Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2014, 07:45 PM

549 posts, read 680,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
Not even close to what you said now is it? (I quote: "anti-native", "anti-farmer")

Nah we wouldn't want the westsiders telling us how we ought to be.. they just too uppity for us common folks..right?

Actually, maybe some of us are just tired of the good ol boys doing bidness down at the Brown Derby with a wink wink nudge nudge and proverbial brown paper bag passed under the table....

BIGOT

: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance (Merriam-Webster)

Me pointing out that Scribe is anti-native and anti-farmer is not bigoted. By the way, I live on the western side of Union County and do not own a farm. Some of us care about the future of Union County and all its residents. We can see beyond the interests of our own neighborhood. The same can't be said for Scribe or his gang of three. Many in this county are here for the long haul. We don't just see our home as an investment. We aren't just passing through. The financial stability of the county and the welfare of all of its residents is important to us. (Before you have a freak out, those comments are not meant to imply that you are just passing through or don't care about Union County.) Opposing a group of candidates that is so obviously biased towards one segment of the county while they show open contempt for another does not make one bigoted.

Additionally, your equation of being a native or farmer to being a bigot seems a bit bigoted as does your poor attempt at mocking colloquial Union County language.

Last edited by BubbaHelms; 04-23-2014 at 07:53 PM..

Old 04-23-2014, 07:50 PM

451 posts, read 712,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Interesting. Aren't the large areas left mostly in the Marvin or Weddington town limits? i.e. Hopewell Farms?
MR cluster, Yes.

Marvin, No.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:33 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,427,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
BIGOT

: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance (Merriam-Webster)

Me pointing out that Scribe is anti-native and anti-farmer is not bigoted.

We'll have to agree to disagree I suppose. Call it bigoted or prejudiced or whatever when you call someone anti-anything, without providing significant proof, simply shows ignorance, and to me fits nicely into the definition that you just posted.

Quote:
The same can't be said for Scribe or his gang of three.
Again, site some proof, otherwise its just hyperbole.

Quote:
Many in this county are here for the long haul. We don't just see our home as an investment. We aren't just passing through. The financial stability of the county and the welfare of all of its residents is important to us. (Before you have a freak out, those comments are not meant to imply that you are just passing through or don't care about Union County.)
Definitely not passing through, born and raised here, left for a while but returned to raise my kids here. I'm definitely in the camp of wanting the best for everyone in the county regardless of who they are, where they live or what they do. But I can't say that my elected officials are in that same camp and I can't say that they have been for at least 20 odd years. So if these people that are running can do a better job, then they might get my vote. They certainly can't do worse than what we have right now.

Quote:
Opposing a group of candidates that is so obviously biased towards one segment of the county while they show open contempt for another does not make one bigoted.
Never said it did and you are certainly within your right to oppose what you wish, please grant me (and others) the same courtesy. However, when you paint someone as "anti-native" or "anti-farmer" or say that they show open contempt, without providing one spit of evidence, then there is definitely some prejudiced.

Quote:
Additionally, your equation of being a native or farmer to being a bigot seems a bit bigoted as does your poor attempt at mocking colloquial Union County language.
Again, I am a native and related to eight generations worth of Union County farmers, so spare me the vexed attitude.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:14 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
I will take the over and also bet on another major redistricting in less than 5 years.

A very large property in the Marvin area is about to go on the market.
There's nothing in the MR cluster to the scale of Millbridge or Lawson. Which has large areas already cleared, active building, and clearing more as we sit here. There's no competing with that. If it's Marvin proper it won't be 4 houses per acre like Waxhaw. If it's neither I'd love to see the BOCC justifying approval for the permits.

Look for the Booster Wing addition to MRHS coming soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Over.

Our first good look will be this fall for grades k-4, 6-7, and 9. The others will be skewed by the grandfathering. Focus on the elementary schools numbers.
UCPS posted updated forecasts including grandfathering... so there ya go, you can see how well his crystal ball was working this Fall for all grades in all schools.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:00 AM

Quote:
We'll have to agree to disagree I suppose. Call it bigoted or prejudiced or whatever when you call someone anti-anything, without providing significant proof, simply shows ignorance, and to me fits nicely into the definition that you just posted.

Again, site some proof, otherwise its just hyperbole..
Why don't you just read their sites?

The Village Scribe
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Villa...10258752394828
https://www.facebook.com/village.scribe?fref=ts
https://www.facebook.com/BeTheDifferenceInUC

Look behind their coded messages. Look at newspaper articles from previous years. I actually have a job, so I don't have time to read through past articles to get quotes for you. Read them yourself.

Speaking of hypocritical---I don't see you cite proof of any of your garbage like "forced busing."

Quote:
Definitely not passing through, born and raised here, left for a while but returned to raise my kids here. I'm definitely in the camp of wanting the best for everyone in the county regardless of who they are, where they live or what they do. But I can't say that my elected officials are in that same camp and I can't say that they have been for at least 20 odd years. So if these people that are running can do a better job, then they might get my vote. They certainly can't do worse than what we have right now.

Never said it did and you are certainly within your right to oppose what you wish, please grant me (and others) the same courtesy. However, when you paint someone as "anti-native" or "anti-farmer" or say that they show open contempt, without providing one spit of evidence, then there is definitely some prejudiced.

Again, I am a native and related to eight generations worth of Union County farmers, so spare me the vexed attitude.
I'm well aware that you are a native as you are constantly pointing it out. I'm also well aware that you are a sanctimonious jerk to everyone no matter where they are from and particularly to anyone who doesn't agree with you or cares about something besides their property value. Your opinion is not always the RIGHT opinion. I'm certainly not stopping you from having any opinion or the right to "oppose what you wish." If you recall, you attacked me by insinuating I was a "bigot" simply because I don't support your buddy DiBiasio and the gang of 3.

I am here to talk about issues not defend myself from personal attacks from you. Don't throw punches at me if you don't want them thrown back at you though. If you don't want to debate the issues, go back to obsessing about your property value.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:48 AM

527 posts, read 744,714 times
Here's some good old boy BOE logic for you... We must not split up a neighborhood, even though there are two sections that aren't physically connected. Those kids, living miles apart, must go to the same cluster. However, it's perfectly logical for a 9th grader and 10th grader that share a last name, live in the same house, and sleep in the same bedroom to be split up.

As far as the politics... your crew had their shot and they blew it, bottom line. Will a new group do better? Maybe not, but the sure as heck can't do any worse. I get that your mostly talking about the BOCC right now but one thing is for sure, Yerckeck. Must. Go.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:56 AM

Ok. I'll give you a couple of the jabs at farmers/natives/eastern UC.

Any fool can see through the "New Vision" and rebranding advocated by the Gang of 3. They use code words but it is so obvious. "As you know, we must win all 3 seats to change the BOCC majority and the direction the "collective" mind set is taking the county." https://www.facebook.com/BeTheDifferenceInUC

In Commissioner Baucom’s world: the minority is the majority » The Village Scribe

Candidate Allan Baucom’s Farm grows `$1M Subsidies´ » The Village Scribe

I could go on...

Last edited by BubbaHelms; 04-24-2014 at 06:11 AM..

Old 04-24-2014, 07:31 AM

398 posts, read 619,164 times
Great to see some old faces back (and yes, we have been following the banter). Would love to get everyone's opinion on the up-coming elections. I am in a quandry on candidates. Have been following the forums, online discussions, etc. but still can't get a good feel for the crowd. I have reached out to them and heard back from most but would value your thoughts on the field.
I, like many of you, grew up here but moved away for a looooong time and have recently (relatively) moved back because, despite all the ass clownery, it is a good place to raise kids. I am caught between "the devil you know" (brown derby, wink wink) and the "tax, build (in the West), tax". There doesn't seem to be middle ground candidates, like Bubba said, that will benefit the entire county while still being good managers of the county funds.
Something HAS to give. Residential dev. can't pay the bills (especially with no impact fees). No one wants increased industrial base in their backyard (I don't want Waxhaw to look like Hwy 74 either) and the taxes aren't covering it (and tell me who dares say they will raise the taxes).
At the risk of being told I say this A LOT, we came from the Chicago 'burbs. Taxes were out of control. Higher that LI. And it all went to schools. I benefitted from those schools but in the end several sat empty while taxes continued to rise (I think that is why I am so adamant on this).
I have spoken to several people that feel that Sherri is smart and capable but I can't get past her developer ties. IMHO, residential dev. needs to be reigned in (Waxhaw needs to adjust its zoning restrictions) and an industrial tax base needs to be established...go ahead, I'm ready for the abuse.
You all are smart...what do you think a good direction for the county might be?
Lastly, I'm not looking for a fight...just your opinion. I'm not going to get into rich v poor, burbs v rural, etc. It's not worth the time. I am trying to have a better formed opinion.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
Here's some good old boy BOE logic for you... We must not split up a neighborhood, even though there are two sections that aren't physically connected. Those kids, living miles apart, must go to the same cluster. However, it's perfectly logical for a 9th grader and 10th grader that share a last name, live in the same house, and sleep in the same bedroom to be split up.

As far as the politics... your crew had their shot and they blew it, bottom line. Will a new group do better? Maybe not, but the sure as heck can't do any worse. I get that your mostly talking about the BOCC right now but one thing is for sure, Yerckeck. Must. Go.
Whose "crew"? BOE members are elected by the people in their district. The BOCC candidates are voted on by the WHOLE county. Three of the five current commissioners are from western Union County (Waxhaw and Weddington). Western Union County bears as much responsibility for electing the current representatives as anyone else in the county; they can't blame others for their choices.

It seems like one side of the county is upset that their elected representatives are looking out for the interests of the whole county rather than only the interests of their neighbors. I guess many think electing the Gang of 3 will be the solution to their problem.

Proof of who is behind the Gang of 3--- See who is listed as their campaign treasurer.

http://www.co.union.nc.us/Portals/0/...hler_Tracy.pdf
http://www.co.union.nc.us/Portals/0/...pson_lance.pdf
http://www.co.union.nc.us/Portals/0/...miston_kim.pdf
DiBiasio=Village Scribe

Also, check out who runs and supports the We Can Make a Difference PAC and note the CAPS members making donations.
http://www.co.union.nc.us/Portals/0/...s/WCMADPAC.pdf

Last edited by BubbaHelms; 04-24-2014 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: Additional Info

Old 04-24-2014, 08:40 AM

631 posts, read 892,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raithfan View Post
Great to see some old faces back (and yes, we have been following the banter). Would love to get everyone's opinion on the up-coming elections. I am in a quandry on candidates. Have been following the forums, online discussions, etc. but still can't get a good feel for the crowd. I have reached out to them and heard back from most but would value your thoughts on the field.
I, like many of you, grew up here but moved away for a looooong time and have recently (relatively) moved back because, despite all the ass clownery, it is a good place to raise kids. I am caught between "the devil you know" (brown derby, wink wink) and the "tax, build (in the West), tax". There doesn't seem to be middle ground candidates, like Bubba said, that will benefit the entire county while still being good managers of the county funds.
Something HAS to give. Residential dev. can't pay the bills (especially with no impact fees). No one wants increased industrial base in their backyard (I don't want Waxhaw to look like Hwy 74 either) and the taxes aren't covering it (and tell me who dares say they will raise the taxes).
At the risk of being told I say this A LOT, we came from the Chicago 'burbs. Taxes were out of control. Higher that LI. And it all went to schools. I benefitted from those schools but in the end several sat empty while taxes continued to rise (I think that is why I am so adamant on this).
I have spoken to several people that feel that Sherri is smart and capable but I can't get past her developer ties. IMHO, residential dev. needs to be reigned in (Waxhaw needs to adjust its zoning restrictions) and an industrial tax base needs to be established...go ahead, I'm ready for the abuse.
You all are smart...what do you think a good direction for the county might be?
Lastly, I'm not looking for a fight...just your opinion. I'm not going to get into rich v poor, burbs v rural, etc. It's not worth the time. I am trying to have a better formed opinion.
I thought I knew who I would vote for and then I watched the video from last nights forum. Now I'm thinking "none of the above."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte