beach the next. Just saying.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:35 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,821,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie mame View Post
I can only compare my salary here in Charlotte to N.Y. I am in the medical profession. I have worked in four medical offices in and around Charlotte. The doctors here charged much more than in N.Y. and booked more patients, yet my pay was cut in half and my living expenses were just as high as back east. I had to drive everywhere so my gas cost had tripled. my kids were bored to death as the schools are way behind here from what they are used to, and sports seem to take priority over math and science{ ie Weddington } We lived in a so called great area. I did all the research. All shiny and new with nothing to do. We are back home in N.Y. and thriving. I'll chalk it up to a learning experience but my kids lost three years they will never get back.
I don't see that much of a difference in medical costs that you refer to in my experience. Can't comment on the pay in that profession.

Are you from NYC and comparing being able to use MTA buses and the subway to a suburban town and its lack of mass transit?

Define "the schools are way behind here". I'd like to know what grade comparisons you are using. Weddington is a highly rated school and the grade levels/test scores don't suggest that sports takes priority over school work. Since the overwhelming majority of kids are not on sports teams, what's the affect of sports on their academic lives?

Old 01-30-2012, 03:56 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,292,682 times
I have not read through this whole thread, so I may be repeating what other people have said. On paper, I do not fit in with the majority of (white) Charlotteans. I am a liberal from the northeast. I prefer walkable cities. I prefer to live in desegregated neighborhoods. I'm not religious. I detest hot weather. When I was younger I would never have thought I could be happy living in the south. But them something happened. I met a circle of friends like me. I started going to plays, symphonies, museums, etc, where I would continually run into the same people with the same interests as me. I joined the Charlotte Film society which screens foreign and independent films.
You know what? It really does not matter where you live. It's who you know. If you have close friends with whom you get together on a regular basis and with whom you have commonalities, you can be happy just about anywhere. And I am happy in Charlotte.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:34 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,703,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie mame View Post
I can only compare my salary here in Charlotte to N.Y. I am in the medical profession. I have worked in four medical offices in and around Charlotte. The doctors here charged much more than in N.Y. and booked more patients, yet my pay was cut in half and my living expenses were just as high as back east. I had to drive everywhere so my gas cost had tripled. my kids were bored to death as the schools are way behind here from what they are used to, and sports seem to take priority over math and science{ ie Weddington } We lived in a so called great area. I did all the research. All shiny and new with nothing to do. We are back home in N.Y. and thriving. I'll chalk it up to a learning experience but my kids lost three years they will never get back.

"Empire State of Mind" Jay-Z | Alicia Keys [OFFICIAL VIDEO] - YouTube

Old 01-31-2012, 07:38 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Kings Mountain National Park is only 30 minutes away (center of uptown). Shorter than 2 hours.

Beach sure is about 3 hours away to SC beaches. You can get down in one day, enjoy the beach, and can come home same day. To me, that is close enough i.e. nearness.

Outside some areas in California, not many can do the mountains one day and then the beach the next. Just saying.
ok I see what your point is on that. I wouldn't call either near per se but the fact you could do either in a day trip makes the point valid.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:43 AM

194 posts, read 430,991 times
Coming from Pittsburgh where the closest beach is 6 1/2 hours away and thats Ocean City MD....living 3 hours to beautiful Charleston SC is an absolute dream. Up north people save all year to go to the beach once a year.....we have been probably 8 times last year because its so close and affordable to go 1-2 days at a time! Can't beat it!!

Old 01-31-2012, 08:29 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,027,209 times
If you care about the list thing, the latest "Best Places to Live in North Carolina (2012)" is dominated by Charlotte suburbs - especially when you consider Charlotte snags the top3...

#1 Marvin
#2 Weddington
#3 Davidson

They love these lists over at the Raleigh board - then again they only really post the ones where they come out on top... lol

Best Places to Live in North Carolina (2012) - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Old 01-31-2012, 11:52 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,163,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
If you care about the list thing, the latest "Best Places to Live in North Carolina (2012)" is dominated by Charlotte suburbs - especially when you consider Charlotte snags the top3...

#1 Marvin
#2 Weddington
#3 Davidson

They love these lists over at the Raleigh board - then again they only really post the ones where they come out on top... lol

Best Places to Live in North Carolina (2012) - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com
wow @ Marvin median household income
Quote:
Population: 6,823
Median household income (adjusted for cost of living): $177,058
Bachelor's degree or higher (25 years and over): 60.3%
Property crime rate per 1,000 residents (burglary and auto thefts): 5.04*

Distance to Familiar Cities:

Charlotte, NC: 24 miles N
Raleigh, NC: 158 miles NE
I assume that 24 miles N is to uptown.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:53 PM

488 posts, read 798,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I just dont know how you can ignore the summer months and say its great outdoor weather. I am baffled by it over and over here. It is NOT great outdoor weather, in fact its terrible outdoor weather 3 months a year. Northern relocators need to hear this.... such bs.

ok, sure winter is great if you hate snow and spring is quite amazing (hate the northern spring),...I agree with that.
That is hilarious. Yes it is warm - it is warm in the Northeast too. We have A/C for the day - go out after the sun is going down and it is lovely. Hot and intolerable? Let me introduce you to CALIFORNIA. Yes California.

Redding CA - try two weeks that it is in the 110s and 120s - it cools off at night to a balmy 90. THAT is miserable. Don't give me that it is a dry heat crap either.

For laughs we used to watch out of towners go into the phone booth (I am that old) and see them try and make a call and laugh when they realized THE PHONE WAS MELTING. Or when you walk accross the street and you see your footprint in the asphault THAT is hot.

electric bill in the summer which we only used between 5 pm and 5 am was SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS. I will never complain about our summers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte