Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2014, 06:57 AM

103 posts, read 162,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
The funny thing is that, traditionally and historically, northerners look down on folks from south of the mason dixon yet they are flocking down here... it's not like there are a bunch of southerners wanting to move up north. Why is that?

I know it's a whole different can of worms but it's interesting and may be worth exploring.
I think the northerners that you stated "that might" look down on "folks from south of the Mason Dixon" continue to live up north. I think southerners that choose to move north are willing to pay some of the highest property taxes in the country and based on where they live some of the longest commutes as well.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:04 AM

631 posts, read 891,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raithfan View Post
Is it just me or has Ms. Savage gone radio silent?
It's better than the previous static.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:08 AM

398 posts, read 618,492 times
[quote=whxwlvr;33844103]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nchammer View Post
You somehow seem annoyed that northerners "flocked" down here, is that true? quote]

Yes.
I have lived it both ways. Grew up here...left Sr. year of high school and just moved back after 30+ years. This is a damn good place to raise kids...why we returned. Having lived in 9 different large metros in the US and abroad we have learned that if you want to get along you have to go along. Being the loud American that complains about the quality of the local food gets you worse food. Coming in and wanting it the way you had it before doesn't work...ever. Most of the people I have met have made a concerted effort to blend in with the people that have paved the way for your current comfort. And don't judge a book by it's cover and by cover I mean clothes and cars. You would be very surprised at who is driving that truck. You don't judge my flannel and cap and I won't judge your track suit and gold chain.
I have had a ton of pm's from people wanting more info on the schools they are moving to and am glad to share all I know or can find for them. That's what we do...help people when there is no benefit to ourselves...it's just the polite thing to do.
I love being back here.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:11 AM

98 posts, read 165,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
Many locals? I'm curious to know where you live because to be honest there aren't many locals in the western part of the county.

I agree that people are people and I don't have anything against northerners but there are definitely philosophical and life style differences between southerners and northerners. The funny thing is that, traditionally and historically, northerners look down on folks from south of the mason dixon yet they are flocking down here... it's not like there are a bunch of southerners wanting to move up north. Why is that?

I know it's a whole different can of worms but it's interesting and may be worth exploring.
I'll sum it up in 2 words. "Snow Sucks" that's one reason I moved. I don't look down on southerners. I really enjoy their hospitality. Being from the North I can say that a lot of northerners have attitudes and can be rude. I see it when I used to go back and visit. I'm glad to be here now.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:15 AM

398 posts, read 618,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONYMETS View Post
I'll sum it up in 2 words. "Snow Sucks" that's one reason I moved. I don't look down on southerners. I really enjoy their hospitality. Being from the North I can say that a lot of northerners have attitudes and can be rude. I see it when I used to go back and visit. I'm glad to be here now.
Now if we can just make you an Atlanta Braves fan

Old 03-12-2014, 07:15 AM

99 posts, read 178,941 times
Quote:
How do you make a general statement like that???? Maybe most of the Northerners YOU MET may somehow look down on you, but please do make absolutes. I want to know what philosophical and life style differences there are. Let me ask, how you lived in the north? if not, how would you know what the lifestyle is in say a NY or Boston is. You somehow seem annoyed that northerners "flocked" down here, is that true? If it is, why? Just to let you know, if you look at a map, Parkwood is the "western" part of the county. surprise, surprise, I hang out with a lot of people from Parkwood, are there a lot of locals in Parkwood or no?
Yes, very much so. There are lots of locals in Parkwood. Remember my earlier posts about race and socioeconomics. I pointed out the different demographics of Parkwood then Cuthberston. The reason Parkwood is looked down upon primarily by "Yankees"? Don't be naive that northern folks in neighborhoods with signs outside who moved here recently are not liking the idea of their precious little boy from or girl from L.I. hangin with poorer kids from the country. They see the difference in the cars driven, the accents, the racial makeup, the education level of parents etc. I don't know why its so hard to accept that many of the loudest screamers opposition is deeply rooted in their prejudices. Can you be the exception? Absolutely.

Again is the loudest opposition still coming from the eastern edge of Western Union County? Absolutely. Its foolish to defends those who at the heart of the matter naively thought they were safely ensconsed in the protection of Western Union County with its transplants and higher demographics. Now they are having to go to school with Locals. I still don't get why anyone can't see that at this point. Look around and those continuing to fight and raise money and not just accept the change, vote in November and make the best of it now.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:26 AM

103 posts, read 162,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONYMETS View Post
I have to agree with you. As a lifelong NY Mets fan and a born and bred New Yorker (35+ yrs) that worked in Manhattan for 11 years I have had my fill of snow, attitude and rudeness. These of course are broad strokes generalizations because I can tell you that I have seen hundreds of New Yorkers stop and help visitors with directions and actually flag down taxis for them as well!

Include this in the category of broad stroke generalizations):

Northerners: If they don't like you they will tell you to your face whether you ask for their opinion or not.
Southerners: They will be all sweet and polite and tell you that they like you and behind your back reveal their true feelings about you.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:34 AM

98 posts, read 132,652 times
[quote=whxwlvr;33844103]
Quote:
You somehow seem annoyed that northerners "flocked" down here, is that true? quote]

Yes.

I give you credit for honesty....so its fair to say YOU are the one predisposed not to like outsiders as opposed to an outsider not liking you....here is the ironic part, who sold the developers the land that allowed them to build to give us "outsiders" the opportunity to live here? Yup, your fellow "locals" sold out and took the $$$$. So you should have some issue with your fellow lifelong residents to allow us nasty outsiders into your little world

Old 03-12-2014, 07:41 AM

189 posts, read 326,710 times
[quote=nchammer;33845531]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whxwlvr View Post

I give you credit for honesty....so its fair to say YOU are the one predisposed not to like outsiders as opposed to an outsider not liking you....here is the ironic part, who sold the developers the land that allowed them to build to give us "outsiders" the opportunity to live here? Yup, your fellow "locals" sold out and took the $$$$. So you should have some issue with your fellow lifelong residents to allow us nasty outsiders into your little world
lol, yup...that nasty outsider from NJ that I married many, many years ago has been a horrible student when it comes to learning about living in the south.

lighten up man.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:45 AM

631 posts, read 891,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whxwlvr View Post
Mark this day, WaxhawMike and I finally agree on something. I knew it would happen eventually .
And I was just getting to like y'all... I've been here 12 years, does that count yet? My kids were born here though, so be nice to them.

It's much more than just a northern migration. If I go around my neighborhood or kids' schools, there are people from everywhere. Natives, FL, WA, WI, IL, CA, GA, AL, AZ, OH, TN, NY, PA, etc. All over the place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte