Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2010, 10:36 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
I went back and looked up your posts there. Surprised at their responses. Well, there goes my theory about no controversy there. There are a few knowledgable people from Greensboro on there-natives or long time residents, but I don't see them on as much as they used to be. Keep checking back on the mill question. They might pop on and be able to help. Good luck on your research.
Thanks, Catrick. James was one of the early settlers to that area, & he had a cousin in the general vicinity, too. Jamestown, NC is named in honor of him. I thought for sure that that would get a quick response. Some of his descendants are still in the Greensboro area. Fooled me.

I'm descended from one of his sons from his 1st wife, Martha Griffith (She came over from Wales with brothers. I don't know if Andy is related.) My line went from NC to GA. James & a son from the 2nd wife went too. James died there. Later, when the settlement failed, my line came back, briefly, to NC & then went to Ohio. I think that someone from one of Ani's families went to Ohio at the same time. I want to check on that. It would be pretty funny if it was her family & all these years later we met up online.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:06 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,027,209 times
Does anyone else cringe with the D<insert family member> abbreviations? I just don't understand how something like this took hold and became so popular on forums when they go against typical internet/TXT lingo... For instance, DD is something that most people would use slang speak as a comment on a person's <ahem> "endowments".

I'm not certain I've ever actually seen DW used... which is a nice testament to us men. The last time I called her my "Darling Wife" it was completely sarcastic! lol

Old 02-02-2010, 01:50 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,644,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Thanks, Catrick. James was one of the early settlers to that area, & he had a cousin in the general vicinity, too. Jamestown, NC is named in honor of him. I thought for sure that that would get a quick response. Some of his descendants are still in the Greensboro area. Fooled me.

I'm descended from one of his sons from his 1st wife, Martha Griffith (She came over from Wales with brothers. I don't know if Andy is related.) My line went from NC to GA. James & a son from the 2nd wife went too. James died there. Later, when the settlement failed, my line came back, briefly, to NC & then went to Ohio. I think that someone from one of Ani's families went to Ohio at the same time. I want to check on that. It would be pretty funny if it was her family & all these years later we met up online.
Not to sound like a teenager but wow, that is awesome. I really hope you find the information you are looking for.

And where in Ohio? My husband was born there. It would be funny if your family knew Ani's family back then.

Just think you are only looking into one line in your family history unless you have looked into all of them. That's a lot of work. Let me know what you find out. I am a history buff so anything historical interests me!

Old 02-02-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Not to sound like a teenager but wow, that is awesome. I really hope you find the information you are looking for.

And where in Ohio? My husband was born there. It would be funny if your family knew Ani's family back then.

Just think you are only looking into one line in your family history unless you have looked into all of them. That's a lot of work. Let me know what you find out. I am a history buff so anything historical interests me!
LOL, I work on all of them, as time allows.

These people initially moved to Miami County. My line then moved on to Darke County.

I have other lines in Summit, Portage, Stark & Columbiana, & Cuyahoga, that I can remember.

Actually, the Mendenhalls are one of the easiest lines that I have. They are well documented & my line is particularly well documented. (referring to James) I descend from his son, Phineas. Phineas is fairly well documented because of 2 things. The death of his eldest son & first wife in a Creek Indian attack in Wilkes County, GA. The youngest son was kidnapped at that time, & because he was working with British officials to get his son back, he was put on trial. (It was a bad year for him.)

Old 02-02-2010, 02:48 PM

Sounds like a really bad year for him! Just fascinating to know where you come from.

Our family at one time knew my maternal grandfather's lineage quite far back. Someone on his side put together all the information passed down. This was in the days before copy machines. My grandfather had one of the few copies until my grandmother, after a few drinks, got mad at him a threw it in the furnace. My Mom and uncle didn't worry too much thinking they could always get another copy, but as time went on and people passed away they never did. So we went from having all the information on his side to having almost none. My sister took a genealogy class and was making some progress, but they cancelled the class for lack of interest before she got too far.

Ever since I saw "Roots" genealogy always interested me. Perhaps I need to start working on it! Btw, I saw "Roots" when it first aired so I probably shouldn't wait too long.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:03 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
New Cuban Restaurant?? Please let me know so I can forward the info the ex. He'll be excited to try it..I've had soooo much yum yum cuban food here that I'm getting tired of it..Time to take a break for now...That way I miss it and then attack it again!

Old 02-02-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Sounds like a really bad year for him! Just fascinating to know where you come from.

Our family at one time knew my maternal grandfather's lineage quite far back. Someone on his side put together all the information passed down. This was in the days before copy machines. My grandfather had one of the few copies until my grandmother, after a few drinks, got mad at him a threw it in the furnace. My Mom and uncle didn't worry too much thinking they could always get another copy, but as time went on and people passed away they never did. So we went from having all the information on his side to having almost none. My sister took a genealogy class and was making some progress, but they cancelled the class for lack of interest before she got too far.

Ever since I saw "Roots" genealogy always interested me. Perhaps I need to start working on it! Btw, I saw "Roots" when it first aired so I probably shouldn't wait too long.
I saw it the 1st time too.

Well. . .I recommend that you go to the public library & ask them to show you how to get Heritage Quest on your computer at home. It's free on NC Live. You can access census records. Some are indexed & the others you have to browse, page by page.

You have to go to the library so that they can give you their password.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:16 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Does anyone else cringe with the D<insert family member> abbreviations? I just don't understand how something like this took hold and became so popular on forums when they go against typical internet/TXT lingo... For instance, DD is something that most people would use slang speak as a comment on a person's <ahem> "endowments".

I'm not certain I've ever actually seen DW used... which is a nice testament to us men. The last time I called her my "Darling Wife" it was completely sarcastic! lol
Nope. The cruise line forums using the D abbreviations heavily.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I saw it the 1st time too.

Well. . .I recommend that you go to the public library & ask them to show you how to get Heritage Quest on your computer at home. It's free on NC Live. You can access census records. Some are indexed & the others you have to browse, page by page.

You have to go to the library so that they can give you their password.
Thanks for the tip. I will check it out. I am going to check with my sisters just to make sure Grandpa's stuff was totally lost. They are so much older than I am and know more.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I will check it out. I am going to check with my sisters just to make sure Grandpa's stuff was totally lost. They are so much older than I am and know more.
If some still exists, go through & verify it.

Someone had researched a friend's mother's line. What was passed down was that an ancestor received a land grant from the King of England (This was colonial NJ). She started verifying it. Yes, indeed, he got a grant from the King. He got a grant to operate a "bawdy house".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte